Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIron Maiden or Metallica?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Poll Question: What´s your favourite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
102 [68.00%]
48 [32.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 08:45
Maiden.
Regarding Hetfield and the boys ; boy do I love Death Magnetic. I'm kinda over their initial phase (Kill 'em All - And Justice) then went off them from the Black Album onwards. Then DM comes along and I don't even return to Puppets anymore......
Maiden - The X Factor - just BRILLIANT.........

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 04 2015 at 08:46
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 08:37
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Iron Maiden - they never went as downhill as Metallica went with Reload and St Anger; even their Virtual XI (which i consider as their least inspired work) is better than those two albums. Maiden's commercial success did not rely on a sell out album as The Black album was (although it is not a bad album at all).

And Maiden's last album is miles better IMO than Metallica's last.

Am I making any sense? I haven't finished my morning coffee. LOL

I wrote this 5 years ago (Shocked) - I'm not making much sense LOL
These days I enjoy Load & Reload much more and later day Iron Maiden less.
The Final Frontier bored me terribly last time I tried listening to it and there are 4 songs on thier newest album Book of Souls that bored me, too.

I still like Maiden more.
80s Metallica is still great!
Hanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 11:50
Originally posted by overmatik overmatik wrote:

Metallica did some amazing stuff in their early stage, but after the Black Album they completely lost touch with themselves, their music and their fans. The Maiden have recorded only good albums throughout their career, not to mention the fact that they are as loved by their fans now as they were 20 years ago. Always honest, always true.

I understand that the Maiden isn't that respected in the US, but that doesn't mean anything in the long run.

Pretty much the entire Maiden catalog, barring NPFTD, has incredible material.

That's a pretty good track record, not to mention the fact that you can point to many songs throughout their career--from Phantom of the Opera to Hallowed be thy Name to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son to The Clansman to Paschendale--that really hits hard.

Nothing I've heard from Metallica has topped the song Master of Puppets.
Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 09:21
Maiden. Wouldn't wanna be forced to listen to the complete Metallica catalogue.
"We've got to get in to get out"
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 09:08

Iron Maiden

overmatik View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2011 at 11:41
Metallica did some amazing stuff in their early stage, but after the Black Album they completely lost touch with themselves, their music and their fans. The Maiden have recorded only good albums throughout their career, not to mention the fact that they are as loved by their fans now as they were 20 years ago. Always honest, always true.

I understand that the Maiden isn't that respected in the US, but that doesn't mean anything in the long run.
clarkpegasus4001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2011 at 13:44
Maiden (for their early work) sorry but I can't stand Metallica even if they do cover Budgie material! actually so did Maiden!
Tony C.
trackstoni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 03:39
Maiden was & still Great , but Metallica was only Great 88 - 92 !
Tracking Tracks of Rock
Hanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 21:12
I admit I've had limited experience with Metallica.  I've heard the albums Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, and some songs were okay, but they didn't even approach Maiden's best.

Yeah, I much prefer Maiden.  Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Piece of Mind, Iron Maiden, Brave New World, Dance of Death...these albums blow most metal albums out of the water.  They're unbelievable.  And if the albums I listened to were really Metallica's best, then I think it's safe to say they don't stack up to Maiden in my book.

It's weird, though, because I'm a Dream Theater fan and I know Metallica was a strong influence on them--I can definitely hear their influence more than Maiden's.  Still, Metallica does nothing for me.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 09:28
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

The one who didn't go down the toilet after 4 albums.

So, neither?
ThinLizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 07:31
Iron Maiden > Any band of the 80s / 90s / 00s.
And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 07:19
Iron Maiden: That´s strange but I prefer rather DiAnno´s era which is less commercial and more raw than their later work.
Metallica: The same case, early work is quite good, but their Black album is almost pure commerce, I can´t really stand their melodic ballads, billion times played in various hit radios.
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 09:47
Wherever I May Roam is without question the greatest song they ever did/ riff.
 Comeon' don't sit there and deny it...

assume the power 1586/14.3
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 09:28
when Metallica arrived in San Diego 2007 we were excited, the crowd was excited, then out they came. I must give major KUDOS to Hetfield for this show because:

Het had alot of performance to perform, I realize now. Het or OK James was tender at the 1 hr. mark saying "how the fuch are YOU..SAN DIEGO? he doesn't really have the time to play "Yellow Submarine (Dah) and he spits because he is singing his brains out

His guitar is non-discreet(soundwise) because he is PLAYING HIS ASS OFF!! I apolodize for not knowing the bass solo was the intro to "For Whom.." and basically

