Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedold USA Marillion release dates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: old USA Marillion release dates
    Posted: October 11 2010 at 13:36

Here are some release dates of the original Marillion albums in the USA. These are courtesy of a friend who was cleaning out some unusued offices in the Capitol Tower building in Los Angeles recently, and came across some old press releases (unfortunately, he was forced to throw them away, but not before writing down some of the information). Hope this will fill the gaps in the bands discography!

1. Script for a Jesters Tear-released 5/16/83 (remember, USA only)
  2. Fugazi-released 5/14/84
  3. Misplaced Childhood-released 7/29/85
  4. Brief Encounter (12" US EP)-released 2/24/86
  5. Clutching At Straws-released 6/22/87 (same day as UK release)
  6. The Thieving Magpie-released 1/23/89
  7. Seasons End-released 10/23/89
  8. Holidays In Eden-released 2/25/92 (note-Capitol USA dropped Marillion from their artist roster in April of 91, 2 months before HIE was released elsewhere. Ironically, when Marillion signed with IRS here in Jan. of '92, IRS releases were manufactured and distributed by CEMA, Capitol's M&D arm! This continued until IRS folded as a label in 1996.)
  9. Six Of One, Half Dozen Of The Other-released 7/13/92 (this compilation is a mirror image of 'A Singles Collection 1982-1992', which was released a month prior overseas.)
  10. Brave-released 2/8/94 (a day later than the rest of the world)
  11. Afraid of Sunlight-released 7/4/95 (a week later than the rest of the world)         

That's it for the Capitol albums...now, the singles.

1. "Kayleigh"/"Heart of Lothian"-Capitol B-5493 -released 8/26/85. This made it to #74 on the Billboard Hot 100 (9/28-10/5/85), and also reached #13 on MTV's Top 20 Video Countdown at the same time. (I had that on VHS. Also, a friend swore he saw "He Knows You Know" on MTV in May of '83 one time. I saw the "Assassing" video on USA's 'Night Flight' program in June of '84 in the New Artist segment along with Madonna(!).

2. "Lavender"/"Freaks"-Capitol B-5521-released 10/14/85. This didn't even reach the Hot 100 (#106). I found and bought this single at the time.(Should have kept it-it's the rarest US Marillion single)

3. "Lady Nina"/"Heart of Lothian" (again!)-Capitol B-5561-released 3/3/86. This barely made the Hot 100 (#98 on 3/21/86). This was released with a terrible looking picture sleeve ('Kayleigh' had a PS too, but that copied the UK sleeve), and the video was not so good either. (Again,I had that vid on VHS off MTV; probably the only time they showed it.) 

I have no info that any single from "Clutching At Straws" was released in the US; however,I vividly remember seeing the video for "Incommunicado" on MTV the day 'CAS' was released.(Again, probably the only time they showed it.) I've heard that "Sugar Mice" was almost released as a US single (promos exist), but Capitol canceled the release due to low radio interest.

The last Capitol Marillion single was "Hooks In You". This was released commercially as a 3 track cassette single only (4JM-44499-released 10/30/89.) Again, this did not chart at all, but I did find this at a Musicland in Chicago!  The 3 tracks mirrored the UK CD single.
Capitol also released this as a 7" promo 45 and a 1 track promo CD single.(They did the same promos for "Uninvited Guest", but no commercial release.)

Well, that's everything I was able to obtain. Please e-mail me if you have any questions or additional info (or finds)! Thanks for reading.

Rich Wilke  ([email protected]
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 13:37
Do we need to publish the US release dates? This is an open question.

I don't see how I can use this information.

Edited by Snow Dog - October 11 2010 at 13:49
richwilke45 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 16:44
I placed this info (which, btw, was incredibly hard to get) for the benefit of any collectors that would like to use this info. Trainspotters included. Go back to your Rush,dude!
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 17:05
Slow down... No need to be so harsh.

Snow Dog's question is legitimate - we normally don't publish this level of detail on the site. The fact that you post it here gives the impression you want the Errors & Omissions team to do something with it.

The effort is appreciated, it's just not clear if and what we can do with it on this site.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply