Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInfluenced To Start Learning An Instrument

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 09:35
I've been playing piano since I was a teenager.  I'm 32 now.  But it's (mainly Ayreon) has inspired me to expand my range into keyboards and synths.  Until I listened to some of the older Ayreon albums I never knew you could do all that with a synthesiser.  Blew my mind.
Tychovski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 09:38
I was already playing recorder and clarinet when I heard my first Who album.  After that it was all about the guitar and Pete Townshend.
Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 11:22
Originally posted by Tychovski Tychovski wrote:

I was already playing recorder and clarinet when I heard my first Who album.  After that it was all about the guitar and Pete Townshend.

Did you actually ever attempt Who on those instruments?  Who are you? Toot toot toot toot toot. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 15:07
LMAO!! LOL
Tychovski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 17:51

Wow!  No I never even thought to try Smile   I wish I knew what happened to my clarinet...

Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 14:19
PF's "A Saucerful of Secrets" -> the organ and the voices made me want to write music on keys, especially for the organ. Too bad instead of the classic Hammond B3 I have this lousy Yamaha church organ.

King Crimson's "Larks' Tongues in Aspic" and "Fracture" and perhaps PF's "Wot's ... Uh the Deal" -> got me into playing the electric guitar.

PF's "Wot's ... Uh the Deal" -> got me into playing the acoustic guitar.

KC's "Islands" and Chopin's "Prelude in Em (28.4) got me into playing the acoustic piano.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 11 2012 at 14:20
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 14:28
Mike Portnoy got me to start playing drums. DON'T. LAUGH.

I had already played the oboe for like 6 years then Tongue
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 14:52
I played saxophone in the high school band, but when I saw a close friend of mine play in his punk band at a birthday party, and I saw how much the girls swooned over the guitarist/singer, I really wanted to be that guy. I got an acoustic guitar first, learned all the chords, then got a cheap electric guitar and continued my chord bashing through an amp. Still no girls. But I guess they were the real reason I started playing guitar. Who's with me?   LOL

My real inspiration as a musician (if I may be so bold as to call myself one) has mostly come from punk bands (not just the three chord and shouting variety, either. there's some pretty imaginative stuff out there), and not so much from progressive rock.  I just feel like that level of technical mastery is beyond me, and I don't have any pressing incentive to prove myself otherwise.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 15:33
Mike Giles from Kcrimson got me picking up the sticks when I was around 10, I've always loved his chops and style. Very melodic, jazzy, intense and powerful.

My mentor now is Billy Cobham (best.drumming.ever) and I try to use some of his tricks in the deathmetal band I play in now. Very effective I must say!! Cool

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 23:03
I started drums at 12, just because I always wanted to. But fairly quickly I saw that I need to know notation and more musical theory, so I decided to go with bass. Bass was supposed to be a "second instrument" but very quickly it became my main instrument. The fact that I was starting to get into prog helped inspire me to practice technique a lot. I still do practice a lot of technique, it's one of those things that make me zone out, so it's nice. So I have pretty good technique now :D
There be dragons
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 23:32
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

I was just wondering if anyone here's love of music has inspired them to play an instrument, and if so what instrument and who was your biggest influence?
it was the other way around for me, my love of playing inspired me to get deeply into music.   Biggest pro influence probably Jeff Beck or Randy Rhoads, but my first one was a buddy who could play and taught me a lot.

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2012 at 10:43
Steve Hackett was my first inspiration for learning to play guitar. Frank Zappa was my second inspiration. I always tried to probe what it would sound like to blend their styles. Very difficult, very different. I was very good at my peak and rather experimental, lots of 30 minute improvs, lots of sound experiments, lots of music theory. I never got a band together, so I went cold turkey eventually and stopped playing. I expect to pick it up again, but I'm actually looking first into effects pedals and racks. It's amazing what is available now that wasn't around in the eighties when I was playing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123