Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slartibartfast's Magical Music Random Load Blog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSlartibartfast's Magical Music Random Load Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 18>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2010 at 21:44
I think it was reproducing when I was not watching, because there's Circle In The Round and Directions down there too Clap

Once that unreleased Miles stuff was let loose, well it was let loose....
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2010 at 21:46
n.b., my CD's do not seem to reproduce in this manner Wink
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2010 at 21:59
LOL

It's kind of weird, I first got know some of the music of Miles at free jazz festivals in Piedmont Park in Atlanta when I was a teen.  I didn't get my first on until I bought The Complete Bitches Brew box set in 1999 and since then I've been steadily adding titles.  The local independent stores have typically had something I haven't tried yet and his catalog is so huge.  I like everything going back to Birth Of The Cool, which is my earliest title.  For me, if someone were to ask me what is jazz?  I'd put on Kind Of Blue and that would be it.  Not to take anything away from other stuff in the wide world of jazz. 
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2010 at 22:31
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

LOL

It's kind of weird, I first got know some of the music of Miles at free jazz festivals in Piedmont Park in Atlanta when I was a teen.  I didn't get my first on until I bought The Complete Bitches Brew box set in 1999 and since then I've been steadily adding titles.  The local independent stores have typically had something I haven't tried yet and his catalog is so huge.  I like everything going back to Birth Of The Cool, which is my earliest title.  For me, if someone were to ask me what is jazz?  I'd put on Kind Of Blue and that would be it.  Not to take anything away from other stuff in the wide world of jazz. 
]

I like Birth Of The Cool for historical reasons, but really don't listen to it very often (see Water Babies).  I like a lot of the old Miles stuff, but I really love the At The Blackhawk recordings, which were early 60's. Still, I swear, there's like 20-30 Miles LPs that reproduced down there while I wasn't looking  ('course, I ain't had no flood...Cry) but ya can blame the proliferation on Prop 19.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 21:22
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

I like Birth Of The Cool for historical reasons, but really don't listen to it very often

Darn That Dream is his best track ever. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2010 at 18:21
The next batch:

Budd, Harold    Serpent (In Quicksilver/Abandoned Cities, The - one of those albums which demonstrates that you should never write anything off.  Before I started my music circulation scheme this one was on the shelf gathering dust.  I don't know why, but I was going on vacation with my girlfriend before my wife and I took a walk on the beach alone with this one in the portable CD player (headphones) and it clicked with me.

Childs, Toni    Union - I've got three of hers and what got me started was The Woman's Boat for having Robert Fripp on it.  This one has one of the Davids from the next item as well as a Rhodes named David and Steve Hogarth and a few others prog fans might recognize, Jerry Marottta, Alex Weir...

David + David    Boomtown - I know this album for the air play it got on an alternative radio station that I was listening to on the job two jobs and many years ago due to co-workers playing the station.  I like these guys for having an obvious Fripp influence in their music.

Focus    In and Out of Focus - sometimes a prog band's first release isn't too pretty.  This one is pretty much not like the others but has some great moments.

Frith, Fred    Rivers and Tides - I'm going to sound like a broken record about Frith but pretty cool stuff in the '70's and '80's, much less interesting stuff for me afterwards.

Gong    Angel's Egg - I still don't have number one of the trilogry and I really should remedy that one.  You was the one that really got me now on Daevid Allen's incarnationses of Gongs.  Took me a while to get a copy of this one.  You still reigns supreme.

Henry Fool    Henry Fool - Henry Fool Henry Fool, just felt the need to be redundant for some stupid reason.  I went on a bit of a Tim Bowness binge when I first heard no-man.  This is a really good album even though it is more Bowness and no Wilson.

High Llamas, The    retrospective, rarities & instrumentals - a band that will not likely appeal to any fans around here.  I wouldn't have bought this one if I had investigated it first before ordering it.  Only one track that I didn't already have.  If you have any interest in exploring this band, their early stuff is best.  I think Snowbug, which isn't too early, might be of interest.

Synergy    Sequencer - Larry Fast, say no more.  Does a cover of Oregon's Icarus.  There was better stuff to come from Larry to these ears.

Synergy    Reconstructed Artifacts - Larry rehashes stuff from his past Synergy album.  Not essential unless you want a good assortment Synergy album or are just a huge fan.

Tomita, Isao    Live at Linz, 1984 - The Mind of the Universe - another syntesist, what the hell is up with this?.  When it comes to synthesized interpretations of classical music Tomita is amongst the best.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 06 2010 at 18:37

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 15:30
I agree with you Slarts on that Henry Fool album. It's got a lot of mellotron on it too. I keep hearing they're going to do a second album but i'm still waiting.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 20:33
I'd definitely have to go for a new Henry Fool album.  Get with it guys. LOL

Time for a new batch:

Col. Bruce Hampton & The Aquarium Rescue Unit    Col. Bruce Hampton & The Aquarium Rescue Unit - a Bruce project that had a life of its own after he moved on.  If you like the avant and Bela Fleck check them out.

Jethro Tull    Minstrel in the Gallery (Remaster)  - Always coll this the Menstrual In The Gallery just because I'm a fungi.  One of their better ones from a prog standpoint and one of the albums that qualifies them for prog folk.

Laddio Bolocko    Strange Warmings of - OK if anyone knows of this band I will be highly surprised.  Not bad yet I do regret them taking up space in my collection.  File this under you can't make this stuff up: the band stayed overnight at the house of my bosses many years ago.

Maserati    Language of Cities, The - I've only got two of theirs so far.  They are from Athens, Georgia.  Near my neck of the woods.  When you say post rock, Explosions In The Sky comes to mind first typically.  These guys seem a little better.

no-man    dry cleaning ray - one of the albums I bought when I was on a no-man binge.  I like it but it's just that I am still hung over from the binge.

Rundgren, Todd    Initiation - Todd's slouching towards prog with this one.  Of course the first Utopia is his prog masterpiece.  Ra is flawed but good.

Vangelis    El Greco - well regarded by people here that have it.  Rather boring to these ears.  I would not recommend it, but if you a Vangelis fan, it may work for you.

XTC    Wasp Star (Apple Venus Volume 2) - XTC comes on the scene for a couple of more studio albums and I believe they have now called it quits.  I really like the stuff on those two.  Brings me back to the time I was dating my wife.

Yothu Yindi    Tribal Voice - I wouldn't know this band were it not for an appearance on the Dennis Miller show.  Not long after DM became a total jerk.  I still like this band although I just got one more album and moved on.  I'd recommend this over the other one.

van't Hof, Jasper  Brutto Tempo - I am still trying to track down an album or the live show that I had on cassette.  For the guy looking for keyboard oriented jazz-fusion, this might work for you.

Jackson, Joe  Jumpin' Jive - Joe's tribute to the 30' and 40's.  If you like the swinging stuff from that era you might like this album.  It seems that he did faithful covers of tunes from back then, but I don't pretend to be an expert on it.

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 22:59
Minstrel I can do without.  Mebbe there's a couple of good songs.  I'm sorry, gimme TAAB.  And while I'm thinking about it, f**k Passion Play and its ilk.

XTC I've said my piece around here.  Maybe Apple Venus Vol 2 is a bit more rock-y; I've got no problem with that.  Between Vol 1 and 2, I don't know what more you'd want as a listener.  I love these guys. No one here will admit it, in fact they will get their thongs tied in knots down there about it, but XTC was the second best prog band of the '80s.  The first best prog band of the '80s is also missing here.  I'm too old to argue any longer.  I know what is true.  

Ol' Joe Jackson.  I love the Great American Songbook.  Maybe he was not the one to play it, but let's give him a Thumbs Up for trying. 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 21:25
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Minstrel I can do without.  Mebbe there's a couple of good songs.  I'm sorry, gimme TAAB.  And while I'm thinking about it, f**k Passion Play and its ilk.  Aww man, that is so harsh.  I like all the albums you mentioned.

XTC I've said my piece around here.  Maybe Apple Venus Vol 2 is a bit more rock-y; I've got no problem with that.  Between Vol 1 and 2, I don't know what more you'd want as a listener.  I love these guys. No one here will admit it, in fact they will get their thongs tied in knots down there about it, but XTC was the second best prog band of the '80s.  The first best prog band of the '80s is also missing here.  I'm too old to argue any longer.  I know what is true.  I've always considered the guys progMy intro was English Settlement.  Dial it back a few years and they hadn't quite got there but still made some good stuff.

Ol' Joe Jackson.  I love the Great American Songbook.  Maybe he was not the one to play it, but let's give him a Thumbs Up for trying. You have managed to hit on one Joe I do not know.

I don't know if I want to fill up the newly available slots for tomorrow or not.  I've got eight spots but I also have enough in the case to make it through Friday.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 11 2010 at 21:27

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 14:37
My next batch:

Bears,The    Rise and Shine    74
Garbarek, Anja    Smiling And Waving    391
Glass, Philip    Kundun    419
Johnson, Eric    Ah Via Musicom    575
Marillion    Script For A Jester's Tear (Remaster)    658
no-man    lost songs: volume one    781
no-man    returning jesus    782
Oldfield, Mike    Earth Moving    799
Passport    Cross Colateral    827
Passport    Infinity Machine    828
Hackett, Steve    Time Lapse (Live)    988 988? ok did some weird sort on my list. LOL
Vangelis    Spiral    1140

The numbers are the numbers that generate at random for whatever I have left in this pass through my music collection.  It's kind of weird that two Passports and two no-man came up for the amount of titles that I am going through.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 13 2010 at 14:47

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:16
I can comment on these before I listen:

Bears,The    Rise and Shine -  Adrian Belew is one of the two guitarists in the band and they managed to make the '80's suck less for proggers.

Garbarek, Anja    Smiling And Waving    391 - I'm a newbie to her stuff, but was one of the ones who I gave  aThumbs Up for her when I was voting on the crossover teamon the crossover team.  This is my only one so far.  A really interesting album I must say.  Robert Wyatt has worked with her and puts in an appearance but not on the song that she appears on for comicopera: Stay Tuned.

Glass, Philip    Kundun    419 - I think Philip is one of those artists who is best appreciated in the visual.  I got into him with Koyannisquatsi.  Haven't seen the movie yet.  This soundtrack doesn't particularly move me.

Johnson, Eric    Ah Via Musicom    575 - another one of those artists for whom I think is a matter of time before addition. 

Marillion    Script For A Jester's Tear (Remaster)    658 - got an LP of this when it came out.  Lost touch with the band after that.  They've done stuff I like in both the Fish and Hogarth era but have lately become a bit stale to me.

no-man    lost songs: volume one    781 - Went on a no-man binge starting with this one.  Probably went too fat.  Better digested in small doses.
no-man    returning jesus    782 - see above.  A good album, but Bowness usually has a fairly static vocal style that will wear on you after a while.

Oldfield, Mike    Earth Moving    799 - another one of those weird coincidences by going random through the collection.  Adrian does a cameo on this one.  Probably the best song on here.  Mikey went a little too commercial on this one.  Innocent isn't too bad.  The rest aren't all that bad.  I bought it as cutout many years ago, so that should tell you something.

Passport    Cross Colateral    827 - two Passports, what the hell?  Anyway, both of these come from their prime era for me
Passport    Infinity Machine    828

Hackett, Steve    Time Lapse (Live)    988 988? ok did some weird sort on my list. LOL - a single Genesis song and a nice set from his self-titled material.  Why do we call these types of albums solo anyway? 

Vangelis    Spiral    1140 - I can't  remember, but I think none of this stuff was used on Carl Sagan's Cosmos US PBS series, which played a major role in getting me into the V man.  The '75 to '80 albums are my favorites.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 14 2010 at 11:12

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 14:13
Eric Johnson can play a bitStern Smile i have that cd of his you mentioned and a couple of others too.He has such a great tone with that guitar. That would be cool if he was added here.
Your avatar is causing me some concern.

"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 18:10
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Eric Johnson can play a bitStern Smile i have that cd of his you mentioned and a couple of others too.He has such a great tone with that guitar. That would be cool if he was added here.
Your avatar is causing me some concern.

I got better. LOL

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 07:17
I just loaded these.  Didn't when I selected them.  So here are the drive by reviews:

Roxy Music    Avalon - a band that started out very rough around the edges to my ears.  By the time they made it here they had become a bit smoother and sophisticated and probably too pop for the tastes of many of their early period fanatics.

Marillion    B'Sides Themselves - I think this album is almost obsolete.  The B sides are available on all the remastered versions. 

Stereolab    First of the Microbe Hunters, The - not quite as inspired as it's predecessor Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage in the Milky Night.  I actually liked it better than the guy who turned me on this band.

Belew, Adrian    Guitar As Orchestra, The - one of those albums I wish I had listened to once and not put in my collection.  These kind of albums will remain for their novelty value.

Childs, Toni    House of Hope - I probably wouldn't place this in a prog category, but she does work with really good musicians who are.  She's kind of an acquired taste, but I like the three albums I have.

Stereolab    Instant 0 In The Universe - their first album since Mary Hansen died in a bicycle accident, hence the instant 0.  A decent EP.  If you're familiar with her contributions to the band, you know how bad Mary will is missed.

Synergy    Metropolitan Suite - Larry Fast is really one of those keyboard/synthesizer players who should get more recognition around here (I just find that better to say than underrated LOL).  Another bit of music from the '80's that makes the case that the '80's didn't suck for prog.

Nine Inch Nails    Pretty Hate Machine - if this were Trent's only album, I still might like NIN, but I would not have given them the thumbs up for crossover.  Still a decent initial album. 

Oldfield, Mike    QE2 - it's really weird, this album was part of a rather large Christmas gift batch from someone I used to work for (thanks Dawn! Big smile).  It, uh, still hasn't, uh, sunk in.  I've had it for a few years. 

Moraz, Patrick    i - Oh my God, oh my God,  oh my God!!!  I've known this album since the early days of becoming a prog freak.  Although Moraz was just a one album and tour member of Yes, the band members were on a solo album making tear.  For me this one is a rival of Olias Of Sunhillow.  I like Fish Out Of Water, too, but not as much those two.                         

Hackett, Steve    A Midsummer Night's Dream - after Hackett made some failed attempts at commercial albums, he came to his senses and went in a classical music direction.  I've picked up more than a few of albums of this flavor and they are all quite good.

Marsalis, Branford Quartet    Requiem - a tribute to Kenny Kirkland who had just died.  Good modern jazz, say no more.

Di Meola, Al    Scenario - maybe some people will say there is an '80's taint to this, I think it's among one of the better '80's albums by a prog artist of course, not amongst the best.  Mostly a Di Meola/Hammer duet effort.  Levin and Bruford show up for a track.

And now I don't have to scramble for a loading in the morning. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 17 2010 at 20:33

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 21:55
I haven't finished the last batch, but here's the next round:

Belew, Adrian    Op Zop Too Wah - an album that really brings me back to the time when it was released.  And in my backyard I have a little creek, I don't go to dream there though.

Budd, Harold    Lovely Thunder - Budd is ambient and intense
Curved Air    Second Album - if you like female prog vocalists and prog with violin, you should have or get this one.  I think they got even better when Eddie replaced Darryl on violin, Eddie moved on Darryl came back, band came down with the commecialitis, but I'm OK with the commercial material.  This one is totally prog affair.

Djam Karet    Ascension - I'm not entirely sure what kind of mushrooms those are on the cover, but uhm, a companion album to the most excellent New Dark Age.  Mellower, but not totally.  Mine says it's a limited edition of 750, but you can still buy one from their web site so either they made some more or you'd better hurry and get a copy before they run out. 

Pink Floyd    Atom Heart Mother - lots of people here rave about this album but I find it one of their less impressive ones.   Still one I like.  Haven't given it a spin in this run so may revise my opinion.

Torn, David, Mick Karn,Terry Bozzio    Polytown - Torn is one of those prog guitar artists that more prog music fans really need to check out.  This one hasn't made a big impression on me though.  Haven't spun this one in a while but it's a more rock effort. 

Towner, Ralph    Open Letter - excellent album if you like mellow music, guitar and synths for the most part.

There's a few here that I could comment on right away, but some that deserve a relisten.  Since I have four in line ahead of them and a couple of new titles it's best to hold off.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 21 2010 at 08:20

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 18:43
Beck, Jeff    Wired - Jeff's '70's stuff remain his finest.  He banged the Hammer rather well.

Davis, Miles    Filles De Kilimanjaro - Miles was about to go all Jazz/Rock on peoples asses.  I think you can hear him headed there here.

Gong    Expresso II - well, I'm one of those that got into Gong when Pierre was at the helm.  This is another excellent set from that era.

Oldfield, Mike    Music Of The Spheres - Mike doing a piece of orchestral prog with heavy Tubular Bells overtures.

