Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"5 star" albums and masterpiece.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 11:55
Masterpiece is a BIG word !
I hate big words !
When I find an album is realy briliant and moving and I fall in love with it (oh, love, another big word, change to realy like and enjoy) then this album is top quality for me and it deserves 5 stars. Trying to identify a masterpiece as some extra .... (what ever) sounds rubbish philosophy to me.

It is just a word - a name.          "If you call a rose in different name, will it lose it's blossom?"
omri
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 11:40
For me:
5 stars: Brilliant album! I love listening to it.
4 stars: Great album with a few flaws.
3 stars: Good, but definitely has it's weaknesses.
2 stars: Meh. It's not that good, but it has a few redeeming qualities.
1 star: Terrible. Never want to hear it again.
Nathaniel607 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 11:31
Originally posted by EnderEd EnderEd wrote:

Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

I dont believe all 5 star albums are masterpiece and I think reviewer who rate 5 star to many albums,  know many of these 5 star albums arent masterpiece. Please help me to undrestand that ONE THING.( maybe 2 or 3 things!!)

Agreed. Music lovers (me too) like to promote their favorites, so sometimes too readily 5-star them.

Before I take a stab at the ONE (or 2 or 3) things, please understand that music, like all arts, is an aesthetic phenomenon, therefore incredibly subject to subjectivism Wink . The incredible 20th century composer, Aaron Copland, coined a phrase "the gifted listener", meaning, like a trained wine connoisseur, one who is able to discern distinctions in the composition moreso than the average person. That ain't me, for sure. As I said before, I know much of my favorite music would not be considered "Masterpiece" status. (I learned from a college roommate that when someone is able to make a distinction between what they consider a "favorite" and what they consider a "best", pay attention-- they're at least trying to be discerning beyond personal preference...)

OK-- a stab at "Masterpiece"?

1) Flawless (take almost anything Bach/Mozart here)
2) Rapturous - demanding of admirable attention; transporting; ravishing
3) Enduring - its 'greatness' is not temporal, but recognized across generations (I like to ask myself, Will I be listening to this with as much affection 10 years from now?)
4) Recognized - not so much "popular", but that a significant percentage of listeners (not just 'fans') recognize it as "above and beyond"

Does that work?

See, I don't agree with 4. If there is an unknown album that's absolutely amazing, why should it be a 4 star just cause no one knows about it? Also, I don't think being flawless is that important... it's really impossible to say what is/isn't a flaw - you get into that argument of "the perfect/best song". You could start saying, "oh, but really, would 20th Century Schizoid Man not be better if he took that note out over there?" and it just get's silly.

I suppose 3 star isn't supposed to mean "meh", but it does, really, just by how many stars are above it - if there is a three star album, then there are LOADS of 4 stars and 5 star albums above it, so why would you get a three star album - if it's worse than all those 5 AND 4s (which in themselves are worse that the 5s) then it must be kind of meh.

So this is my viewpoint on the matter - I don't think 5 should represent a "flawless masterpiece" it should represent an "amazing album, which seems as if it will be endearing in the future".
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 11:17
Thank you Ed for your list. I agree with that but this list about musical theory and taste. I think music have different side. I dont know how call this side and what word suitable for my mean. I call thst "spritual". Spritual side of music is very important too and in many cases this side may creat Masterpiece. For example Pink Floyd's "The Wall". I want compare "The Wall" and Mahavishnu's "Birds of Fire". I know its not good compare but I try to explain my mean. I want compare musicians one by one. John McLaughlin is very faster and he have better technique. This isn't about my taste or opinion. This is a fact. I die for Dave gilmour but I'm sure John is better guitarist.  Billy Cobham is very better than Mason too. Laird and Hammer better than Waters and Wright. I repeat that I know I can't compare 2 different genres but I dont have another option. Is Mahavishnu  greater than Pink Floyd? Is Birds of Fire better than The Wall? NO. The Wall is masterpiece and Birds of Fire is masterpiece too. I try to say Technique,Musician ship and these kind of parameters never make Masterpiece. They make Perfect or Great music. I know many Mahavishnu fans say Birds of Fire is masterpiece. OK I agree. But why? I think we must change point of view and search for spritual reasons. I hope you undrestand me. In your list you write about "Enduring". I want to know how musicians make Enduring music, Thanks
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 09:42
We have had a number of debates on the forum with regard to the five star rating system. Whilst I am happy with it, it is the casde, I think, that a lot of five star ratings would, in fact, be given 4 1/2 by the reviewer if that option were available, in the same way as they might give an album a 9 star rating on a ten point scale. This is the reason why I like Progfreak's rating system.

As an example, my very first review for PA was Happiness is the Road by Marillion. I gave it five stars. However, as much as I think it is a wonderful album, on reflection I would probably give it a four star rating now, if only for the reason that I simply could not place it in the same bracket as genuine masterpieces such as Marbles & Brave.

That said, this is not a pitch to change the rating system here. By and large, I think it works very well, and if I see an album with average ratings above 3.5, then I know, usually, that I am going to get a good one.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
EnderEd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 08:51
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

I dont believe all 5 star albums are masterpiece and I think reviewer who rate 5 star to many albums,  know many of these 5 star albums arent masterpiece. Please help me to undrestand that ONE THING.( maybe 2 or 3 things!!)

Agreed. Music lovers (me too) like to promote their favorites, so sometimes too readily 5-star them.

Before I take a stab at the ONE (or 2 or 3) things, please understand that music, like all arts, is an aesthetic phenomenon, therefore incredibly subject to subjectivism Wink . The incredible 20th century composer, Aaron Copland, coined a phrase "the gifted listener", meaning, like a trained wine connoisseur, one who is able to discern distinctions in the composition moreso than the average person. That ain't me, for sure. As I said before, I know much of my favorite music would not be considered "Masterpiece" status. (I learned from a college roommate that when someone is able to make a distinction between what they consider a "favorite" and what they consider a "best", pay attention-- they're at least trying to be discerning beyond personal preference...)

OK-- a stab at "Masterpiece"?

1) Flawless (take almost anything Bach/Mozart here)
2) Rapturous - demanding of admirable attention; transporting; ravishing
3) Enduring - its 'greatness' is not temporal, but recognized across generations (I like to ask myself, Will I be listening to this with as much affection 10 years from now?)
4) Recognized - not so much "popular", but that a significant percentage of listeners (not just 'fans') recognize it as "above and beyond"

Does that work?
--EnderEd
EnderEd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 07:52
3 does not really = "meh" on ProgArchives. Here's the ProgArchives official rating designations:
Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music
Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection
Good, but non-essential
Collectors/fans only
Poor. Only for completionists

I prefer leaving 5-star for "Masterpiece" rather than for an album that I really love and think is awesome. Is there an objective (vs subjective) criteria for defining Masterpiece? I think so, but many on ProgArchives would have a hard time with that. For example, I love almost anything and everything by Coheed & Cambria and Rush (except for their latest rehashes, Caravan/BU2B) -- But I would never give their most recent albums 5-stars, cause I know that I know they are not Masterpieces. On the other hand, I cannot stand Edvard Munch's painting The Scream, but would list it as a Masterpiece nonetheless. 
--EnderEd
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 07:51

O666, I think it is safe to say that if someone considers an album worthy of a 5star rating, then they also consider it a Masterpiece. ProgArchives tries to steer us to think that way, as their definition of 5-star = Masterpiece:
" Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music"

I think maybe you're looking at the weighted average of ratings? Some malcontents will hate Pink Floyd, or Dark Side of the Moon, so they'll give it a 1-star, making the overall AVERAGE of an album less the 5-star. That doesn't mean it is not a Masterpiece.

Basically, a 5-star album is a perfect album, excellent in song writing, musicianship, production, etc.-- it is a Masterpiece of the genre. 5-star = Masterpiece.

Does that sound right? Is there a particular album or example on ProgArchives with a rating you're struggling with?
50% Yes.  "Dark side.." is masterpiece but you can find albums with higher average rate!! and these aren't masterpiece. You undrestand me well but I search for ONE THING. I think  masterpiece have one strange thing and I cant explain it. I search for help to find this "ONE THING". I dont believe all 5 star albums are masterpiece and I think reviewer who rate 5 star to many albums,  know many of these 5 star albums arent masterpiece. Please help me to undrestand that ONE THING.( maybe 2 or 3 things!!)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 07:28

Nathaniel -- I did something similar with Frost*'s 2008 "Experiments in Mass Appeal". I loved the album, thought it was the best thing that came out in 2008, so I gave it a 5-star rating. But it's not a "Masterpiece", and I regretted my rating as soon as I made it. It's a good album, maybe a GREAT album, but 4-star would have covered that:
" Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection"

Generally, when I'm perusing reviews, I pay special attention when someone gives it a 5-star or 4-star. So I think it's ok to reserve 5-star for Masterpieces only.

Yeah, but to me, 3 stars is kinda meh and 4 stars is just "it's great" - but I think 5 stars for an amazing album is okay... it seems silly to me just to use 5 stars on "masterpieces" - because to me, masterpiece isn't even a particular quality level, it's seems more like an attribute to me... if I'm making any sense at all.

5 stars is amazing
4 great/good
3 it's alright
2 it's kind of rubbish
1 appaling

if you use;

5 MASTERPIECE
4 Good addition
3 Alright
2 Kind of rubbish
1 Appaling

It seems to me there's something missing...

I heard that before, this website had a zero-star rating - to me, that seems like a good idea, because then we could have

5 Masterpiece
4 amazing
3 good
2 alright
1 kind of rubbish
0 appaling
EnderEd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 07:01
Nathaniel -- I did something similar with Frost*'s 2008 "Experiments in Mass Appeal". I loved the album, thought it was the best thing that came out in 2008, so I gave it a 5-star rating. But it's not a "Masterpiece", and I regretted my rating as soon as I made it. It's a good album, maybe a GREAT album, but 4-star would have covered that:
" Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection"

Generally, when I'm perusing reviews, I pay special attention when someone gives it a 5-star or 4-star. So I think it's ok to reserve 5-star for Masterpieces only.
--EnderEd
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 06:42
I'm not sure I like the descriptor "Masterpiece". I recently reviewed Gungfly's Please Be Quiet as a 5 star album - I would call it a perfect album, but I'm not sure I'd call it a masterpiece... it kind of suggest it needs to be very original and unique, or that is needs to be in the top 50 albums ever or whatever.
EnderEd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 06:39
O666, I think it is safe to say that if someone considers an album worthy of a 5star rating, then they also consider it a Masterpiece. ProgArchives tries to steer us to think that way, as their definition of 5-star = Masterpiece:
" Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music"

I think maybe you're looking at the weighted average of ratings? Some malcontents will hate Pink Floyd, or Dark Side of the Moon, so they'll give it a 1-star, making the overall AVERAGE of an album less the 5-star. That doesn't mean it is not a Masterpiece.

Basically, a 5-star album is a perfect album, excellent in song writing, musicianship, production, etc.-- it is a Masterpiece of the genre. 5-star = Masterpiece.

Does that sound right? Is there a particular album or example on ProgArchives with a rating you're struggling with?
--EnderEd
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 06:32
Do you think all " 5 star" albums are masterpiece? Why many of high rate albums are not masterpiece? When one reviewer assign "5 star" to one album, Is he/she think this is masterpiece? What is different between high rate albums and masterpieces? I hope you undrestand me.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 06:11
I am not sure I understand your question.

Edited by Snow Dog - September 01 2010 at 06:12
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 06:07
Hi. I want to talk about "5 star" albums and Masterpieces. When one reviewer assign "5 star" to one album, he/she think this album is "Masterpiece". Is it correct? I dont know what reviewer think and I want to know this. Many of us have common opinion about many albums like " The lamb lies...." or " In the court ...." and call them "masterpiece". This different to "5 star" albums. There are albums with rated over 4.3 and not masterpiece or few guys think these are masterpiece . I dont want to know "What is masterpiece?" or this kind of questions. I want to know different between "5 star" and "masterpiece". Why many of high rate albums isn't masterpiece?  Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234