Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVangelis vs. J.M.Jarre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Who is closer to the Prog feel?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
45 [77.59%]
13 [22.41%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 00:18
thats fair...and objective

LadyHawke View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 00:25
Well maybe in some cyberpunkish way,....Vangelis would,but nevertheless,who is harder to come up stronger???I would like to see a thread like that???Or maybe some of us...I've been in that kind of marquee,...CHEERSShocked
trackstoni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 00:26
Vangelis by 20 votes more , up till now !
Tracking Tracks of Rock
LadyHawke View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 00:31
EXACTLY...open mind is a great mind....greetings.......we would never be here ...ohh my oh my...Clap

zbida View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 02:03
Both are my favourite electronic masters. Generally Vangelis, but hard to beat Oxygene...
kglenz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 18:34
Both are great and very hard to compare. I think art isn't about "who's better" - great art is about finding one's own voice and utilizing technique. But there's nothing like "which do you prefer" - although I do enjoy them equally I probably play J.M.Jarre's work a bit more. Unfortunately, many of Vagelis albums sound a bit dated to me, but Vangelis has a much greater repertoire and stylistically shifts into different areas. I do enjoy Vangelis work with J.Anderson & a few early LP's, but Jarre's work is just sonically mesmerizing. In addition to Tomita there's also Michael Shrieve/Steve Roach, Japan & David Sylvian's work, M.Omartian, E.Jobson, J.Lancaster & Robin Lumley, early Strawbs with with Wakemen, Kitaro has a similar sound, Tangerine Dream, Patric Moraz, M.Oldfield, Synergy & Larry Fast, Shadowfax, M. Hoenig, and I really enjoy the 70's moog albums that do classical renditions. I'm a huge classical listener and I prefer smaller ensembles or solo piano, guitar or violin. I love it when high end moog & synth's are recorded well and result in adding a new dimension to works, making them more palatable to new listeners. I have some amazing recordings of Bach with organs that sound like symphonies. 
Lynx33 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 19:00
bitter moon score by vangelis is exceptional
Mindez elmúlt. Ma már tudom köszönteni a szépséget.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 19:29
Heaven & Hell is a masterpiece of pure Progressive Rock, he made other great albums, so Vangelis it is.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - November 30 2010 at 19:31

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2010 at 11:59
I think Vangelis's music is more progressive than Jarre's.
Although Vangelis has more albums than Jarre , Jarre leads by far in my  listenings time.I like Vangelis a lot, but when I listen to Jarre the music carries me away in a way that Vangelis doesn't.IMHO Jarre achieves some musical peaks that Vangelis hasn't until now- on a scale from 0 to 100 in electronic music, I would put Vangelis at 90 and Jarre at 100.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2010 at 14:38
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

I think Vangelis's music is more progressive than Jarre's.
Although Vangelis has more albums than Jarre , Jarre leads by far in my  listenings time.I like Vangelis a lot, but when I listen to Jarre the music carries me away in a way that Vangelis doesn't.IMHO Jarre achieves some musical peaks that Vangelis hasn't until now- on a scale from 0 to 100 in electronic music, I would put Vangelis at 90 and Jarre at 100.

The term 'electronic music' is quite interesting in itself as Vangelis did not really embrace 'traditional' electronic music in the same way that Tangerine Dream, Klause Schulze,J J Jarre, Tomita etc did. Vangelis uses a lot of acoustic and percussion instruments as well as the synths. Vangelies first half dozen solo albums in fact didn't even include synths at all. Heaven and Hell I believe was his first (although I stand to be corrected) but I am fairly certain that no synths were presence on Earth, Hypothesis, The Dragon,Apocalypse Des Animaux or any of the Aphrodites Child releases. On the other hand JM Jarre jumped right in at the deep end and virtually redefined the boundaries in electronic music with Oxygene.Around that time  Vangelis recorded the excellent Spiral which is the closest Vangelis got to JM Jarre's territory imo (perhaps influenced by??) but after that he veered away towards more classical styled composition on the likes of China and Chariots Of Fire occasionally throwing in the odd hard to pidgeon hole stuff like Mask and Invisible Connections. Jarre stuck much more solidly to what he was known for and perhaps for that reason I don't find him as interesting or as progressive as Vangelis.
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2010 at 18:39
Vangelis of course!! he did so many different things,he's a far better instrumentalist,jarre is so mainstream, i just like his two first albums and... maybe les chants magnetiques.vangelis is realy prog, no doubt,
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2010 at 19:05
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Jarre for me, easily.  My experience with Vangelis is that he's too 'soundtracky' 

What about V's soundtracks?  Are they as soundtracky as his non soundtrack stuff?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 17:17
I believe that they are considered soundtracky squared, or soundtacky for short.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 01:12
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Vangelis also have some great stuff but too often sounds 'sweet' or 'new agey' for my taste.

My experience with Vangelis is that he's too 'soundtracky' for my personal tastes.

I'm curious to know what you'd think of Heaven & Hell, Albedo 0.39 and Spiral, his superb mid-70s 'symph prog' trilogy that sits right in-between his earlier works and the double freakout of Beauborg and See You Later. Albedo is my favorite. Definitely not 'electronic music' per se. As people have noted, there is piano, real drums, bass, etc.

If you heard Opera Sauvage, I can see why you think he's new age-y, but that label would be more apt for somebody who heard The City, which is really, really atmo & mellow. Its predecessor, Direct, is pretty much instrumental rock, though. That was a nice surprise back in '88!

Blade Runner, of course, is well-known, but an earlier soundtrack from '72, L'Apocalypse L'Animaux, is the one I like best from Vangelis' early years. Beautiful music!

Then there's that collaboration between Van & Neuronium, which is ace!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 01:16
Originally posted by kglenz kglenz wrote:

Both are great and very hard to compare. I think art isn't about "who's better" - great art is about finding one's own voice and utilizing technique. But there's nothing like "which do you prefer" - although I do enjoy them equally I probably play J.M.Jarre's work a bit more. Unfortunately, many of Vagelis albums sound a bit dated to me, but Vangelis has a much greater repertoire and stylistically shifts into different areas. I do enjoy Vangelis work with J.Anderson & a few early LP's, but Jarre's work is just sonically mesmerizing. In addition to Tomita there's also Michael Shrieve/Steve Roach, Japan & David Sylvian's work, M.Omartian, E.Jobson, J.Lancaster & Robin Lumley, early Strawbs with with Wakemen, Kitaro has a similar sound, Tangerine Dream, Patric Moraz, M.Oldfield, Synergy & Larry Fast, Shadowfax, M. Hoenig, and I really enjoy the 70's moog albums that do classical renditions. I'm a huge classical listener and I prefer smaller ensembles or solo piano, guitar or violin. I love it when high end moog & synth's are recorded well and result in adding a new dimension to works, making them more palatable to new listeners. I have some amazing recordings of Bach with organs that sound like symphonies. 

Good rundown of many of the '70s synth/electronic pioneers, but don't forget Roger Powell's Cosmic Furnace, recorded entirely with ARP synths. That album is what got Roger noticed by Todd Rundgren, followed by an invite to join Utopia when they were still a real prog band.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 11:19
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Vangelis also have some great stuff but too often sounds 'sweet' or 'new agey' for my taste.

My experience with Vangelis is that he's too 'soundtracky' for my personal tastes.

I'm curious to know what you'd think of Heaven & Hell, Albedo 0.39 and Spiral, his superb mid-70s 'symph prog' trilogy that sits right in-between his earlier works and the double freakout of Beauborg and See You Later. Albedo is my favorite. Definitely not 'electronic music' per se. As people have noted, there is piano, real drums, bass, etc.

If you heard Opera Sauvage, I can see why you think he's new age-y, but that label would be more apt for somebody who heard The City, which is really, really atmo & mellow. Its predecessor, Direct, is pretty much instrumental rock, though. That was a nice surprise back in '88!

Blade Runner, of course, is well-known, but an earlier soundtrack from '72, L'Apocalypse L'Animaux, is the one I like best from Vangelis' early years. Beautiful music!

Verslibre, it wasn't meant to trivialize Vangelis' music. I believe Albedo 0.39 is a almost-a-masterpiece,and I quite like, actually, many of his works.  The question is the use of electronic devices, and how much 'electronic' each of these artists in their essence are. They might have a vision of their music through the prism of 'electronic' music, 'pop', 'rock', 'classical' and so on...of course this standpoint is purely my personal one, since I'm discussing my taste and observations here.

