Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNick Drake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 11:55
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I wonder if the prog folk team would support his inclusion under Prog Related?

Both Drake and Bunyan are more of singer-songwriter style than pure folk artistes, IMHO

Drake was not deemed rog enough to be prog-folk, but we'dvagree with him in prog-related

Vashti Bunyan.... two months ago, I could've sworn sge was in, but apparently she's not... so we'll re-discuss it soon.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 11:57
What a coincidence; I'm listening to Pink Moon right now.

I, personally, don't think Mr. Drake's music is at all prog-related, but it is quite breathtakingly brilliant in its own right, that's for sure.

rikkinadir View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 15:17
He's a great artist!! I support this suggestion!
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 15:51

Mike Akerfeldt mentions him as an influence and inspiration in many interviews.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 16:38
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

Mike Akerfeldt mentions him as an influence and inspiration in many interviews.

Right mr Karl.
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 19:24

I hope he's added. A fun fact. I bought his 3 studio albums in a record store that specializes almost strictly to progressive rock here in Argentina. So one can conclude that:

1- It's not the first time someone thinks of Nick Drake as a prog related artist.
2- Prog or not, his music seems to appeal to a big number of Proggers here in PA.

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 19:40
I thought about sugesting him for PR, but most people high up told me he would get rejected, so . . . .

there you go.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 20:13
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

One of the greatest songwriters of 20th century Nick Drake (RIP) ought to be in Prog Folk section. This suggestion would to be understood.
I enjoyed that
pretty melody and some Hammond organ sounds
PR for me if i were to make a choice
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 21:44
Why do prog people in general not except Nick Drake? Is it because of the Volkswagon commercial?Shocked He wasn't excepted too much in his own day to put a point on it. It would have been easier to get a "Dead Head" to listen to Fairport Convention than a Nick Drake recording. Many people that were considered "cool", from the hippie in-crowd, often thought Nick Drake to be "un-cool" because he was too misfit.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 03:39
No, not Prog Related. Nick Drake wasn't something like  Queen, The Who or Pete Townshend solo- I suggested him  for PR - who, although he loved to play acoustic and his solo stuff is very introspective, he was toying alot with synths, he was touring with a big following band and David Gilmoure.
Prog Folk is just perfect section for Nick Drake if you like to add him. It's unfair to put him in the section with these loud and monster bands as Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Who, etc.- It's gonna be a disservice to Nick Drake.

Edited by Svetonio - March 24 2011 at 03:42
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 04:02
^I don't think that inclusion in PR is a disservice. I support his inclusion in PA: if not in Prog Folk, then in Prog Related. Prog Related is not a subgenre like Prog Folk, Symphonic Prog or Progressive Metal, but just a collection of acts that are not deemed progressive enough by the subgenre teams. More folk-oriented bands are there (Fairport Convention, Fotheringay, Steeleye Span) as well as some hard rock acts (Black Sabbath, Metallica), but also Kate Bush, David Bowie and John Cale (who played some keyboards on Northern Sky).
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 06:33
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

I thought about sugesting him for PR, but most people high up told me he would get rejected, so . . . .

there you go.

I think Easy Livin's post here suggests that there would be chances with the Admin Team for Prog-Related. As a Special Collab you now can follow the steps for suggesting him, if you want (and let me know if you don't know the procedure for prog-related). Wink
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 07:28
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

^I don't think that inclusion in PR is a disservice. I support his inclusion in PA: if not in Prog Folk, then in Prog Related. Prog Related is not a subgenre like Prog Folk, Symphonic Prog or Progressive Metal, but just a collection of acts that are not deemed progressive enough by the subgenre teams. More folk-oriented bands are there (Fairport Convention, Fotheringay, Steeleye Span) as well as some hard rock acts (Black Sabbath, Metallica), but also Kate Bush, David Bowie and John Cale (who played some keyboards on Northern Sky).
Yes, I know that PR is not really prog.
Actually, Drake's music is basicly folk. That fact qualified him for Prog Folk, or let him to rest in peace...

BTW & OTT, I dont understand why Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span "are" Prog Related while Vlatko Stefanovski is added as Prog Folk artist! Stefanovski is an ultimate guitar player (and money maker! Wink ) who was / is playing everything except Metal and Punk. His World Music (the covers of traditional Balkan songs) is just one of a number of genres he touched as virtuoso as well. Stefanovski could be in Jazz Rock / Fusion section only. Lol, this is so clear that I don't need even to put "IMO" stamp on this post. Anyway, a few (live!) examples of that nonsense of adding Vlatko Stefanovski as Prog Folk instead of Fusion act would be nice ~

So, TBH I don't take Prog Folk Team so much seriously. Sorry!

Edited by Svetonio - March 24 2011 at 08:19
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 08:34
^If my memory doesn't cheat me, Fairport Convention had been in Prog Folk before, and probably (but I'm not sure) Steeleye Span as well. I listen to the clips of that Vlatko guy later on. But the Prog Folk policy is one of the greatest enigmas of this site Wink. Here is another Prog Folk artist, whom I deem to be fitting for the RIO/Avant Prog genre, based on this song:

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 11:49
Yes, I agreed that the song is Avant. Tim Buckley is overrated, though. Especialy in comparision with many of less popular, but much more innovative and interresting artists who did do that Alt. Country too - for example Chris Bell:

Edited by Svetonio - March 24 2011 at 11:52
FunkyM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2011 at 17:38
I'd be happy to see Nick Drake in PR. It would be a decent fit, IMO.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 10:56

Yes, I agreed that the song is Avant. Tim Buckley is overrated, though. Especialy in comparision with many of less popular, but much more innovative and interresting artists who did do that Alt. Country too - for example Chris Bell:

You have to be kidding when you say Chris Bell is more innovative then Tim Buckley! Tim Buckley was way ahead of his time and what song did Chris bell write that ever came close to the beauty of the song of the siren?
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 11:16
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

You have to be kidding when you say Chris Bell is more innovative then Tim Buckley! Tim Buckley was way ahead of his time and what song did Chris bell write that ever came close to the beauty of the song of the siren?
Clap
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 11:55
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Already posted! Ok, one more (as encore):

Edited by Svetonio - March 26 2011 at 12:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 12:30
Nick Drake (1948-1974), Tim Buckley (1947-1975), Chris Bell (1951-1978)... Do I detect a similarity here?

Anyway, Chris Bell's songs are worth a listen in their own right, but I agree with Chris S and timothy leary that he doesn't come even close to Tim Buckley when it comes to innovation, even if I am not a real Buckley fan: Speed of Sound is a good acoustic song, but no more than that; I am the Cosmos is a nice tune and I do like this one, but it is highly Beatle-esque to my ears. However, hey do not equal the beauty of Nick Drake's songs or Song to the Siren.

Vlatko Stefanovski can be placed in almost any genre. I would suggest him for PR - or fusion indeed - and add Nick Drake to PF instead Wink. The third clip is some good folk, but I would lable his rendition of Mozart's Turkish March as some jazzy kind of psych.

Edited by someone_else - March 26 2011 at 13:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12