Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do the Beatles get too much credit..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 23>
Poll Question: See opening post for question.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
48 [32.88%]
95 [65.07%]
3 [2.05%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 11:37
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

When you say "all they did was write uncomplicated pop songs", are you aware that doctoral theses have been written on the subtle intricacies of "She's Leaving Home" and "A Day in the Life", or that "Eleanor Rigby", composed in Dorian mode with double string quartet,  Is heavily influenced by both Vivaldi and Bernard Hermann?

Yes, I was going to bring up this.  As in, not exactly what you wrote but it's simply preposterous to dub Day in the Life or Eleanor Rigby simple pop songs.  O RLY, would love to hear those millions of pop songs that make these appear 'simple' or dumb.  But it is clear from his later post that he is simply holding onto an irrational 'hate' and doesn't really have much to offer by way of coherent argument to support his stand. You are free to dislike the Beatles as much as you wish and also free to suggest that hero-worship of theirs could do with some tempering down but attempting to completely discredit and deny their importance in rock music (and 40 years after the event, no less!) only reflects badly on your own rock appreciation and awareness, not on Beatles or its fans.

Edited by rogerthat - February 22 2011 at 11:39
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 06:58

Originally posted by Barking Weasel Barking Weasel wrote:

To me, the Beatles were more of a pop hit group than a rock band.  Sort of a skilled boy-band of the 60's; I think they are incredibly overrated, particularly in the singing department.  They had a few innovative tendencies, but to me they will always be second-tier in comparison to the Animals or the Beach Boys.  I will grant that their music has aged quite well from the Abbey Road/Srgt Pepper era (especially compared to Frank Zappa's early work), but all they did was write uncomplicated pop songs.  I've never understood the appeal of albums like "Rubber Soul" or "Revolver," both of which I find incredibly annoying.  Most of their music sounds dated, trite, tacky, peppy, commercialized, and lacking in timelessness.  On the flipside, albums like "Let It Be" are overproduced schlock.  I can't stand the Beatles, or anything they represent.  Even the Bee-Gees and the Monkees are more enjoyable than Lennon and Co. from my standpoint, since they were at least explicitly commercial and didn't try to mask themselves behind cutesy garbage facades like Srgt Pepper.    

So, I take it you don't like the Beatles? Wink

Your subjective negativity aside, I believe you've missed the boat on this one. When you mention "they had a few innovative tendencies",  I must refer you to the first page of this thread where Floydman documented a long and detailed list of innovations that is incomparable. I might add that Help and Hard Day's Night (and in 1969, Let it Be) were influential in the making of later rock movies and rockumentaries, and the advent of the music video format was profoundly effected by The Beatles' experimental work (starting in 1966 with a promotional piece for "Rain" and brought into further focus with "Strawberry Fields Forever") .

When you say "all they did was write uncomplicated pop songs", are you aware that doctoral theses have been written on the subtle intricacies of "She's Leaving Home" and "A Day in the Life", or that "Eleanor Rigby", composed in Dorian mode with double string quartet,  Is heavily influenced by both Vivaldi and Bernard Hermann? In addition, the influences of composer Karlheinz Stockhausen (whose likeness appears in the back row of the famous photo on the Sgt. Peppers album) is evident in several more avante-garde offerings from the Beatles (Stockhausen was also a notable influence of Zappa, The Who and Pink Floyd).

As far as the Beach Boys, they admitted their innovative Pet Shop Sounds was influenced by Rubber Soul, the Bee-Gees were ardent Beatle admirers and copiers, and The Monkees were literally invented to mimic the Beatles (with Neil Diamond shadow-composing mock Beatles tunes for The Monkees' use).

As far as their music sounding "dated, trite, tacky, peppy, commercialized, and lacking in timelessness",  Beatles music has been played or excerpted by Hendrix, Bowie, Cocker, Sinatra, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Clapton, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure, Oasis (the Gallaghers being immense fans), the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ozzie Osbourne, The Ben Folds Five, Franz Ferdinand, Fiona Apple, and countless others; in fact, the song "Yesterday" is the most covered rock song in history.

