Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 06:56
Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

By Beatles you mean McCartney/ Starr?

No thanks.
Regrettably their  two key members are dead. I know, Beatles´ comeback was always in utopian level, especially  just nowadays. But wishes are wishes, although unreal ones.

I thought you meant realistic wishes not Genie in the bottle type.
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 07:21
Everybody´s dreamer. Somebody more, somebody less.
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 09:21
I'd like to see a reformed Procol Harum doing a new Lp, and also one last effort from Daltrey & Townsend, with the latter doing the definitive album dealing with old age.

As for existing bands having a break, on the evidence of The incident, PT could do with a bit of a breather and rethink.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 09:35

Everybody´s dreamer. Somebody more, somebody less.

Very profound.

Irrelevant though.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 09:39
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

As for existing bands having a break, on the evidence of The incident, PT could do with a bit of a breather and rethink.

You mean bands should quit for a while after releasing their most successful album? That's an interesting strategy, you should email it to them and to their manager, LOL

Edited by harmonium.ro - August 22 2010 at 10:11
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 09:44
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

You means should quit for a while after releasing their most successful album? That's an interesting strategy, you should email it to them and to their manager, LOL

I know, daft isn't itLOL I don't, though, always equate successful with good. Waters put it well once, when he asked whether Thriller could be judged a more serious and worthy piece of work than The Final Cut just because it sold a pile more copies.

I know it was extremely successful, and I wish the band nothing but good fortune, but I found it seriously dull and, in places, shamefully derivative.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 10:11
^ well that's just your taste; and if the band's genuine stylistic move has found echo in so many people (more than ever in the band's history), don't you think that pretending them to keep playing the style you like is unfair? 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 12:43

^ well that's just your taste; and if the band's genuine stylistic move has found echo in so many people (more than ever in the band's history), don't you think that pretending them to keep playing the style you like is unfair? 

Not at all. I'm not being unfair, I just don't like the album, an opinion, BTW, shared by quite a few members of the site. I also would hesitate to describe the album as a genuine stylistic move when parts of it are such a blatant rip off of other band's output, and, in one case, virtually certain to end up in a successful prosecution should Messrs Gilmour & Waters have the need to take it to court. I say this, BTW, as a huge neo-prog fan.

What I personally loved about the band was just how different, exciting, creative, and, dare I say it, progressive they were. There is, to these ears, nothing remotely progressive about The Incident, and, try as I have (and I have really tried) I simply cannot listen to it any more. I find it utterly boring.

These are my personal opinions, and I wholly respect the fact that you, and many others on the forum, take a different opinion. That's fine. it would be boring if we were all the sameWink

BTW - I returned from a week's holiday in France last Wednesday - nicest holiday I have ever had, and the lovliest people I have had the pleasure of meetingClap
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 12:48

Not at all. I'm not being unfair, I just don't like the album, an opinion, BTW, shared by quite a few members of the site. I also would hesitate to describe the album as a genuine stylistic move when parts of it are such a blatant rip off of other band's output, and, in one case, virtually certain to end up in a successful prosecution should Messrs Gilmour & Waters have the need to take it to court. I say this, BTW, as a huge neo-prog fan.

What I personally loved about the band was just how different, exciting, creative, and, dare I say it, progressive they were. There is, to these ears, nothing remotely progressive about The Incident, and, try as I have (and I have really tried) I simply cannot listen to it any more. I find it utterly boring.

These are my personal opinions, and I wholly respect the fact that you, and many others on the forum, take a different opinion. That's fine. it would be boring if we were all the sameWink

BTW - I returned from a week's holiday in France last Wednesday - nicest holiday I have ever had, and the lovliest people I have had the pleasure of meetingClap
You're being selfish rather than unfair.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 12:49
So you think a band should stop when they're not prog any more, because you don't like them any more? And that if they pay homage to those who inspired them, they're "ripping of"?

That's not just opinion, but arrogant looking down on the band (based on those opinions).

Lame Thumbs Down
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 13:09

Simply, better to disband.

I never got this way of thinking. As long as a band likes to do what they're doing, they've all the reasons in the world to keep going, and that's all that comes into it. Sure AC/DC has made 15 albums based on a simple template, but damn if it ain't a great rock album that they keep re-doing. Only with different riffs and different lyrics = different songs = different albums. They like it, lots of other people like it, I don't see anyone should have a reason to complain. If you don't like it, ignore it. Which of course could be said about me and this post I'm replying to, but what the hell.

But yeah, when it comes to prog I'd surely love to see for example Änglagård and Höyry-Kone live.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 13:32

So you think a band should stop when they're not prog any more, because you don't like them any more? And that if they pay homage to those who inspired them, they're "ripping of"?

That's not just opinion, but arrogant looking down on the band (based on those opinions).