Metalilica is a great great great great rock Band that brought a TON of excitement to the stage and gave us, The World, a frenzy of excitement when watching them play.  They are today the greatest Metal Band Of all-Time, and they deserve MAJOR KUDOS beacause of James Hetfiels and his vision and Un-comprimizing attack that he gave his Fans.  Hetfield made this band great

and you know ,I know The American People know That Metallica is The One RIGHTOUS vband, yeh

assume the power 1586/14.3
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 23:50
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

You are correct sir...it does not make sense to me......Metallica's music has been dead for many years, due to their attitude...That makes all the sense in the world to me. Big smile

You are talking about the post-AJFA phase.  Prior to that, Metallica tried to do something different with each new album; actually, along with Sabbath, Priest and maybe Megadeth, one of the few metal bands who actually thought that was a good thing.  They tasted commercial success on levels Maiden never did and sold out, but so what?  Maiden has been making the same album since Killers anyway and I couldn't care tuppence about their warrior attitude or whatever, musically, they are dinosaurs.   They have a better live act than Metallica or Priest these days, they are a very successful rock enterprise now, I will say that for them but musically they are as stodgy as they come.  As a prog rock fan, I certainly have a lot more respect for Robert Fripp rather than Angus Young and by the same token I respect Hetfield and Burton a lot more than Steve Harris.  Lars...becomes hard not to begrudge respect to that d**k, knowing full well that he was one of the chief songwriters of Metallica and the band would have been, for better or worse, different without him.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 17:52
Preferably neither.  And while the "if you're over 15..."comment was a bit much, I tend to slightly agree that the bands seem like middle/high school bands to me.  So angsty and whiney.  

Edited by himtroy - September 09 2010 at 17:53
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 13:29
Originally posted by Leo Milani Leo Milani wrote:

Man, I have to say...
If you are more than 15 and still listen to these bands, there's something very wrong...

Marcio Okayama (myspace.com/maricookayama), brazilian fusion guitarist, said that in a work shop.

And I totally agree with him...

I think it's safe to say that if you have these kinds of opinions, there's something very wrong. Or then you're just incredibly arrogant, which I think is... yes, quite wrong.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 13:16
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Metallica songs all SOUND THE SAME!!!!! ... Metallica guitar riffs are the same throughout their collection

Seems you haven't heard very many of them.

Indeed, if anything, I would say Maiden's work can get rather similar-sounding.  Maiden is winning quite comfortably, seems consistency always wins the day over brilliance, as much as I go the other way.  Maiden at their best were a variation on a style essentially pioneered by Judas Priest.  Metallica expanded the frontiers of thrash even when it was still a fledgling genre.  Ride the Lightning is amazingly ambitious for a thrash metal album and so is MOP, they were taking risks at levels not many in the metal scene then were prepared to.  But of course, metal celebrates 'true' warriors rather than innovators. Wink

I'm not sure how much sense this makes......Maiden crawled out of the bowels of hell across the pond, they were fighting the punk movement at its height in the UK, kept on the straight and narrow and came out smelling like a rose, as the punk scene died. There isn't a radio station that would play their music for fear of getting license pulled.......since they were devil worshipers and all....That's innovation and a warrior.

If you watch any of the biography shows on Metallica, their early days were all about how much booze they could get into their bodies 24/7...A complete waste, and you could see the Hetfield godlike attitude just growing..within himself only..Yea they were good...but after a few albums they succumbed to the all mighty $$ and went the route of pop rock/metal and MTV, any talent stopped there...Now they live on their past success and there isn't anyone who wants to hear new music performed..only the old stuff...pre pop rock/metal.

You are talking about attitude while my comment was about the music. Not surprised it doesn't make sense to you.

You are correct sir...it does not make sense to me......Metallica's music has been dead for many years, due to their attitude...That makes all the sense in the world to me. Big smile

Edited by Catcher10 - September 09 2010 at 13:17
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 12:38
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

I have to reveal a secret: I´m neither Iron Maiden or Metallica fan. I´ve liked Iron Maiden 25 years ago until Piece of Mind. I think Paul di Anno era was more raw and harder than Dickinson era. Their last release Final Frontier seems to be a return to roots.

Final Frontier a return to roots?!ConfusedShockedLOL What roots are those? It's the same sound they've had since Bruce and Adrian returned.

For example guitars sounds like on first two albums, after first listening at least.
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Leo Milani View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 06:06
Man, I have to say...
If you are more than 15 and still listen to these bands, there's something very wrong...

Marcio Okayama (myspace.com/maricookayama), brazilian fusion guitarist, said that in a work shop.

And I totally agree with him...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>