FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgDay 2010

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ProgDay 2010
    Posted: September 07 2010 at 12:38

It was another exquisite ProgDay this year. The weather was great and the people were friendly as always. The performances were on schedule and excellent. The highlights for me were Mahogany Frog and Scale the Summit. These two bands play very different music, but are young, full of energy, and deliver great performances. The show by Mars Hollow was also exceptional. Half Past Four and Shadow Circus got things off to a high-energy start on Saturday and Sunday, respectively. Barry Cleveland’s Hologramatron provided spacey and intelligent improvisation during the height of the Saturday heat. Classic prog band, Flash, provided a crowd pleasing wrap-up to things on Saturday, and the mostly wild ‘n’ crazy The Muffins closed the weekend on a humorous and upbeat note. Overall, ProgDay 2010 was an extraordinary musical and social experience.

The fact that ProgDay included no overseas bands was noted by all. This was, IMHO, just fine. The organizers of the event were able to put together an excellent weekend of music by recruiting only US and Canadian bands. The fact they made budget-conscious choices in no way meant that they sacrificed line-up quality. I don’t imagine I’ll have as good a time or hear so much great music until next Labor Day weekend. Even if ProgDay 2011 is only half as good ProgDay 2010, it will be a not-to-be-missed event. I can’t wait.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 04:57
As I already said in another thread, I am working on my 'official' review of the event, to be published on ProgressoR at the end of September. For the time being, you can read a shorter, more personal comment on my own blog:
http://progmistress.wordpress.com/2010/09/07/interlude-progday-2010/

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 05:58
Hi Jonathan, thanks for posting this review here. Do you happen to know what tunes Mahogany Frog played and whether they played any new tune (perhaps from an up and coming album)?
reedjo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 06:47
I'm sorry, but I am not familiar enough with Mahogany Frog's material to answer your question. I only had a few opportunities to listen to their CDs prior to ProgDay. Can anybody else out there assist in this matter?
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 07:07
That's fine, no sweat.
Did you hear any Scale the Summit before the fest? I thought it was a creative and good idea to have them on the lineup, kudos to the people who chose them.

reedjo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 10:33

I was not familiar with the music of any of the ProgDay 2010 bands until they were announced. As each band was added to the line-up, I bought their CDs and got to know their music just a little bit before the Labor Day weekend. (The only performers on the bill that I had even heard of were The Muffins, and that was because they played ProgDay twice in the past and I saw them listed on old rosters.) Thus, I had given the CDs of Scale the Summit a couple of listens prior to the show. I liked them instantly and they certainly provided a stand-out ProgDay performance. I agree that the band selection committee made a fine decision by including them in this year’s line-up.

sherrynoland View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 01:36
Originally posted by reedjo reedjo wrote:

The fact that ProgDay included no overseas bands was noted by all.

Though Flash is headquartered in Las Vegas at the moment, they still consider themselves a British band.  The original Flash line-up was all British, living in England.  The remaining two founding members and writers, Ray Bennett and Colin Carter, are British as well as the drummer, Mark Pardy.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 09:02
As promised some time ago, here's finally my complete review of ProgDay:

http://www.progressor.net/progday2010.html

Hope you all enjoy it!
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 11:12