Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dasputnik & This is Sirius – Lahti 30th Sep 2010
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDasputnik & This is Sirius – Lahti 30th Sep 2010

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dasputnik & This is Sirius – Lahti 30th Sep 2010
    Posted: February 12 2016 at 03:44

Love'em! Heart

Thanks to Eetu for your sharing. 
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 11:33

I was privileged to familiarize myself with the psychedelic underground music activity at the city of Lahti, locating ca. hundred kilometres north from the Finnish capital city. The venue was legendary restaurant Torvi, famous from many underground concerts and streetwise atmosphere, and groups for the night were This is Sirius and Dasputnik.

The local space rock orchestra This is Sirius kicked out the first jams bit after 23 o’clock. The impact of their minimal, brutal and powerful stoner rock oriented sound was enriched with both cosmic synth soundscapes and brutal vocals. The singing varied from aggressive recitings to even yet more aggressive shouting, underlining their streetwise and agnostic approach. Lyrics focused describing the collapse of western welfare civilization, and the misery of those who are either smashed to the rubbles or surviving and being forced to continue drinking. One association I got from their music was going for the stoner riffs with space rock leanings after four week’s boozing period, and succeeding. Though some of the songs were quite long and had some changes in tempo rhythms, the steady pulse created strong potential for dance floor confusion, most welcomed and executed by the enthusiastic bar audience. I also contemplated the lures of stoner rock's rhythm idioms whilst observing all this, its vast pool of dormant variation capabilities within the rhythm bars, yearning to be blasted out by skilful musicians, and thus redeemed as ultimate grooving vibrations. I have understood there are no published commercial releases for the band, but there is much music found free from their MySpace pages. Possibly this could be one manifestation against commercial society, anyhow on basis of this concert I would recommend this Finnish brutal underground space rock certainly as a wonderful band.

Following group Dasputnik had slightly more complex variety of musical content in their cosmic hippie space rock, focusing more to the inner core of mind than basic corporal stimulation trough predictable rhythmic or melodic structures. The melodies and rhythms were quite sensual and euphoric, but the vivid flow of new rhythms and themes came with quite rapid pace, though excluding some longer repetitive noodling sequences. In addition of few Cyborg-effected vocal lines the band’s music is totally instrumental, often kept stable by the guitar riffs, which give room to both melodic saxophone themes and wild fill up rolling for the drums. It was also fun to observe the situations with the sax player, as she possessed many kinds of percussions, neat tea set and everything in a selection, from which she could meditate most proper instruments for the current situation on the stage. The dance floor moshers evidently liked this band’s more diverse aural stimulation also, but luckily refrained from similar stunts as with the earlier orchestra, like smashing one’s head voluntarily to a lowered roof corner as for an example. Applauses were plentiful as deserved, and it is rejoiceful to experience progressive rock music with much sonic information, but which yet evades the traditional symphonic rock mannerisms and escapes to the underground realms of space rock tones and spontaneous self-expressionism. The set had at least the two first tracks from their latest studio album, and also some new material I understood will be available for further listening on their next upcoming album. This group originating from city of Turku were having a province county tour, and headed from Lahti to Mikkeli for another spaced out concert. Though both humppa and waltz are great, it is even better to have larger diversity of music styles been performed in the smaller towns also.

For both bands the volume levels and sounds were very good, allowing to hear all instruments well. Also the price was fair, for 4€ with a voluntarily cloakroom tip one had a really stimulating Wednesday night, certainly conquering alternative of sleeping at home. More of this, please.

Edit: Updated the pic

Edited by Eetu Pellonpaa - May 12 2017 at 05:43
 Post Reply Post Reply