Topic ClosedIf you're younger than 18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 33>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
raeloneq View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 20:29
Im 34. I like old prog better than metal prog, but from time to time classic metal is more appealing. Maiden, Metallica, Priest, Etc... Not too much into prog metal...aside from Dream Theater and a few other bands.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 08:11
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Nope.  All proggers under 18 only like prog-metal, and all old guys only like Genesis.Wink

not true!! im 14 and Rush, Pink Floyd, and Yes are my top 3 favorite bands of all time, no questions asked. Honorable mentions to Kansas, Styx, Queen, Supertramp, King Crimson, ELP, and of course, Genesis
floflo79 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 06:57
I'm 12 and i'm listening really often to classic prog of 70's and rarely to prog metal
FenderX View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 14:50
I am 14 years old and I love prog rock like Gentle Giant, Genesis, King Crimson and this kind of stuff.
I listen to prog metal too but I like it not as much as prog rock, because it is mostly only virtuoso musicians show their skills less than really trying to get the song sound orgasmic.
snipingpanda14 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 11:01
I didn't start with prog metal. I'm only starting to listen to prog metal. I started off with ELP, King Crimson, Genesis, and Yes, and then went into more obscure artists. 
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2013 at 17:17
Originally posted by truedefiance truedefiance wrote:

I'm under 18, and prog metal is the only prog i like.  I have heard many un-metal  bands, and I do not particularly enjoy any of them.  So, I guess that makes me a stupid punk kid. 

we don't take kindly to your kind around here! :P
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
Doorer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2013 at 17:06
IM 29 and i was not that much addicted to good music when i was under 18 :(
truedefiance View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 20:01
I'm under 18, and prog metal is the only prog i like.  I have heard many un-metal  bands, and I do not particularly enjoy any of them.  So, I guess that makes me a stupid punk kid. 
Broken teeth, a shattered jaw
Ten to one, behold my God
Wicked sons of Heaven’s loss
Raise your own inverted cross

Storm the Gates of Hell-Demon Hunter

Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 18:55
Actually, Dream Theater was the band that got me into prog in the first place, and that was when I was around 19-20 (I'm 23 now). However, I'm very picky when it comes to metal, and Dream Theater and Iron Maiden are the only ones I enjoy anymore. Metal was a short phase for me. Over the past couple years I've completely shifted interests, and have gotten into the big prog bands, as well as jam bands.

I guess I don't find it surprising that the younger generation would be more interested in prog metal over prog rock. I'm actually more astounded for those of you who the opposite are true.
EchoeWho? View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 11:51
Im 21 and most of the music I listen too is jazz, mostly bebop.
If it wasn't for jazz fusion I would have never met prog. I think prog metal is a little too cliché.
tazxo888 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 09:29
I am 18+ and i make a Prog in the music now i release the song as soon as possible..when i was in 15 at that time i start the struggle to make the song which i hope very popular in the peoples....

Edited by tazxo888 - February 09 2013 at 09:24
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 21:10
OK. So I'm 21 now but I was 18 when I joined PA. The first gig that I saw was on Yes' 35th anniversary tour. I was 13 by a week or two at the time. I also saw Rush and Wishbone Ash later in that year. A girl I met on an art course in college who is 3 years younger than I confessed to being a big early Genesis fan and also Supertramp. Another guy I know, who I presume is the same age as me is a huge Floyd and Rush fan, so much so that he has his arms covered in tattoos of both bands.
The most do just want prog metal though.
"Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself" - Sartre
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 21:10
^ That's not what this thread is about. Read the OP.
JocBT View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 21:06
I'm 17, at first I started out with classic rock or prog crossover bands (like Led zeppelin, Styx, Heart) but once I heard Yes, Kansas, Genesis, it makes them all look like amateurs. I still respect what the mainstream rockers did, but it makes me laugh at how primitive they look when compared to say Yes.
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2012 at 02:40
After about 3 years on this site, I'm officially turning 18 on January 6th. Wooo!!!

What I listen to, hmm... After 3 years on this site, you learn to love every type of prog.

I suppose I'm against the 18 year-old stereotype since the most recent bands I enjoy are DT and, well, never could get into the screaming vocals of Opeth. A boundary I still can't cross. First prog band and album (first album I truly enjoyed); Genesis and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2012 at 02:04
Turned eighteen this November.
And now that I think about it, most of the metal bands I like are more fusion than metal (Animals as Leaders for example). I do like other non-jazzy metal bands, but only I'm not all that into those bands. Also generally prefer classic prog over new stuff, unless it's instrumental new prog.

Also discovering that prog bands my age group generally likes (Dream Theater, Opeth) I tend to avoid.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 11:48
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

When I was 18 and younger, I only dug classic prog, PF, KC, and Yes. Never been a fan of metal and probably never will be, although I do admire the skills and approach that some musicians possess. I just don't find their music to be mature, revolutionary, and mind-blowing.
Not even Alice in Chains (ok, I know that's not universally considered metal, but they certainly owe a lot to metal, stylistically)?  They may not be 'nuanced' or 'dynamic' but they have so much power, their music is so gripping.  And how about Pain of Salvation?  Not trying to contest your statement because it's just your (or my) opinion anyway, just throwing some names out there.
I've yet to check out what this whole Alice in Chains business is all about. I've only heard a few songs from their work. As for Pain of Salvation, ... from what I've heard, ... I'm gonna have to check out Daniel's lyrics.

How do you feel about th track HARVEST OF SOULS by IQ ?
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 20:30
Dirt, for Alice in Chains.  For Pain of Salvation...I liked Perfect Element but any of the first few albums could be a good place to start.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 14:15
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

When I was 18 and younger, I only dug classic prog, PF, KC, and Yes. Never been a fan of metal and probably never will be, although I do admire the skills and approach that some musicians possess. I just don't find their music to be mature, revolutionary, and mind-blowing.
Not even Alice in Chains (ok, I know that's not universally considered metal, but they certainly owe a lot to metal, stylistically)?  They may not be 'nuanced' or 'dynamic' but they have so much power, their music is so gripping.  And how about Pain of Salvation?  Not trying to contest your statement because it's just your (or my) opinion anyway, just throwing some names out there.
I've yet to check out what this whole Alice in Chains business is all about. I've only heard a few songs from their work. As for Pain of Salvation, ... from what I've heard, ... I'm gonna have to check out Daniel's lyrics.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 08 2012 at 14:16
Aquiring the Taste View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 01:07
I'm now retired, so I can genuinely claim to be an old fart.
I do a prog. show on my local F.M. station & my demographic is 14 to 27yr age group, which is exactly as it should be.
As people get older they become ( in most cases )more conservative, give- in to social pressures & are quick to give up independent thought for dogma. It is your generation who, in the future, will determine the future of the genre. I am confident that it is in good hands

Edited by Aquiring the Taste - December 01 2012 at 01:15
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.
    Oscar Wilde, De Profundis, 1905
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 33>