Lame Thumbs Down

I don't wish to get into a long argument about this, but to answer your points:

No I don't.
No I don't
Sometimes, yes

I don't see how the hell not liking an album can possibly be described as "looking down on a band". It just means I don't like the thing.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 13:33

Sorry, Ian, but that is an unfair comment. At the end of the day, I am allowed to dislike the bloody thing, and I don't see how this could possibly be described as selfish.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 13:45

No I don't.
No I don't

Well then stop saying those things that you tell you don't say. BTW I don't know what was the third point you answered, I only had two points.

I don't see how the hell not liking an album can possibly be described as "looking down on a band". It just means I don't like the thing.

Saying that you didn't like an album is fine, saying that they should stop (because you don't like what they're doing) is looking down on them, IMO in quite an arrogant manner - and it had become rather tiring and annoying as I've read you insisting with this for more than half  year on every topic that could hold such discussions.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 13:47

Sorry, Ian, but that is an unfair comment. At the end of the day, I am allowed to dislike the bloody thing, and I don't see how this could possibly be described as selfish.

You are free to like whatever you want (really), but please stop looking down on the band and on us mortals who are enjoying what the band is up to now.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 14:13

No I don't.
No I don't

Well then stop saying those things that you tell you don't say. BTW I don't know what was the third point you answered, I only had two points.

Saying that you didn't like an album is fine, saying that they should stop (because you don't like what they're doing) is looking down on them, IMO in quite an arrogant manner - and it had become rather tiring and annoying as I've read you insisting with this for more than half  year on every topic that could hold such discussions.

Okay, then, we will have a long argument.

You asked three questions:

Should bands stop;

When they are not prog any more? My answer is no.
When I don't like them any more? My answer is no
If they pay homage to a band that inspired them, are they ripping off? My answer is sometimes, yes.

I am sorry, but I think you are absolutely misreading my intent. The original post was to name bands who should stop, in other words it was asking an opinion, which I gave. Is that any more arrogant that previous posters who quoted AC/DC, Rush, Deep Purple & etc.? I don't think so, and I merely expressed my opinion on why I dislike that particular album.

I do not mean to come across as arrogant, honestly, and your final comment about my previous posts is, frankly, insulting and completely unnecessary. I enjoy PA, and the PM's I have received over the time I have been a member have indicated that some of my contributions are valued and appreciated. I certainly do not recognise the person that you describe, although I suppose I would say that.

Not one of my posts on this could in any way be interpreted as looking down on you because you like that album. I don't know you, except through this forum, and, to put it bluntly, whether you like or dislike an album is of no interest to me whatsoever, aside from being an interesting debating point on this forum. Being even more blunt, I don't really care, and not one of my opinions on this album, which I now loathe even more as a result of this exchange, could ever be described as looking down on you as an individual. I made comments about an album I do not care for, simple as that, and I rather mistakenly thought that was the whole point of PA, to express an opinion on such things.

Coming as it does from a site admin, your last comment will make me think seriously about whether I wish to carry on using this site.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 15:22

Sorry I wasn't trying to be unfair, just accurate. I think you are losing sight of your own argument. You can dislike waht you like, no argument.But in this fantasy thread you say that due to your personal dislike of this album you would deprive PT fans of more music.

I hope that clears my comment up.Smile
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 20:03

Sorry I wasn't trying to be unfair, just accurate. I think you are losing sight of your own argument. You can dislike waht you like, no argument.But in this fantasy thread you say that due to your personal dislike of this album you would deprive PT fans of more music.

And in the same way, many AC DC, Purple fans, hell even Rush fans would like to see their favourite bands carry on.  Just because they don't have the 'progressive glamour' associated with Incident for godforsaken reasons does not mean their fans don't have the right to want more music from their favourite bands. I am with lazland on this,  if everybody is to express their personal opinion freely, then people have to keep their personal baggage aside and not get into character assassinations.

By the way, I am one of those who would like to see both AC DC and Purple stop, Rush have still got more good material left in them, I reckon.

Edited by rogerthat - August 22 2010 at 20:05
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 20:10
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

And in the same way, many AC DC, Purple fans, hell even Rush fans would like to see their favourite bands carry on.  Just because they don't have the 'progressive glamour' associated with Incident for godforsaken reasons does not mean their fans don't have the right to want more music from their favourite bands. I am with lazland on this,  if everybody is to express their personal opinion freely, then people have to keep their personal baggage aside and not get into character assassinations.

By the way, I am one of those who would like to see both AC DC and Purple stop, Rush have still got more good material left in them, I reckon.

Interesting that you see my comment as "character assassination" as you could not be further from the truth. Being selfish doesn't have to be a bad thing. I think most people are selfish to a certain extent. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 20:11

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Interesting that you see my comment as "character assassination" as you could not be further from the truth. Being selfish doesn't have to be a bad thing. I think most people are selfish to a certain extent. 

No, I was referring to harmonium.ro and lazland's exchange and, perhaps mistakenly, took your last post to be defending the former.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>