Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavourite Python?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Who is your favourite member of Monty Python?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [11.11%]
12 [26.67%]
3 [6.67%]
6 [13.33%]
4 [8.89%]
8 [17.78%]
7 [15.56%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 19:50
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

But I don't like spam.......LOL

A factoid you may not know, Spam sushi is popular in Hawaii.  One of the weirder things I have heard of in my life.
Now that I can definitely believe! NZ ain't far from hawaii ( as in flying) and we have similar type concoctions hereSmile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 11:13
Poor Terry Jones.  He seems forever doomed to being the least regarded Python.  I haven't the faintest idea why this is the case: the man is one of the funniest human beings to ever walk the earth.  Admittedly, he doesn't really have the poise/swagger of Cleese or Chapman; I blame it on his comparatively short stature and his preference for gratuitous nudity and drag.  I do think that, more than any of the others, he is completely willing to commit to humiliating roles, which is why I adore him.  No shame, no dignity spared.

That being ranted, I had to vote for Chapman.
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 12:33
Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

Poor Terry Jones.  He seems forever doomed to being the least regarded Python.  I haven't the faintest idea why this is the case: the man is one of the funniest human beings to ever walk the earth.  Admittedly, he doesn't really have the poise/swagger of Cleese or Chapman; I blame it on his comparatively short stature and his preference for gratuitous nudity and drag.  I do think that, more than any of the others, he is completely willing to commit to humiliating roles, which is why I adore him.  No shame, no dignity spared.

I just think it takes more time to appreciate Jones. He doesn't jump out at you with the immediacy of Idle and Cleese. The more Python I watch, the closer he moves to the top of my list.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2010 at 03:02
John Cleese kicks ass!
grado View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 01:53
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

The cheeky one -- Ilde!

Palin and Cleese are close ties for second.
I like Palin too.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 10:54
I missed this one.

All of them are ( were ) geniuses.
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2011 at 14:17
As for myself Palin is a personal favorite with the other chaps nearly alongside. I just think Palin is a riot though.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2011 at 15:32
Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

You gotta love Jones when he plays a sicilian mobster trying to blackmail the British Grenadier Guards Colonel played by straightman Chapman . Or The Bishop. Hillarious.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2011 at 16:00
Hi,

I don't think that Monty Python, would have made it were it not for the visuals, and that work mostly came from Terry Gilliam and then Terry Jones, both of whom conspired to also work the direction on their scripts ... which helped define their work a lot more.

I remember once, an interview with Spike Milligan, and he was talking about the Goons and how it all appeared 10 years later ... and he said that in the radio days, we had to do it in your mind. In the TV days, they show it to you, and He didn't think it was as funny, which I have to admit I agreed and still do. The best part of any MP for me, is the one that is very surrealistic and stays there, and that is usually the parts that have the cartoons or the multi media stuff.

That is not to say that the Parrot bit is not funny, I don't think it is, but if there was no dialogue and it was a silent film, I DO think it would be funnier! ... but many of the bits are not that great, but they are much more fun to watch then they are to listen to.  And if you had the LP's you will know what I mean ... when you don't see the visuals, some of this stuff is not as funny!

I think that the films forced them to get better and more centered on better material, and I think they improved. But as that went on, they also went apart more and more.

I like the albums, but I have to tell you that the movies are more fun for me, and in the end, Terry Gilliam is my numero uno, because him and I share the same birthday, madness and insanity ... that no one understands and constantly tell us that we're wrong! ... see, Dean, I told you I'm not the only one! ... and Terry's films make unbelievably good sense for me, even in an internal or psychic level ... it is so clear as to what he is trying to do sometimes that it is scary! And to me, it's so obvious!

I want him to do a movie, and I am his alter ego ... but I think his dream project of the Man of La Mancha All That Moolah is what he will die for more than anything else. I don't think he wants to do anything else anymore ... when your dream is gone, you might as well die ... but Terry should take a hint from the video crowd and the special effects and tell the movie folks to get f**ked and simply create his own wierdness with all the software and computers out there and sell it ... and I bet it will be better than some cinematic bullsh*t that studios are going to screw with!

Live your dream ... what else is life worth for?

Best actor of the bunch? - Hard to not go with John Cleese
Best Musician? - Eric Idle ... and remember that he was a part, and one fo the founders of the Bonzo Dog Band! So, you know that MP was looking to add music to their "show", or possibility of a live show!
Best director? - Terry Gilliam
Best un-director? - Terry Jones, because he was trying to tell Terry that his directing was all sideways, and they wanted to go backwards!
Best intelectual? --- leaving that one to The Goons! MP intelectual? ... wow!

Edited by moshkito - March 19 2011 at 17:49
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123