Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStarcastle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 21:51
I have fond memories of hearing them on Beaker Street radio in the '70's - Lady of the Lake specifically. So about 10 years ago I got the CD for nostalgia's sake, and was surprised at how good it was. A lot like Yes without Jon Anderson. Kinda like now.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2013 at 02:16
Starcastle was like a bonus Yes album.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2013 at 09:59
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I'm trying to find out if any archived Starcastle material is going to be released, so I'll post it when I find out. 

Meanwhile, please watch this stunning tribute for Gary Strater, who passed away while the band was recording their final CD.  I find it hard to believe that the vocalist is Terry Luttrell, he sounds just like Jon Anderson to me!  Terry was good, but not that good....!

I was curious about the vocalist in that clip, so I emailed Mark Rubel, engineer for Starcastle and owner/operator of a recording studio in Champaign, Illinois USA.  He wrote back as follows:

***Charles Hi!

Everything is going very well here, some amazing changes on the horizon, all for the good.

That’s from that last Starcastle CD we did, and it’s Al Lewis singing.  He’s really great, and a truly nice person as well- he travels the world as the drum tech for Yanni and for Chris Isaak, plus he’s a really good drummer himself.  It is too bad about Starcastle.  There was a possibility of a reunion, but it will not happen now.

I hope that everything is wonderful with you.

All the best, and thank you.

Cheers!

-MR

Mark Rubel
Pogo Studio
35 Taylor St.
Champaign, IL 61820
Beckett54 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2013 at 10:56
Actually, there is quite a bit of unreleased material that we recorded in California of shows, rehearsals and some studio demos. I have been compiling and working on cleaning these recordings up for this archive release as time permits but have been hugely distracted by other issues, which are currently drawing to a conclusion. A statement will be released soon explaining what has gone on for the last few years regarding Starcastle which will clarify the situation. I am also in discussions with the other  members of  the California version of Starcastle who wrote the bulk of the music on Song of Times,  about supporting this archive release with a few "mini" tours, to include  a couple of surprise guests. Stay tuned.
Bruce Botts
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 00:32
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Starcastle was like a bonus Yes album.

Indeed, very much like Triumvirat filled a void during ELP's mid-70s layoff, Starcastle did the same for Yes fans during almost the same period. I was lucky to have a local station that played it regularly, esp. Lady of the Lake. The Yes comparisons were inevitable, given the Anderson-like vocals, but it still stood out distinctively. The 2nd album, not quite so much, tho it has its moments, esp. Fountains. I've never heard Citadel, but apparently I haven't missed much. Real to Reel was just *meh* though When the Sun Shines at Midnight was of some interest. And yeah, the cover was a Love Beach-style embarrassment.
Beckett54 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 08:18
Regarding the cover, Gary told me the story behind that. If you look closely at the photo on the back you can see that Gary's head was superimposed (pre Photoshop days) on someone else's body. The band was already in bad shape internally and from outside pressures. Sometimes what gets released has no relation to what was written. Bad production, editing etc. can take a good song and make it better or completely ruin it. 
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 13:39
Back in the 70's me and my Yes friends went gonzo over the 1st Starcastle album.  Definitely worth having in the collection, "Lady of the Lake" is a great opener.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 13:56
Originally posted by Beckett54 Beckett54 wrote:

Regarding the cover, Gary told me the story behind that. If you look closely at the photo on the back you can see that Gary's head was superimposed (pre Photoshop days) on someone else's body. The band was already in bad shape internally and from outside pressures. Sometimes what gets released has no relation to what was written. Bad production, editing etc. can take a good song and make it better or completely ruin it. 

It's nice to have you contribute, Bruce!  Gary Strater was one of the masters of the Rickenbacker bass....up there with Chris Squire and Ray Bennett! 

We are looking forward to hearing any archived Starcastle material you can release, we'll watch for more comments. 

