Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do the Beatles get too much credit..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 23>
Poll Question: See opening post for question.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
48 [32.88%]
95 [65.07%]
3 [2.05%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote himtroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 13:53
13th Floor elevators heavily predate the Beatles, AND their music is more psychedelic.  Even some mid sixties jazz was more psychedelic than The Beatles, who aren't even very psychedelic.  

Regardless, I'm going to keep this going to close in on my 1000 posts.
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 14:03
Just cause we're talking psyche, Fifty Foot Hose's Cauldron is a favourite of mine (from 1967).

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLocke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 16:33
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Pet Sounds Pet Sounds Pet Sounds Pet Sounds Pet Sounds +++++, it is the first prog-related album and is verry inovative album, probably not the best but it is damn good, record which sadly are to overshadowed by Sg Pepper...,

Brian Wilson only aspired to make Pet Sounds after listening to Rubber Soul.

Sorry, Beatles still win. Tongue
Floydman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 07:11
Originally posted by himtroy himtroy wrote:

13th Floor elevators heavily predate the Beatles, AND their music is more psychedelic.  Even some mid sixties jazz was more psychedelic than The Beatles, who aren't even very psychedelic.  

Does it really matter who did what first or who was more psychedelic? Some of the more psychedelic Beatles songs were psychedelic or trippy without the use of any guitars like "Blue Jay Way" or "Only a Northern Song" or constructed with loops "Tomorrow Never Knows" as a musical backdrop if you want to talk about innovation or creating psychedelic music. I know their were other great bands but listen to the freaky to the fade out/silence/then fades back in with reversed freaky electronic effects and jam on "Strawberry Fields Forever". No one on the rock side were doing things like this to be honest.

I think when you are as popular and influential as the Beatles some people need to something to bring them down. As it is the Beatles you hear some psychedelic influences on Rubber Soul.

The 13th Floor Elevators  covered the Beatles "The Word" which I think they viewed the song with some psychedelic influences. So again 13th Floor elevators don't even predate the Beatles. If anything they influenced 13th Floor elevators first.LOL
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 15:23
It is impossible to give The Beatles too much credit...
CloseToTheMoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CloseToTheMoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 15:34
To this day, I don't think they get enough credit. In fact, I meet more kids that hate them. They don't understand the context of the music industry in which they emerged. They didn't show off their musicality, but if you ever tried to learn a Beatles song on guitar, you probably got a whole new respect for them. Is there a chord they never used?
CloseToTheMoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CloseToTheMoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 15:35
To this day, I don't think they get enough credit. In fact, I meet more kids that hate them. They don't understand the context of the music industry in which they emerged. They didn't show off their musicality, but if you ever tried to learn a Beatles song on guitar, you probably got a whole new respect for them. Is there a chord they never used?
ShipOfFools View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShipOfFools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 05:31

In my opinion, they were the very first 'rock band.' They defined it all; the popularity, the fan craziness, the experimentation, the intelligent interviews they gave, the movies they made. There were a few other bands around that time, that sort of faded out...like Herman's Hermits. The Beatles, on the other hand, continued on...and their legacy lives on, 50 years later.

I defy you to name a person under the age of 12 who has never heard of The Beatles. 

"Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace" - Buddha
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paravion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 06:50
Originally posted by logan logan wrote:

Undoubtedly the Beatles were hugely influential (has been incredibly popular), but do you think/feel that the Beatles commonly get too much credit and/or consideration in terms of innovation and origination?

I certainly think so.
I agree

Originally posted by floydman floydman wrote:

Does it really matter who did what first or who was more psychedelic? Some of the more psychedelic Beatles songs were psychedelic or trippy without the use of any guitars like "Blue Jay Way" or "Only a Northern Song" or constructed with loops "Tomorrow Never Knows" as a musical backdrop if you want to talk about innovation or creating psychedelic music. I know their were other great bands but listen to the freaky to the fade out/silence/then fades back in with reversed freaky electronic effects and jam on "Strawberry Fields Forever". No one on the rock side were doing things like this to be honest.

I think when you are as popular and influential as the Beatles some people need to something to bring them down. As it is the Beatles you hear some psychedelic influences on Rubber Soul.

The 13th Floor Elevators  covered the Beatles "The Word" which I think they viewed the song with some psychedelic influences. So again 13th Floor elevators don't even predate the Beatles. If anything they influenced 13th Floor elevators first.

