Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis members: negative poll!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: who is your the least favourite member of Genesis?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [7.84%]
28 [27.45%]
7 [6.86%]
4 [3.92%]
3 [2.94%]
1 [0.98%]
7 [6.86%]
9 [8.82%]
2 [1.96%]
33 [32.35%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 13:21
Originally posted by Progatron Progatron wrote:

Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

Ah.. In Dutch we call untouchable things 'holy houses', and this is definitely one of them! I voted for Collins. His drumming was between mediocre and awful and his influences into pushing Genesis to pop-music was a pity.
Ahhhh, the good ol' "They Should Have Kept Making Foxtrot-type Albums Even Though They Would Have Crashed And Burned" opinion - but this time it comes with a side dish of "WTF are you smoking" for that drumming comment. One wonders if you can possibly be serious, or are just trying to get a rise out of people. But, hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Yours is about 180 degrees from mine, though.

I haven't been smoking at all. Compared to, let's say; Gentle Giant, Pink Floyd, Magma, King Crimson and even Yes, Genesis has by far the worst sounding drums. They completely destroy the sound of their recordings. This is due to the bad recording for which I blame Collins, since his predecessor had a fine recording on Trespass. Luckily the music of Genesis is strong enough to save it's momentum, but with a better drum-sound they would perhaps have been one of my favorite bands.

I happen to play in bands myself, and I know enough about recording music. The drum-sounds of Collins with super high mid, the lack of bass and treble interfere with all the other instrument that should fall in the mid-domain of the music. Furthermore the sound lacks depth, nor does it have a realistic sound.

On this website some bands have become a religion, you should read your own comment! As if I criticized your baby.
Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 13:26
Tony Banks really looked bitter and overall negative over the course of the interview sessions for the 1970-75 Box release. LOL
Otherwise he's actually my favorite contributor to the Genesis sound. Thumbs Up
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 13:27
I hate Gabriel's singing.
Progatron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 13:27

On this website some bands have become a religion, you should read your own comment! As if I criticized your baby.

If you are prepared to offer such a glaring criticism using terms such as "between mediocre and awful", you should be be prepared to meet differing opinions. I said you're entitled to your opinion and you are. I am entitled to mine.

Genesis/Yes/Rush/Marillion/VDGG&PH/The Flower Kings/Zappa/Änglagård/Wobbler/PFM/Banco/Le Orme/Jethro Tull/Spock's Beard/Transatlantic/Ayreon/Beardfish/IQ/Dream Theater/Opeth/P.Tree/Arena/Camel/Kaipa!
Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 13:30
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

By the way, I could look this up but just who the hell is Chris Stewart?

Let's consult Wikipedia on the matter! Geek
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 13:46
Tony Banks!?! How can anyone hate Tony Banks?
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 14:08
Sincerely I can't understand the meaning of this poll.  I suspect that it is trying to lead things to show that Phil Collins is the least favourite and Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel are in the other corner. Why don't you do the same with King Crimson, ELP or Yes? In my opinion this kind of things are just a cliche. 

I will not vote in this one. I think that it has nonsense. Quietly the poll could have been in the positive way.

Anthony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 16:53

I haven't been smoking at all. Compared to, let's say; Gentle Giant, Pink Floyd, Magma, King Crimson and even Yes, Genesis has by far the worst sounding drums. They completely destroy the sound of their recordings. This is due to the bad recording for which I blame Collins, since his predecessor had a fine recording on Trespass.  

Say whatever you want about the sound, but at least Phil can play drums at all, unlike the boring stuff you find on most Pink Floyd albums.
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 16:58
After Duke,Phil.
Shake & bake.
pied piper View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 17:00
Oh well, I don't think there is a Genesis member I dislike, even Chris Stewart or John Silver played their role.
I fully disagree with the guy who think that Collins' drumming is mediocre and awful... how can he say such an absurd thing? Collins in the seventies was considered the best living drummer and won several polls, and inspired many and many drummers. In Italy he was considered a real God Of Drums.

Anyway, I'm thinking about their SOLO projects.
I love Tony Banks' ones, and many of Hackett's. OK for Gabriel, too. Lovable are Rutherford's and Phillips first albums. But I didn't like Collins poppish releases. I think that the best Collins' compositions (for solo projects) are the one he wrote and performed for Disney's Tarzan!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 17:31
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Phil Collins is a brilliant drummer. And both Rutherford and Banks are also responsible for Genesis' direction. Fact.

Absolutely ! As much as most would 'blame' Phil for the downward spiral of the once great Genesis, he was and really is an incredible drummer.  The band's choice of direction was (I'm sure) a band decision so share the blame equally if you must. I'm not really familiar with the last two on the list since I don't see any credit for them on any of the albums. I'll abstain from participating in this poll.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 19:12
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Phil Collins is a brilliant drummer. And both Rutherford and Banks are also responsible for Genesis' direction. Fact.

Absolutely ! As much as most would 'blame' Phil for the downward spiral of the once great Genesis, he was and really is an incredible drummer.  The band's choice of direction was (I'm sure) a band decision so share the blame equally if you must (...). I'll abstain from participating in this poll.

I agree with the above and I'll abstain too. In general I do not like 'hate' threads.
Adams Bolero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 19:49

My God what an awful poll! It's only propose is to bring out the tiresome Phil Collins bashers or in general just spread bad vibes around here. And I disagree with your statement that ''Life isn´t positive at all, therefore every poll cannot be always positive''. Yes life is not always positive but i come here to be uplifted and escape the negativity of ordinary life by discussing my favourite music. I don't need negative threads just because a lot of real life is negative. This place should encourage good feelings and good debate and not encourage bad feelings by declaring which member of a certain band we don't like.

Edited by Adams Bolero - September 06 2010 at 19:50
''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 20:09
This poll has all the meaning of the best and greatest polls.  Just because they might be positive, doesn't make them better.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

tarkus1980 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 20:10
Funny, I actually thought of having this poll a few days ago, except only involving the classic quintet.
"History of Rock Written by the Losers."
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 20:36
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

This poll has all the meaning of the best and greatest polls.  Just because they might be positive, doesn't make them better.

And which is that meaning?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 21:07
If this clarifies any, we have these best of worst of polls and if you get to know a lot of music those terms get meaningless.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 21:31
This poll is ridiculous...but, others may not think so.
Chela View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 22:57

I can't believe people have voted for the first five.

How can anyone hate Peter Gabriel's singing??
I suppose you're all entitled to your opinion.
There should be a smiley that slaps.

Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2010 at 02:23
Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

Sincerely I can't understand the meaning of this poll.  I suspect that it is trying to lead things to show that Phil Collins is the least favourite and Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel are in the other corner. Why don't you do the same with King Crimson, ELP or Yes? In my opinion this kind of things are just a cliche. 

I will not vote in this one. I think that it has nonsense. Quietly the poll could have been in the positive way.

Look at the headline of this poll. I´ve interpreted this problem there. People are generally more interesting by negative than positive things, that´s a well-known fact. As regards similar polls with above mentioned bands, I´m seriously thinking about it. This poll is the "first swallow".
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>