Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink Floyd - Animals Best Remaster?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
CloseToTheMoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 15:16
I'm only an audiophile in training. But I have nearly the whole catalogue of 1994 masters and they sound pretty good. The tracks are well represented and they aren't overly compressed or too loud. Plus they're the easiest to find.

I suppose the right stereo would make a difference.
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
Makntak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 14:38
Ah yes, replacing the vinyl is a sore point.  There are a number of reasons I need to do this, primary amongst them is the fact that I had my Hi-Fi stolen along with my turntable so I can't actually play them.  This was ten years ago and I've never been in a financial position to replace it all since (!).  Secondly, and also importantly comes the need for general sanity: Lady Makntak ( or er indoors, as she is sometimes referred to) is constantly moaning about how much space my albums take.  Something has to give and, much as I love my vinyl, I actually love The Harpy more.  Thirdly, some of my vinyl is scratched to buggeration and unplayable, even if I did have the equipment - 'Animals' amongst them :)  For the record, it's my favorite Floyd album too.

I'll keep your advice at heart for the time being and await more responses - see if there's a concensus.

Whoever Controls Your Eyeballs Rules The World
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 10:27
Don't know why you would want to replace your vinyl but I would go with the Toshiba EMI remaster. I'm no expert but I've got a few of those. Or even the other two Japaneese remasters. But they might be a little more pricey. Animals is my favourite Floyd album BTW.
Makntak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 09:40
I'm in the process of gradually replacing all of my vinyl with CDs and I've been looking at the various versions of 'Animals' that have been released since 1977.

What's the rumpus? From these versions, which do people think is the best remaster?

• 1985 - CBS/Sony Group / 32DP 360 / Japanese First Pressing
  • 1990 - CBS/Sony Group / CSCS 6042 / Japanese Pressing
  • 1992 - Harvest / CDP 7 46128 2 / UK Release (Doug Sax Remaster)
  • 1994 - EMI / CDP 7243 8 29748 2 6 / Digital Remaster
  • 1994 - Harvest / CDP 7 46128 2 / Dutch Release - Remastered
  • 1997 - Columbia Records / CK 68521 / US Rls. / 20th Anni. Ed. / James Guthrie
  • 2001 - Toshiba/EMI / TOCP-65741 / Japan Mini-LP Remaster

I fancy the James Guthrie or Doug Sax remasters may be the ones to think about, but I've heard some great Japanese miniCD remasters of the Yes catalogue so I don't want to write them off either.  Actually, outside of the original pressing I have no idea, which is why I ask Tongue

Edited by Makntak - October 04 2010 at 09:41

Whoever Controls Your Eyeballs Rules The World
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12