Pink Floyd    Animals/Saucer Full of Secrets - somebody decided to sell off a PF box set in pieces.  I ordered a used copy of the wall that turned out to be from the same set.  Can't complain about Animals and Saucer being combined on one disc.  Still I was expecting for Animals and The Wall to be from an original album release.  Plenty of fans of all three of those albums around here, myself included.

Porcupine Tree    We Lost The Skyline - acoustic duet that I happened upon browsing at my local independent brick and mortar store.  Couldn't pass it up.  The mark of any really good live album is the departure in some shape or form from the studio versions and this one lives up to that.

Talking Heads    Fear of Music (Remaster) - Jerry Harrison presided over the remix/remaster of the TH catalog and you get 5.1 mixes and bonus material including video stuff.  If you're a TH fan and have their 70's stuff you will probably need to get this one.

U.K.    U.K. - ook ook ook.  When I made a copy of this on cassette I had to pair it up with Bill Bruford's One Of A Kind.  Kind of companion albums I must say.  It's a shame Bruford and Holdsworth didn't hang around for another album.  The quartet with Jobson and Wetton were a pretty good team.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 21 2010 at 18:47

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 19:36

It might be Blow By Blow generally popular in the album that Jeff Beck announced in the 70's. However, I overwhelmingly support Wired. I always love this album. Especially, "Sophie" and "Play With Me" are my favorites. It is said that Narada Michael Walden cannot do such a performance any longer. It might be an album overwhelming like it.

I think that I am also good of the album of Miles Davis. It is felt that it is an important album as the flow that it reaches Bitches Brew. Listening as "In a Silent Way" and the pair might be good as the album of the latter half of the 60's.

It is 1st album of "U.K" for me.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 21:17
Happy Rhodesongs goes in, Number Seven comes out and now it's time for another batch of 8 (Olympia is in heavy rotation):

Allman Brothers, The    At the Fillmore East - if you only try or have one AB album, this is the one.  I would not steer you wrong.

Amos, Tori    Beekeeper, The - Tori is one of those artists that just never disappoints me.  This is a sort of concept album.  I got the deluxe version that comes with DVD a really nice booklet and a pack of wildflower seeds that I have never planted.

High Llamas    Can Cladders - these guys are a bit of a mixed bag in terms of their albums.  There are some really good ones and some dull ones.  This one is one of the dull ones. For recent times they haven't surpassed Snowbug.

Kindler, Steve    Across a Rainbow Sea - damn, why did I draw two snooze fests?  Steve has worked with Jan Hammer but this is average new age stuff.  I'd probably sell it, but I'm fairly certain it wouldn't fetch more than the postage it would take to mail it to someone.

Stereolab    fab four suture - basic Stereolab album.  Doesn't really stand out. 

Sting    Dream of the Blue Turtles, The - really liked this one when it came out.  When I saw the Bring On The Night movie and saw Miles Copeland's attitude towards the other band members when they were negotiating for more money from the tour, it kind of soured me to Sting.  I remember Steve Martin on a joint Saturday Live sketch referring to him as Stingy.  A rather good continuation of the proggy direction that the Police had taken.

Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilitch/Alexander Borodin    Sleeping Beauty, Romeo & Juliet/Polovesian Dances - eh.  Doesn't really move me like some of the other decomposing composers.  Primarily got this one early in my CD collecting days because it was cheap.  I bet fans here of the T man could direct me to better stuff.

Wyatt, Robert    Solar Flares Will Burn You - I'm a believer.  No really, he covers The Monkee's song, which is rather funny as I was a big fan of them as a kid.  Rather lost interest in them as I got into prog.  I did have to get a DVD of their movie Head.  It's got a Frank Zappa cameo you know...  Anyway, this is a release for the fans of Robert as it is a compilation of demos and stuff that didn't make it to a regular studio album.

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 07:28
Some great selections over this whole page

those that jump put

"Childs, Toni    Union - I've got three of hers and what got me started was The Woman's Boat for having Robert Fripp on it.  This one has one of the Davids from the next item as well as a Rhodes named David and Steve Hogarth and a few others prog fans might recognize, Jerry Marottta, Alex Weir..."

yeah amazing artist, her greatest hits is one of my faves

Also

Yothi Yindi - Great Aus band with amazing tribal music... very much the indigenous sound with slices of pop.

The Pink Floyd albums -
Atom Heart Mother - a mother of a disappointment
Saucerful of boredom
Animals - grew on me but still not one of my faves

keep em coming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 18>