Cheers, Chuck (friend of the band Starcastle, RIP Gary)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 15:19
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

Indeed, very much like Triumvirat filled a void during ELP's mid-70s layoff, Starcastle did the same for Yes fans during almost the same period.

Yes was not inactive during that time. Starcastle's first album, while competent, had too much of a "wannabe" flavor that prevents me from liking it. Jurgen Fritz's synth playing in Triumvirat distanced itself admirably from Keith Emerson's and they recorded some stuff that was quite unique.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 23:55
^ I never said Yes was inactive during that period. They continued touring and recording solo albums. My point was that, since there was no new product from either Yes or ELP during almost the same period (1974 to 1977), fans gravitated toward bands that had a similar feel. Otherwise Starcastle and Triumvirat may not have sold as many albums as they did. Obviously they filled the aforementioned void better for some than others.    
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 10:59

^ I never said Yes was inactive during that period. They continued touring and recording solo albums. My point was that, since there was no new product from either Yes or ELP during almost the same period (1974 to 1977), fans gravitated toward bands that had a similar feel. Otherwise Starcastle and Triumvirat may not have sold as many albums as they did. Obviously they filled the aforementioned void better for some than others.    

I knew the band, as I went to college in the town where Starcastle formed and evolved (Champaign, IL).  

They were trying to develop an American twist to the Yes/ELP symphonic sound, and they succeeded more often than not.   If you listen to "Lady of the Lake," you hear them "swing" at the end.  The song was huge on the University of Illinois radio, I remember them playing it several times a day back then.

Keyboardist Herb Schildt was a master on the Hammond organ, and his characterizations were more along the line of Emerson than Wakeman.  

They were also a fantastic cover band (as were Yes), playing covers by Elton John, the Rolling Stones etc.  

Like many bands, their history was impacted by tragedy (equipment truck crashed before first LP was issued, and guitarist Steve Hagler suffered a broken back).  
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 02:50

^ I never said Yes was inactive during that period. They continued touring and recording solo albums. My point was that, since there was no new product from either Yes or ELP during almost the same period (1974 to 1977), fans gravitated toward bands that had a similar feel.

I see where you're coming from, but Yes did issue two original albums in that time period: Relayer (1974) and Going For The One (1977). I concur there was a four-year-long wait for new music from ELP and then fans got the hit-and-miss affair of the Works volumes and a banana peel called Love Beach.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2013 at 20:59
Having saw this thread pop up a few days ago and knowing that I had I have been putting off getting one of their albums for over, well many years, and also never listened to them before.  I got the album "Fountains of Light" today and listened to it a couple of times.  I am quite delighted and really like it!

It is pretty darn good and I really don't care about the comparisons.  Thumbs Up
rodak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 13:40
Has anyone ever noticed that both "ELP" and "Yes" have three letters, while both "Triumvirat" and "Starcastle" have 10 letters?  Coincidence?  nahhhhhh.

I like all four, and have recently re-discovered Starcastle.  I was previously only familiar with "Fountains of Light", but just bought the first album, and have been enjoying it, though I agree with most, that "Fountains" is much better.  I've not heard "Citadel", except for "Shine on Brightly", which I like a lot.  

I have noted, however, that while their musicianship is excellent, I don't think the songwriting is comparable to Yes.  They have their moments, but overall, Yes is more consistently listenable and memorable, imho.  Still, for diehard prog rock and Yes fans, Starcastle is a worthy addition to the collection.  I saw them perform in 1976, opening for Boston, at "The Warehouse" in New Orleans, where the acoustics are way better than most large arenas.  A most excellent concert, indeed!

I don't remember a lot about Triumvirat, except that I liked them almost as much as ELP.  I need to go ahead and get 
"Illusions" or "Spartacus" and re-discover them as well.
Lord Jagged View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2013 at 09:40
Yes influenced they were - but very enjoyable nonetheless. I look forward to more archival releases.
Dead Souls In The Rear View Mirror Hitch A Ride For A While..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12