Who did something first matters in terms of innovation and origination - which was what OP asked us to consider. Besides, you can't draw generalizations based on details and random state of affairs and present it is a fact - so I can't be pursuaded by reasoning of the sort "the 13th floor elevators covered a particular beatles track -> they were - as a fact and generally - inspired by the beatles." 

It's reasonable to say that the elevators with their debut "The Psychedelic Sounds of The 13th Floor Elevators (1966)" pre-dates the beatles in producing an actual full-blown psychedelic album - both in terms of sound and 'ideology'.   I don't consider the album particularly beatlesque - and in terms of 'psychedelity', they make the beatles sound like children's music. They were (of course) inspired by many things (drugs, music, litterature, psychology, philosophy, society etc. etc.), and the beatles probably fit in there somewhere - but I find it very likely that it wasn't the beatles who introduced 13th floor elevators to psychedelic music and ideology. 

Get back to me when you can find evidence of a rock group—any rock group in 1966, but, perhaps even more notably, using multitrack recording to produce something like "Tomorrow Never Knows" and then using their platform as the Most Popular Band in the world to expose millions of listeners to those new sounds
Evidence of a band using the particular recording technique beatles did to produce something that sounds like a particular beatles track? Good luck!

You must have had too many of these:

"The Beatles. They broke down every barrier that ever existed. Suddenly you could do anything after The Beatles. You could write your own music, make it ninety yards long, put it in 7/4, whatever you wanted" (Bill Bruford). It doesn't become a fact because Bruford says what he says. 

Edited by Paravion - January 22 2011 at 07:29
Floydman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 08:59
Originally posted by Paravion Paravion wrote:

Originally posted by logan logan wrote:

Undoubtedly the Beatles were hugely influential (has been incredibly popular), but do you think/feel that the Beatles commonly get too much credit and/or consideration in terms of innovation and origination?

I certainly think so.
I agree

Does it really matter who did what first or who was more psychedelic? Some of the more psychedelic Beatles songs were psychedelic or trippy without the use of any guitars like "Blue Jay Way" or "Only a Northern Song" or constructed with loops "Tomorrow Never Knows" as a musical backdrop if you want to talk about innovation or creating psychedelic music. I know their were other great bands but listen to the freaky to the fade out/silence/then fades back in with reversed freaky electronic effects and jam on "Strawberry Fields Forever". No one on the rock side were doing things like this to be honest.

I think when you are as popular and influential as the Beatles some people need to something to bring them down. As it is the Beatles you hear some psychedelic influences on Rubber Soul.

The 13th Floor Elevators  covered the Beatles "The Word" which I think they viewed the song with some psychedelic influences. So again 13th Floor elevators don't even predate the Beatles. If anything they influenced 13th Floor elevators first.

Who did something first matters in terms of innovation and origination - which was what OP asked us to consider. Besides, you can't draw generalizations based on details and random state of affairs and present it is a fact - so I can't be pursuaded by reasoning of the sort "the 13th floor elevators covered a particular beatles track -> they were - as a fact and generally - inspired by the beatles." 

It's reasonable to say that the elevators with their debut "The Psychedelic Sounds of The 13th Floor Elevators (1966)" pre-dates the beatles in producing an actual full-blown psychedelic album - both in terms of sound and 'ideology'.   I don't consider the album particularly beatlesque - and in terms of 'psychedelity', they make the beatles sound like children's music. They were (of course) inspired by many things (drugs, music, litterature, psychology, philosophy, society etc. etc.), and the beatles probably fit in there somewhere - but I find it very likely that it wasn't the beatles who introduced 13th floor elevators to psychedelic music and ideology. 

Get back to me when you can find evidence of a rock group—any rock group in 1966, but, perhaps even more notably, using multitrack recording to produce something like "Tomorrow Never Knows" and then using their platform as the Most Popular Band in the world to expose millions of listeners to those new sounds
Evidence of a band using the particular recording technique beatles did to produce something that sounds like a particular beatles track? Good luck!

You must have had too many of these:

"The Beatles. They broke down every barrier that ever existed. Suddenly you could do anything after The Beatles. You could write your own music, make it ninety yards long, put it in 7/4, whatever you wanted" (Bill Bruford). It doesn't become a fact because Bruford says what he says. 