Vangelis, in his essence (in my opinion) is not an 'electronic' artist...he's using synths as tools for sounds which suits him, not hesitating to use band, choirs, and orchestra...I believe his mainframe is classical and contemporary classical & avangarde music.

On the other hand , Jarre also inclined towards his own concept of beauty (in a dreamy, French way), but the difference is...I can hear his fascination with oscillators, filters, sequences and modulation matrices. Vangelis is extending symphonic repertoire with synths not unlike Wendy Carlos did, although with different focus.

That is not to say each of these artist is not good in their own right. I'm touching two geniuses here. But if there was ever an 'electronic' artist to which digital era did a great favour, it's Vangelis. Even his early works with Aphrodite's Child reveal more high-pass-filtered waveforms than buzzy, murmuring, fat analog sounds.

In the very essence, what encapsulates Vangelis is a lovely piano passage on 'Antarctica' with synth tapestry underneath. Jarre is a more for a ethereal melody over ARP 2600 sequence. I just like 'electronic' sounds more, that's it.

P.S. I have yet to check Vangelis' collaboration with Neuronium...I love Neuronium a lot!

Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 12:37
Originally posted by glenn_ecko glenn_ecko wrote:

Vangelis gets my vote because of Aphrodites Child and his work with Jon Anderson. Really like JMJ's work as well.

Me too (regarding Vangelis), Aphrodite's Child "666" gets some points for weirdness, even if I don't like it that much. It sounds a bit like being on a party with the Manson Family to me :)

There is some nice choir and keyboards on the later solo stuff too. Jarre sounds a bit too sterile for my tastes.

Edited by Rottenhat - December 08 2010 at 12:43
Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 15:08

Verslibre, it wasn't meant to trivialize Vangelis' music. I believe Albedo 0.39 is a almost-a-masterpiece,and I quite like, actually, many of his works.  The question is the use of electronic devices, and how much 'electronic' each of these artists in their essence are. They might have a vision of their music through the prism of 'electronic' music, 'pop', 'rock', 'classical' and so on...of course this standpoint is purely my personal one, since I'm discussing my taste and observations here.

Vangelis, in his essence (in my opinion) is not an 'electronic' artist...he's using synths as tools for sounds which suits him, not hesitating to use band, choirs, and orchestra...I believe his mainframe is classical and contemporary classical & avangarde music.

On the other hand , Jarre also inclined towards his own concept of beauty (in a dreamy, French way), but the difference is...I can hear his fascination with oscillators, filters, sequences and modulation matrices. Vangelis is extending symphonic repertoire with synths not unlike Wendy Carlos did, although with different focus.

That is not to say each of these artist is not good in their own right. I'm touching two geniuses here. But if there was ever an 'electronic' artist to which digital era did a great favour, it's Vangelis. Even his early works with Aphrodite's Child reveal more high-pass-filtered waveforms than buzzy, murmuring, fat analog sounds.

In the very essence, what encapsulates Vangelis is a lovely piano passage on 'Antarctica' with synth tapestry underneath. Jarre is a more for a ethereal melody over ARP 2600 sequence. I just like 'electronic' sounds more, that's it.

P.S. I have yet to check Vangelis' collaboration with Neuronium...I love Neuronium a lot!

Very nice postClap

The collaboration with Neuronium is a bit of a damp squib to me but you may like it.

Edited by richardh - December 08 2010 at 15:08
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 16:54

My apologies, I assumed you hadn't heard those. Since you're familiar with (and enjoy) those albums, that's good to know. Big smile

I agree! I view him as a multi-keyboardist/multi-instrumentalist who has a lot more in common with guys like Wakeman and Oldfield than Fast, Schulze, Carlos, Shreeve, etc.

So do I. I think synths should conjure sounds which are not already found in the natural world. I also love keyboards in general, so while I like Wakeman, Emerson, Simonetti, etc., they'll never occupy the same chairs as the all-electronic guys. Erik Norlander is one guy who seems to safely wear both prog-keyboardist and EM-synthesist hats, and I enjoy his output a great deal.

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The collaboration with Neuronium is a bit of a damp squib to me but you may like it.

Ouch! LOL
Alberto Muńoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 17:59
Vangelis for sure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>