Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBelgian Chamber Prog scene

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: Which is your fave (or most influential)?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [12.00%]
4 [8.00%]
3 [6.00%]
23 [46.00%]
4 [8.00%]
1 [2.00%]
1 [2.00%]
1 [2.00%]
3 [6.00%]
1 [2.00%]
1 [2.00%]
1 [2.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 12:09
Must be awesome to see Univers Zero live, I love Heresie 

Haven't heard any of the other bands though I'm afraid

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 06:36

You will be able to see them live in your living room soon as there is a DVD coming out soon

Live in Paris for the Tritonales

Should be very close to the CD and the show I saw

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Violenza View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 07:04

I know and love Present, Univers Zero, Aksak Maboul, and X-Legged Sally. I suppose I will look into the others too.

...and Univers Zero is my favourite.

Edited by Violenza
Agemo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 10:59

I like the Belgian band D.A.A.U. a lot, especially "We need new animals". Live they are even better.

wooty View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 16:43
Sean, thanks to your reviews, I just picked up the cd by Pazop and it is fantastic. looking forward to more. Do you have a website like James Unger's that I can bookmark?
"We turn and turn in the animal belly, the mineral belly, the belly of time. To find the way out: the poem."
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 03:51

Originally posted by wooty wooty wrote:

Sean, thanks to your reviews, I just picked up the cd by Pazop and it is fantastic. looking forward to more. Do you have a website like James Unger's that I can bookmark?

No I do not (but i must say I do not have the time for that)

But I also have James Unger's site bookmarked

He is very eclectic in his taste but one of the things that does not seem to be his cup of tea is the tougher to grasp RIO or Avant-prog

He reviewed the Placebo record I sent him, but he never said a single word of Pazop, that I sent along that day too

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 05:57

Can Anybody help me with Kandahar and Tideline....

I cannot seem to find much on these guys

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 05:36

Sean, I decided to resurrect this thread from the depths of Limbo, and also ask you a queation:

I know Un Peu De L'âme Des Bandits by Aksak Maboul and I love it but how is their first one Onze Danses Pour Combattre La Migraine?

Another question:

I don't know HARDSCORE but I read the (few) reviews of their albums (even by a certain  Hugues Chantraine, which sounds alot like tour name ) and it sounds interesting. What do you recommend me to listen to first? Is it worth tracking down?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 07:30
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Sean, I decided to resurrect this thread from the depths of Limbo, and also ask you a queation:

I know Un Peu De L'âme Des Bandits by Aksak Maboul and I love it but how is their first one Onze Danses Pour Combattre La Migraine?

Another question:

I don't know HARDSCORE but I read the (few) reviews of their albums (even by a certain  Hugues Chantraine, which sounds alot like tour name ) and it sounds interesting. What do you recommend me to listen to first? Is it worth tracking down?

Aksak Maboul 's debut album is a rather more diffcult IMHO, and is not for playing to your guest unless your mother-in-law is over

These guys divided into two faction one being called Les Tueurs De La Lune De Miel and on the other side The Honeymoon Killers! I have not heard either nor have I even tried to so far

As for Hardscore, I heard there is a brand new album out, but know nothing about it. I only heard the second one which , if memory serves, sounds like Zappa is jumping bones Kate Bush

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 09:56

I was going through Belgian bands labeled under RIO and found those three:

FINNEGANS WAKE

RECREATION

DANIEL* SCHELL & KARO

All of their albums have only one review, and you get one guess by who?

So Mr. Chantraine, where should I start?

According to your reviews I thought I'd begin with Yellow by FINNEGANS WAKE (as I like to go chronoligically). Now all I need to do is find it...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 11:01

Finnegans Wake: my fave is 4th (a double Cd). Yellow is badly produced but very Canterbury-esque. Henry Krutzen has been around since the early 80's and has a few album that can be of interest to progheads. Syn-phonic should still have all four. I never heard Pictures

Schell and Karo: My fave is Blwch - avoid the third one where Plouvier gets replacedby Manderlier: the synth sounds choices are very debatable on this last album. might just be tricky to find, though

Speaking of Schell , the last Cos album has been re-issued: Passiones , a concept album about the Spanish civil war - very Belew crimson sounding. Viva Boma has just recived a new re-issue with Musea also . All these can be found at Greg Walker

Recreation : both albums on one Cd >> great deal. But tracks listing are screwed up for the real order of tracks check in the PA page.

http://synphonic.8m.com/index.htm

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 14:21

OK then, I'll go for Finnegans Wake 4th and Recreation combined release. And maybe some Cos, starting with your recommendation - Viva Boma

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 14:49
*Micky feels onset of inferiority complex coming on hahahhaha*

then again.. that's why I love it here.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 15:09

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Throw away this inferiority complex and pick your band. I am also not too familiar with this scene, that is why I bother people like Sean, Erik, Andrew, Jody Mike etc. to give me their recommendations. In this thread I think you'll find more than a handful of good suggestions.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 16:06

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Throw away this inferiority complex and pick your band. I am also not too familiar with this scene, that is why I bother people like Sean, Erik, Andrew, Jody Mike etc. to give me their recommendations. In this thread I think you'll find more than a handful of good suggestions.

