Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 01:36
For the moment I hate shops because I have no money Angry
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 12:49
I love Platekompaniet in Norway they have varied suplie of music and loads of prog as well, not perfect but better then most of what ive seen.

the larger stores are full of gems
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 21:47
Definitely more fun to go to a store, but generally you can find a wider variety for less online... I probably end up getting more from Amazon because of that.

My home music store though is Indy CD and Vinyl in Broad Ripple, Indianapolis, Indiana.. For anyone who cares.

Edited by Eärendil - November 10 2010 at 15:54
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 12:11
Between 1989 and 1994, I shopped at Vintage Vinyl. Two stores. One in Ocean, N.J. and the other in Fords, N.J. Both shops were like museums filled with prog titles. Prog titles that were not available domestically or had yet to be released in the U.K. Not to my knowledge because all the imports were Japanese. All 4 Greenslade titles, Curved Air, Atomic Rooster, Chris Squire's Fish Out Of Water and McDonald and Giles were easy to obtain from Vintage Vinyl but impossible to find in other stores. Tower Records would sometimes stock Japanese imports but, not nearly as extensive as Vintage Vinyl.

I purchased all the early Fleetwood Mac titles there along with many of the underground British Blues Boom artists. I spent thousands there and years later it was all released in the U.K. and available through mail service vendors in America. I used to order from Jem Records in the 70's and 80's. Marty from Jem who used to sell imports from the back of his station wagon opened Jem Imports in South Plainfield and North Plainfield N,J. It was the best way to obtain Gong, Hawkwind, and Guru, Guru titles. Unless you ordered from a record shop that dealt with Marty. Better to order from the source though. Archie Patterson who was associated with Green World on the west coast was part of the same early movement as Jem. Their goal was to sell underground progressive music. Whether it was electronic, krautrock, space rock, or what was labeld then as Progressive Rock like PFM. These guys broke down the barrier at a time when this kind of music was well known in the U.K. but, hardly available in America. These 2 guys were extremely vital to the change in business.

Plastic Fantastic in Ardmore P.A. sold mainly used copies of rare (or rare then), progressive European albums. I bought the Beaver & Krause collection there in the 80's. Third Street Jazz and Rock in Philadelphia was a wonderful shop with 2 floors. Upstairs you had Jazz, Downstairs were actual collections of Blues music and Progressive Rock. Imported versions of Guru, Guru on Atlantic Records and plenty of Klaus Schulze. They sold the import cd's of Jade Warrior on the German Line label. They were supposedly phased wrong and I passed on them. Goblin, Eloy, and many others were available week to week. When Wayside Music entered the picture, it was then more possible to obtain Univers Zero, Conventum, and just many bands from countires unthought of by Americans. Steve F. made it possible for fans of progressive to obtain even a wider spectrum of prog like Pulsar, Art Zoyd, and he also stocked many albums that were released by Mexican musicians. Then I became aware that there was an electronic scene in Mexico. Also many Mexican prog bands that blew me away!
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 16:54
I've just started frequenting the local record shop, and am working to sanely and cheaply grow my vinyl collection.  Over the last couple of weeks, I've found a few gems: Colosseum's debut for a dollar, Automatic Man's first release, a beautiful vintage copy of Queen's debut, Refugee's sole release, and a copy of Klaatu's 3:47 E.S.T.  The shop gets a major boost from hip/trendy University students, and they use this leverage to bloat their prices, but I stick to the obscure vintage boxes on the floor.  Am a very happy prog fan at this moment.

Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 18:13
I don't know all of these, but I do highly recommend Automatic Man's first.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123