So, is it the Beatles lacking timelessness, or are you simply out of time? I am opting for the latter. By the way, have you heard the Beatles' remastered albums? The entire catalogue sold 3x platinum in the U.S. -- more than 40 years after the albums were first released. I think the Beatles will outlast both of us.
That's more or less what I was going to say, thanks. I would also add that calling The Beatles "second-tier" compared to The Animals is just ridiculous. OK, The Animals had a few good singles (the biggest of which wasn't even their song) but I can't think of any album of theirs that is generally rated amongst the greatest of all time, whereas The Beatles would have 4 or 5.

As far as singing goes, listen to the backing vocals on "Here, There and Everywhere" - they were recorded live in the studio by the Beatles standing round 1 mike. The lead vocal's not too shabby either.

Lacking in timelessness? Still voted amongst the greatest artists/albums of all time after over 40 years?
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 00:23
We all know Dream Theater was the primary font of innovation in early rock music.
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conor Fynes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 00:16
Overrated, yes. Even their best albums seem to get elated more than they should.
Blue Effect View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Effect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 23:22

"Yesterday" is the most covered rock song in history.
Surreal "Yesterday" story....

An aquaintance of mine in the Czech Republic was drunk one night and drove into a train and died. Since he wasn't religious the funeral service was your standard commie-era city hall affair. They had the casket lying on a plank that extended out of the wall facing the mourners. When the speaker finished up a Muzak version of Yesterday started playing and the casket was slowly swallowed up into the wall. One of his male business associates showed up with his hair dyed bright blue which also added to the strangeness.   

I cannot hear that song without thinking of that funeral.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 21:15

^The only pioneering aspects of the Beatles were manifested in how they marketed themselves (movies, tv, action figures, etc.) and in the innovation of certain recording techniques that they used.  The influence of the classical composers you listed seems negligible, in that the Beatles did not set out to replicate those musical elements in their songs.  They have more in common with Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry (who were more obvious direct musical influences) than with Vivaldi.  Listening to their songs gives me a distinct impression that they were focused less on the music, and more on vocal harmony and pop singing.  In this way, they are incredibly innovative if you are talking about Britney Spears.

I'm sorry, but your lack of credible information regarding The Beatles does nothing to bolster your argument regarding the group,  nor does your disregard imply anything but a lack of musical reference. The great Leonard Bernstein said admiringly that Lennon/McCartney were the "Schuberts of our time", William Mann, classical critic of The Times in the 1960s connected cadences present in their compositions to Mahler, and Allen Kozinn, classical music critic of the New York Times, wrote a book about the structure of Beatles compositions. These are classically trained professionals we are referring to who are more interested in symphonies than rock music, but they have no issue referring to the classical references found in Beatles multi-key masterworks.

The use of dominants (chords built on the fifth degree of the prevailing key), carefully ascending or descending arpeggios, the generation of tension and release through resolution, perfect fifth root movements, tritone substitution -- the Beatles had an uncanny knack for putting the perfect chords with the perfect tonality and matching their harmonies with a textbook classicism one would find in Mozart, Brahms or Schubert.

But, as you said "let's move on with our lives", which is exactly what I feel about this conversation, as it is pretty much a dead end. Enjoy whatever it is that you listen to.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 19:35
^The only pioneering aspects of the Beatles were manifested in how they marketed themselves (movies, tv, action figures, etc.) and in the innovation of certain recording techniques that they used.  The influence of the classical composers you listed seems negligible, in that the Beatles did not set out to replicate those musical elements in their songs.  They have more in common with Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry (who were more obvious direct musical influences) than with Vivaldi.  Listening to their songs gives me a distinct impression that they were focused less on the music, and more on vocal harmony and pop singing.  In this way, they are incredibly innovative if you are talking about Britney Spears.

Of course you would mention Oasis.  I hate Oasis more than the Beatles, and I hate the Beatles quite a lot.  Oasis is a band with no redeeming qualities.  Along with Weezer.  Fortunately, over half the musicians you listed I can't stand.  Not a good track record for the Beatles I must say, when Ben Folds Five and Franz Ferdinand are your major admirers.

I hate "Yesterday."  What a trite and ridiculous song.  Good thing he "believes in yesterday," because I wasn't so sure it existed.  Good job Paul McCartney, you reminded me to wake up this morning, otherwise I would have been forever stuck without ever knowing how the Gregorian calender functions.

Anyone who wastes eight years writing a PhD dissertation on the Beatles needs to get a life.  Go study a real subject in college, stop harassing your family for tuition money, and learn a trade that is actually marketable in the physical universe.  I have more respect for pole dancers and Las Vegas showgirls than for someone who devotes their life to analyzing Nietzche's influence on Sargeant Pepper, or whatever crass B.S. some academic nobody has dreamed into existence.

The sheeple will buy anything that critics and MTV tell them to buy.  End of story.

Like Jesus, the Beatles are incredibly overrated.  Let's move on with our lives.   

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 17:07

To me, the Beatles were more of a pop hit group than a rock band.  Sort of a skilled boy-band of the 60's; I think they are incredibly overrated, particularly in the singing department.  They had a few innovative tendencies, but to me they will always be second-tier in comparison to the Animals or the Beach Boys.  I will grant that their music has aged quite well from the Abbey Road/Srgt Pepper era (especially compared to Frank Zappa's early work), but all they did was write uncomplicated pop songs.  I've never understood the appeal of albums like "Rubber Soul" or "Revolver," both of which I find incredibly annoying.  Most of their music sounds dated, trite, tacky, peppy, commercialized, and lacking in timelessness.  On the flipside, albums like "Let It Be" are overproduced schlock.  I can't stand the Beatles, or anything they represent.  Even the Bee-Gees and the Monkees are more enjoyable than Lennon and Co. from my standpoint, since they were at least explicitly commercial and didn't try to mask themselves behind cutesy garbage facades like Srgt Pepper.    

So, I take it you don't like the Beatles? Wink

Your subjective negativity aside, I believe you've missed the boat on this one. When you mention "they had a few innovative tendencies",  I must refer you to the first page of this thread where Floydman documented a long and detailed list of innovations that is incomparable. I might add that Help and Hard Day's Night (and in 1969, Let it Be) were influential in the making of later rock movies and rockumentaries, and the advent of the music video format was profoundly effected by The Beatles' experimental work (starting in 1966 with a promotional piece for "Rain" and brought into further focus with "Strawberry Fields Forever") .

When you say "all they did was write uncomplicated pop songs", are you aware that doctoral theses have been written on the subtle intricacies of "She's Leaving Home" and "A Day in the Life", or that "Eleanor Rigby", composed in Dorian mode with double string quartet,  Is heavily influenced by both Vivaldi and Bernard Hermann? In addition, the influences of composer Karlheinz Stockhausen (whose likeness appears in the back row of the famous photo on the Sgt. Peppers album) is evident in several more avante-garde offerings from the Beatles (Stockhausen was also a notable influence of Zappa, The Who and Pink Floyd).

As far as the Beach Boys, they admitted their innovative Pet Shop Sounds was influenced by Rubber Soul, the Bee-Gees were ardent Beatle admirers and copiers, and The Monkees were literally invented to mimic the Beatles (with Neil Diamond shadow-composing mock Beatles tunes for The Monkees' use).

As far as their music sounding "dated, trite, tacky, peppy, commercialized, and lacking in timelessness",  Beatles music has been played or excerpted by Hendrix, Bowie, Cocker, Sinatra, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Clapton, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure, Oasis (the Gallaghers being immense fans), the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ozzie Osbourne, The Ben Folds Five, Franz Ferdinand, Fiona Apple, and countless others; in fact, the song "Yesterday" is the most covered rock song in history.

So, is it the Beatles lacking timelessness, or are you simply out of time? I am opting for the latter. By the way, have you heard the Beatles' remastered albums? The entire catalogue sold 3x platinum in the U.S. -- more than 40 years after the albums were first released. I think the Beatles will outlast both of us.

Edited by The Dark Elf - February 21 2011 at 17:14
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 16:48

TThey had a few innovative tendencies, but to me they will always be second-tier in comparison to the Animals    

LOL

Ha ha, that's the funniest thing I've read in ages. Hmm, The Animals, whose biggest hit was someone else's song?

I really shouldn't rise to this sort of nonsense.

Edited by chopper - February 21 2011 at 16:50
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 15:39
Floydman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 12:07
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

I am saying they were rock giants because they had been pop giants with an established fanbase.  A lot of lesser known bands made much better music but didn't have the notoriety that comes with stringing together a bunch of friendly little pop songs.  In other words: they weren't the first band to make psychedelic or borderline-prog music, they just happened to be the most well known.  Their influence was on the market, more than anything.  I'm glad they helped open the door for psych/music, better than theirs, to become more widely listened to but I really don't think it wouldn't have happened without them.

That is very subjective to say that lesser known bands made better music than the Beatles. I would say that the bands you are talking about didn't have two great songwriters like the Beatles did. The Beatles were masters of the use of the bridge, outstanding use of melody and inventive chord progressions. Those things were not usually at the fore-front of rock and roll music that came before them.

No one band is solely responsible for Progressive Rock but Fripp, Collins and other members have stated for the record the massive influence of the Beatles. The people who are comparing the Beatles to Zappa forget one major point is the Beatles were first and most importantly were master songwriters and Zappa wanted to be Edgar Varesse and melded many forms including doo-wop, and blues with rock, classical, jazz and you name it.

The Beatles, I would argue were more radical or innovative than Zappa with "Tomorrow Never Knows" with it's use of live rhythmic loops, has basically no harmonic motions, extremely repetitive bass and drum sound and altered processed vocal sound. Not to mention that it uses backward guitar break and ambient sounds created by using sped up loops. Also on "Eleanor Rigby" modal harmonies with it's instrumental texture only being a rhythmic string section and vocals in counterpoint.  For example even back to Rubber Soul has sitar and three modal shifts or going to Sgt. Pepper "A Day in the Life" which is Prog sorry with it's orchestral build up, multiple sections, changes of time singatures, the Paul section in a different key from the "John section to represent waking up to reality. There are plenty of examples of this past Rubber Soul.

In the impossible to separate the Beatles from their influence though. In the early 60's hundreds of bands were cropping up to capitlize on the Beatles success. An entire generation followed and even copied the Beatles artistic treands. They influenced countless other bands, as well musical forumlas that the albums as an artistic statement instead of just a collection of singles and some filler.

Edited by Floydman - February 01 2011 at 12:14
overmatik View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overmatik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2011 at 16:30

You know what pisses me off, these people saying the Beatles are untouchables, and you can`t even lift a finger to say anything about them, this is lame.

They were amazing, but they are not the greatest band ever. As for the kids that can`t appreciate the Beatles, poor kids. But hey, they have so many great things going on right?  

Edited by overmatik - January 31 2011 at 16:32
"Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity. Calculate what we will or will not tolerate. Desperate to control all and everything. Unable to forgive your scarlet letterman."
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 13:09
Originally posted by CloseToTheMoon CloseToTheMoon wrote:

To this day, I don't think they get enough credit. In fact, I meet more kids that hate them. They don't understand the context of the music industry in which they emerged. They didn't show off their musicality, but if you ever tried to learn a Beatles song on guitar, you probably got a whole new respect for them. Is there a chord they never used?

This.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 12:32
King Crimson Debut - 1969
Pink Floyd Debut  - 1967
Beatles Revolver - 1966
Beach Boys Pet Sounds - 1966
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manofmystery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 12:25
I am saying they were rock giants because they had been pop giants with an established fanbase.  A lot of lesser known bands made much better music but didn't have the notoriety that comes with stringing together a bunch of friendly little pop songs.  In other words: they weren't the first band to make psychedelic or borderline-prog music, they just happened to be the most well known.  Their influence was on the market, more than anything.  I'm glad they helped open the door for psych/music, better than theirs, to become more widely listened to but I really don't think it wouldn't have happened without them.

Time always wins.
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 12:02
Are you saying that they are not the musical giants they are. That they were only a little part of the musical revolution. To the first state I say, no. To the second one, I say yes. They were following the mouvement that they partly created along with the Beach Boys, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, etc.
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manofmystery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 11:38
Yes, they went from being a pure boy band to being a second tier psych band.  They were influencial, because they were already everywhere (anyone, anywhere could hear their music), but never anything special themselves.

Edited by manofmystery - January 23 2011 at 11:40

Time always wins.
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paravion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 10:16
^I know. Bruford probably didn't utter the words in a context where he was determined to show that the beatles are the center of the pop-rock universe and the creators of everything. The words also seem intentionally exaggerated (it's a little much to state that all these things were in fact impossible before the beatles) The beatles deserve a lot of recognition for their influence - but don't overdo it. 

Bruford's words are used out of context in this thread - and any conclusions you may jump to based on the quote are inevitably very uncertain.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 09:43
Originally posted by Paravion Paravion wrote:

"The Beatles. They broke down every barrier that ever existed. Suddenly you could do anything after The Beatles. You could write your own music, make it ninety yards long, put it in 7/4, whatever you wanted" (Bill Bruford). It doesn't become a fact because Bruford says what he says. 

True, but he is not the only respected musician to have said something similar, by a long way. Fripp is another.
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paravion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 09:15
Originally posted by Floydman Floydman wrote:

First are you telling me the 13th Floor Elevators were not influenced by the Beatles? Are you dismissing the fact they covered “The Word”?

No.

Originally posted by Paravion Paravion wrote:

They were (of course) inspired by many things (drugs, music, litterature, psychology, philosophy, society etc. etc.), and the beatles probably fit in there somewhere - but I find it very likely that it wasn't the beatles who introduced 13th floor elevators to psychedelic music and ideology.

I backgrounded that piece of information because I don't judge it particularly important. It's self-evident that the beatles were immensely influential and widely covered, but I think it's safe to say that they didn't teach the elevators how to play psychedelic music. Secondly, you use extremely suggestive and defensive rhetorics, where you present an abundance of facts and use them as 'hostages' to jump directly to generalizations that suggest you are indisputably right  and that I must be some sort of beatles hater - that's ridiculous.  

Psychedelic music wasn't created in some particular recording studio at some particular time by some particular group of individuals. It was a movement in many disguises using a great diversity of artistic expressions - more or less interrelated. You can argue that revolver and perhaps rubber soul has psychedelic traits and thus the beatles pre-dates the elevators in making psychedelic music. But this mechanic approach only reveals a rather insignificant detail and leaves many aspects unconsidered.  If you consider the the nature of revolver vs. the psychedelic sounds of.. there is clear difference in terms of how psychedelic the albums are. The psychedelic sounds of is a full-blow psychedelic album both in terms of sounds and 'ideology'  - the notes on the back-cover explicitly describes their psychedelic approach to music and life in general.  So, in terms of 'psychedelity', revolver doesn't stand a chance against the psychedelic sounds of..  - regardless of the fact that it was recorded some six months earlier.  

Edited by Paravion - January 23 2011 at 09:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 23>