First are you telling me the 13th Floor Elevators were not influenced by the Beatles? Are you dismissing the fact they covered “The Word”? If you are you're sipping your own cool aid because basically every Psyh/prog/folk rock band were somewhat influenced by the Beatles. The 13th Floor Elevators Influence by The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Buddy Holly, the Kinks, The Yardbirds, Bo Diddley are some of the people who they cite as an influence. 

The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators recorded October 10, 1966 at Sumet Sound Studios, Dallas

The Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows", ‘Rain” and a few others recorded in April of 1966. The Beatles didn't limit themselves to one one style of music so keep that in mind but on Revolver there are at least 4 psych songs. Yet Revolver predates  The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators recorded as being at least one of the first psych albums so why are even debating this I don't know. Must be a anti-Beatles thing with some people.  

Read the book "Every Sound There Is; The Beatles Revolver and the Transformation of Rock and Roll" By Russell Reising there is a whole chapter on the Beatles influence on Pink Floyd.  

Pink Floyd didn’t invent psych-rock either but they created a new sound. When Robert Buford said the Beatles were using 7/4 time signature in rock he was stating by using odd times the Beatles influenced him especially how they skipped beats using that time signature. Not really common stuff in rock more common in the jazz music he liked. .  

Yet whether the Beatles invented psychedelic rock or not they were extremely innovative in how they were intentionally using these techniques in creating what they thought tripping was. It’s basically psychedelic use of the studio as an instrument in which many ways helped influenced other forms of music like progressive rock, for example. The Beatles by using these techniques created a whole new sound way ambient sounds from loops, ambient seascape sound collages, backward guitars and vocals, Automatic Double Tracking, vocals from Leslie speakers, cosmic sounding rhythmic loops fading in and out, using eastern Indian drones, disorienting fade outs, using delay and changing time, mellotrons, phasing, loud up front drum & bass sounds yeah like you find many of these techniques in some form of the other in most psych/prog/electronic songs  that came after words that you find on Revolver/Rain. If you want to find a song that is exactly like say "Tomorrow Never Knows" you won't exactly find one well there is King Crimson "Tomorrow Never Knew Thela" or showing how ahead of it's time the Chemical Brothers "Setting Sun".  

Here's some release dates on charted hits I think qualify as Psychedelic (or at least hit some trippy psychedelic overtones) for 1965 and 1966:

In terms of release dates.

3/22/ 1965  lThe Byrds- "Mr. Tambourine Man"
4/9/1965 l The Beatles- Ticket To Ride”

6/5/1965 | The Chiffons - "Nobody Knows What's Going On (in My Mind But Me)" [Laurie 3301]
7/30/1965 l The Kinks- “See My Friends”
12/4/1965 | The Beatles - "Day Tripper" [Capitol 5555]
12/4/1965 l The Beatles- “The Word”
12/4 1965 l The Beatles- “Norwegian Wood”
12/18/1965 | The Five Americans - "I See the Light" [HBR 454]
3/26/1966 l The Yardbirds- “Shapes of Things”
3/26/1966 | The Byrds - "Eight Miles High" [Columbia 43578]
3/26/1966 l The Byrds- “Why”
5/7/1966 l The Rolling Stones- “Paint It Black”
5/7/1966 | The Animals - "Don't Bring Me Down" [MGM 13514]
5/28/1966 | The Beatles - "Rain" [Capitol 5651]
6/18/1966 | The Knickerbockers - "High On Love" [Challenge 59332]
6/25/1966 | The Beatles - "I'm Only Sleeping" [Capitol]
7/2/1966 | The Byrds - "5 D (Fifth Dimension)" [Columbia 43702]
7/16/1966 | Donovan - "Sunshine Superman" [Epic 10045]
7/16/1966 | Love - "7 and 7 Is" [Elektra 45605]
7/16/1966 | Donovan - "Season of the Witch (Part 1)" [Epic]
7/30/1966 | The Cyrkle - "Turn-Down Day" [Columbia 43729]
8/6/1966 | The 13th Floor Elevators - "You're Gonna Miss Me" [IA 107]
8/20/1966 | The Beatles - "I Want to Tell You" [Capitol]
8/20/1966 | The Beatles - "Love You To" [Capitol]
8/20/1966 | The Beatles - "She Said, She Said" [Capitol]
8/20/1966 | The Beatles - "Tomorrow Never Knows" [Capitol]
8/20/1966 | The Trade Winds - "Mind Excursion" [Kama Sutra 212]
8/27/1966 | Count Five - "Psychotic Reaction" [Double Shot 104]
10/29/1966 | The Magic Mushrooms - "It's-a-Happening" [A&M 815]
11/12/1966 | The 13th Floor Elevators - "Reverbaration (Doubt)" [IA
12/10/1966 | The Trade Winds - "Catch Me in the Meadow" [Kama Sutra 218

Edited by Floydman - January 22 2011 at 09:12
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 09:16
Cell phone companies must like The Beatles very much. 
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paravion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 09:15
Originally posted by Floydman Floydman wrote:

First are you telling me the 13th Floor Elevators were not influenced by the Beatles? Are you dismissing the fact they covered “The Word”?

No.

They were (of course) inspired by many things (drugs, music, litterature, psychology, philosophy, society etc. etc.), and the beatles probably fit in there somewhere - but I find it very likely that it wasn't the beatles who introduced 13th floor elevators to psychedelic music and ideology.

I backgrounded that piece of information because I don't judge it particularly important. It's self-evident that the beatles were immensely influential and widely covered, but I think it's safe to say that they didn't teach the elevators how to play psychedelic music. Secondly, you use extremely suggestive and defensive rhetorics, where you present an abundance of facts and use them as 'hostages' to jump directly to generalizations that suggest you are indisputably right  and that I must be some sort of beatles hater - that's ridiculous.  

Psychedelic music wasn't created in some particular recording studio at some particular time by some particular group of individuals. It was a movement in many disguises using a great diversity of artistic expressions - more or less interrelated. You can argue that revolver and perhaps rubber soul has psychedelic traits and thus the beatles pre-dates the elevators in making psychedelic music. But this mechanic approach only reveals a rather insignificant detail and leaves many aspects unconsidered.  If you consider the the nature of revolver vs. the psychedelic sounds of.. there is clear difference in terms of how psychedelic the albums are. The psychedelic sounds of is a full-blow psychedelic album both in terms of sounds and 'ideology'  - the notes on the back-cover explicitly describes their psychedelic approach to music and life in general.  So, in terms of 'psychedelity', revolver doesn't stand a chance against the psychedelic sounds of..  - regardless of the fact that it was recorded some six months earlier.  

Edited by Paravion - January 23 2011 at 09:34
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 09:43

True, but he is not the only respected musician to have said something similar, by a long way. Fripp is another.
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paravion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 10:16
^I know. Bruford probably didn't utter the words in a context where he was determined to show that the beatles are the center of the pop-rock universe and the creators of everything. The words also seem intentionally exaggerated (it's a little much to state that all these things were in fact impossible before the beatles) The beatles deserve a lot of recognition for their influence - but don't overdo it. 

Bruford's words are used out of context in this thread - and any conclusions you may jump to based on the quote are inevitably very uncertain.
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manofmystery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 11:38
Yes, they went from being a pure boy band to being a second tier psych band.  They were influencial, because they were already everywhere (anyone, anywhere could hear their music), but never anything special themselves.

Edited by manofmystery - January 23 2011 at 11:40

Time always wins.
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 12:02
Are you saying that they are not the musical giants they are. That they were only a little part of the musical revolution. To the first state I say, no. To the second one, I say yes. They were following the mouvement that they partly created along with the Beach Boys, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, etc.
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manofmystery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 12:25
I am saying they were rock giants because they had been pop giants with an established fanbase.  A lot of lesser known bands made much better music but didn't have the notoriety that comes with stringing together a bunch of friendly little pop songs.  In other words: they weren't the first band to make psychedelic or borderline-prog music, they just happened to be the most well known.  Their influence was on the market, more than anything.  I'm glad they helped open the door for psych/music, better than theirs, to become more widely listened to but I really don't think it wouldn't have happened without them.

Time always wins.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 12:32
King Crimson Debut - 1969
Pink Floyd Debut  - 1967
Beatles Revolver - 1966
Beach Boys Pet Sounds - 1966
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 13:09
Originally posted by CloseToTheMoon CloseToTheMoon wrote:

This.
overmatik View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overmatik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2011 at 16:30

You know what pisses me off, these people saying the Beatles are untouchables, and you can`t even lift a finger to say anything about them, this is lame.

They were amazing, but they are not the greatest band ever. As for the kids that can`t appreciate the Beatles, poor kids. But hey, they have so many great things going on right?  

Edited by overmatik - January 31 2011 at 16:32
"Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity. Calculate what we will or will not tolerate. Desperate to control all and everything. Unable to forgive your scarlet letterman."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 23>