YES SIR!!! hahahah.... I'll put one of these on my next order... question is... which one
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 16:13

Well, assuming you like this particular genre of prog (meaning RIO and belgian Chamber prog as Sean puts it) I would suggest to start with either:

Univers Zero - Heatwave, Heresie

X-Legged Sally - The Land Of The Giant Dwarfs

The following is not Belgian but somewhat similar or in the same camp:

Thinking Plague - In Extremis, A History of Madness

Miriodor - Jongleries Elastiques , Mekano

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 16:21
I'm there.... haven't been put off by any RiO I've heard  (a devout Prog fan I am hahaha) so I'll order Heatwave this week.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 00:07

Wo, you sure are determined, Micky, way to go.

I need to add a few UZ albums to my collection as well. And some others from the above list, which I usually find in the two (real) shops I sometimes visit. THe others I'll leave for online purchase.

Edited by avestin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 03:43

OK then, I'll go for Finnegans Wake 4th and Recreation combined release. And maybe some Cos, starting with your recommendation - Viva Boma

Actually I rewrote the reviews of Cos's firsttwo albums, because they were highly unsatisfactory to me

So here goes the first one

COS Postaeolian Train Robbery
Review (Permanent link) by Hugues Chantraine @ 8:06:15 AM EST, 9/6/2004

SPECIAL COLLABORATION

4 stars  —  4,5 stars Really!!!

Cos came to be from the ashes of Classroom which had never released an album but they had recorded a few tracks (they are presented as bonus tracks to the first Cos album. Led by Daniel Schell and incorporating Charles Loos and especially angel-voiced Pascale Son, this group will release a bunch of absolute little wonders that every proghead must hear, even more so if you are into Canterbury music.

Right from the opening title track, with Cos introducing themselves to you with all the fresh weirdness that only Belgian groups can, and Son’s great wind instruments taking over right after it, you know you are in for a real treat. And Plunge you in their world, they do, but I must warn you that there might not be a way out, not that you would ever want to exit this maze after getting trapped into it. Yes, fellow progheads, I said trapped!! Because Cos and I will leave you no chance to escape their kingdom of pure musical exhilaration. Oh, I will take no great part in this feat, but I will bait you enough with this review, that the only thing you will have to do is actually listen to the album and Cos will do the rest themselves. Hey Daniell don’t forget the envelope with the unmarked used bills ;-) I just wish L!!!

Cocalnut is a slow developer but behind Pascale Son’s moanings (and then superb scattings) the group is building a solid foundation with Loos’s piano taking the spotlight from the background, and Schell pulling an excellent solo, but this is Son’s moments. Her ability to use her voice as an instrument is simply astounding ranging from Wyatt to Kate Bush to operatic influences or even more like Barb Gaskin or Amanda Parsons in National Health (but preceding them by three or four years). Solo Vander-like drumming starts the third track, but this is only a starter to Ratledge-like pianos and a solid bass line are one the menu. Son’s scatting is again at the centre of the group’s success.

The funkier and jazzy Populi is a welcome interlude being a bit upbeat and tighter. Halucal is a short instrumental (even Pascale’s voice needs a rest although she contributes winds) and is build on the Fender Rhodes. Coloc is a great closer with Loos in a lenghty solo, slowly being joined by a fuzzy bass (Hugh Hopper is not far) and then Son’s superb voice meandering between clouds, sun and lightning and again Loos’s fuzzy organs (sometimes Caravan meeting Mahavishnu or even the mystic Caravanserai) >>>> Awesome AND grandiose!!!!

Classroom’s demo tracks included as bonus tracks are just as worthy as the album and make this record an excellent value. The main difference (outside a very different line-up and a very present viraphone) is that Pascale vocals have actually lyrics, and her singing-words is just as impressive as her scatting. La Partie D’Echecs is hilarious as she tells us that the white pawn of the chess game is lifting her dress and the vile bishop slayed her, the whole thing sung at such a speed that one would’ve wondered if their Lp was not on 45 RPM (had this been ever released at the time of course). There are also some subtle Zeuhl influences in their music as they shared (as Classroom) stages with Placebo, Univers Zero, Zao and Magma. Sur Deux is a great instrumental concentrating on vibes and guitars. Achille is a rather lenghty but impressive exercise for Pascale and the vibes to make love to each other.

Musea made a great job of reconstructing the group’s history and with this album hold one of their greater achievements, the preservation of Cos’s early works. This is truly of one those albums that defines Belgian prog and it should belong in everyone’s collection alongside Hatfield.

Having relistened to both ambums, I have a slight tendency towards the debut, but both are outstanding

Links to Recreation and Placebo are outlined in the new reviews.

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 11:44

I have nine albums by Univers Zero, one by Daniel Denis - "Sirius and the ghost", one by Cos "Postaeollian train robbery" and one by Cro-Magnon - "Bull ?" 1997.

My favorite is one by Cro-Magnon.

Edited by eugene
carefulwiththataxe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>