Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Captain Beyond

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote finjuanican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Captain Beyond
    Posted: October 17 2010 at 11:01
I just joined this forum, and was extremely suprised that there were none posts (or at least i couldn't find one) of this band. Is it just because it's not prog enough or is it too underground?:D. Anyway, its genre is something that might be called progressive hardrock. Opinions?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iUbry_HkFQ&feature=related
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 12:49
It's because the "heavy prog" fans only seems to listen to Rush.

I'm a fan of Captain Beyond
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lozlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 14:07
Captain Beyond are great.  I enjoy their debut, and I'm absolutely nuts over Sufficiently Breathless (Confession: I'll even toss on Dawn Explosion once in a while, if I'm in a silly mood).  One of the more ill-fated supergroups.  They should definitely be more well known. Unhappy
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote zappaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 18:33
There's undoubtedly some older threads about them.

Captain Beyond is the very definition of a lost classic.

BRUTAL.
finjuanican View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Quote finjuanican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 11:53
Originally posted by Lozlan

Captain Beyond are great.  I enjoy their debut, and I'm absolutely nuts over Sufficiently Breathless (Confession: I'll even toss on Dawn Explosion once in a while, if I'm in a silly mood).  One of the more ill-fated supergroups.  They should definitely be more well known. Unhappy

I myself love the alboums sufficiently breathless and captain beyond (hard to say which one is better, they're just too different for that). The music on dawn explosion would be rather good, but I just cannot stop hating Willy Dafferns voice Confused
Ian Stuart View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian Stuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 20:39
I haven't actually looked "Captain Beyond" up in the PA archives so I don't know if they are considered "Prog" here - but I too am most fond of them.  I discovered them as they came out on the original vinyl and gobbled up their first two albums as soon as I could.  I too often think of them as a perfect example of "obscure"!

Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ronnie Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 22:34
I saw Captain Beyond open for Golden Earring. I thought they were better than the headliner.
btw - another early 70's band I don't see much around here is Jade Warrior.  Some of their better stuff sounds like Wetton-era King Crimson. 
 Post Reply Post Reply