Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Listen to the music of today #4 The Electric Epic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedListen to the music of today #4 The Electric Epic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Listen to the music of today #4 The Electric Epic
    Posted: November 03 2010 at 19:39
This is the third continuation of the #1 thread where I wrote

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

It seems to me that there is a certain encouraging amount of interest for new music and albums of 2010 on PA, but people don't follow recommendations unless they come with "all inclusive". I have decided to start a series of recommendation threads for 2010 albums, in which I promote albums that can be fully streamed for FREE on the internet, thus making the sampling as easy and accessible as possible for those interested. There's no excuse for not checking these releases out now!

This time the band is GUILLAUME PERRET & THE ELECTRIC EPIC (which I had to shorten for the thread title). They're a new band and therefore quite obscure yet (hopefully this can help a bit). The music they play is an avantgarde/zeuhl flavoured jazz-rock, with lead sax, weird effects and loops, and a fabulous rhythm section. It was actually the name of Philippe Bussonnet, who is also the current bassist of Magma, that drew me to checking out this band. Thanks are due to SaltyJon for bringing it up (although his review for their album has somehow disappeared from PA Wink).

The first album can be fully and freely streamed on bandcamp HERE. It's brilliant, don't hesitate. Highly recommened especially to fans of Magma and One Shot, but not only.

Here you can find it on PA:

not rated
Guillaume Perret & the Electric Epic

It's a shame it hasn't got any reviews yet...

Edited by harmonium.ro - November 03 2010 at 19:47
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2010 at 14:52
Just saw this thread.
I want to second this excellent recommendation, a stunning album, heavy, odd, trippy, creative in its own way.

Do check it out, it's free for listening on Bandcamp.

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2010 at 15:08
Thanks Assaf. Definitely an album that I'd see high in the 2010 chart... And yet it still hasn't got any ratings. 
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 14:35
Bump.

Really worth getting this album, so here are two videos:

Evolutionary Sleeper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 14:39
thanks for posting this guys, I'm sold just a couple moments into the first video. I'm going to check this one out. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 20:23
Bump.
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 08:16
Sounds HUGE! 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 10:51
They're a monster, yes. I saw them live and I hope to write down a sort of review sometime. Also, they said the CD will be out this autumn, I am still looking forward to that :|
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2010 at 07:32
Anyone else heard this?
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2010 at 08:02
I listened to the album a few times, but not enough to give it a proper review yet. I like it, very Zeuhl sounding fusion.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2010 at 08:04
I knew I could count on you Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 03:31
First reviews! Big smile

Guillaume Perret & the Electric Epic Jazz Rock/Fusion

Review by snobb
Special Collaborator ZART & JR/F Team

4 stars Guillaume Perret's debut album is really important event on French prog fusion scene. Professional sax player with strong jazz background, he collaborates on this album with Magma's veteran bassist Philippe Bussonnet. Other collaborator guitarist Jim Grandcamp played with Eric Serra and Jannick Top between others.

Music there on this album is not zeuhl, but very energetic and quite dark and heavy jazz fusion, but with pure jazz rock roots. Distorted bass in combination with fast and very complex drums builds quite zeulish, dark atmosphere, and guitar adds tension and nerve in very rocking manner. At the same time, sax is more free-jazzy, even avant sounding in moments.

There are no mellow tunes (happily) and relaxed romantic moments (I am so happy!) on this album at all. Mid- to fast tempo instrumentals, very precisely played, but far not too much polished, with tension and nerves, sharp sounds and complex improvs.Not very usual sound for French fusion, and possibly even more attractive because of that!

Guillaume Perret & the Electric Epic Jazz Rock/Fusion

Review by zravkapt
Prog Reviewer

3 stars This is some really good modern fusion, although I admit I haven't heard a lot of post-70s fusion. This features bassist Philippe Bussonet who played with Magma. There is a little bit of a Zeuhl influence here, and not just because of the bass. The electric sax work of Guillaume Perret is great. Some of the songs here were recorded in concert judging by the crowd applause.

"Massacra" starts with crowd noises, but this is not a live song. The crowd is sampled from some rally or something. There are some good samples and effects which add to the song. At first this song sounds more metal than fusion. "Circe" builds up in the last half with some great Zeuhl-like scat singing. "Brutalum Voluptuous" is more of a traditional jazz song. Not very fusion-y but still good. I like the echoed sax here. "Louop" has a cool part with just sax and drums. The electric guitar sounds more like an electric piano in this song. Nifty electronic sounds near the end. The album ends with the shortest song, "Troglodyte Polyglotte Anthropomorphique". A jazz-funk-ish workout. The song fades out just as a guitar solo starts; I would have liked to hear the rest.

This is definately a grower, I like it the more I hear it. The musicianship is tight and the sound good. These guys show a lot of promise. I can see G.P. & E.E. making a 100% studio album better than this. I would give this a 3.5 but can't bring myself to give it 4 stars. My ratings are fairly conservative, so a 3 star rating from me means it's a good album and should be heard; just not something you should go out your way to have in your collection. Recommended to fans of modern fusion.

Clap

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 10:46
Don't know how on earth I missed this thread, but hell yeah.  Grabbing this now.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 12:13
I hope you like it, you didn't come back to comment after getting Combat Astronomy - which I assume means you didn't like it much. Tongue
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 12:24
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I hope you like it, you didn't come back to comment after getting Combat Astronomy - which I assume means you didn't like it much. Tongue

I didn't comment because I haven't listened to it yet.  Embarrassed

I've got a lot of ground to cover with the flood of new releases I've just obtained.  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply