Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - If you're younger than 18
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If you're younger than 18

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>
Author
Message
rogerthat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Joined: September 03 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 5565
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 21:00
Also, it's worth noting that classic prog is a rather obscure species for us youngsters ( I am 25 but in the same boat as the kids Wink) so it's usually tough to get into prog any other way than through DT, Opeth or PT.  This must have been repeated ad nauseum on this forum, but outside prog circles, nobody actually talks of albums like SEBTP, Red or Fragile as all time rock classics, so there's no way to learn about them for us.  I was fortunate in that I read the term progressive rock for the first time in the context of Pink Floyd, so when I set out to investigate this thing, I already knew it had its origins in the 70s and was not some new development.
Back to Top
Majesty View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie


Joined: October 16 2010
Location: Mexico
Status: Offline
Points: 16
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 21:24
I'm 14 (Heck, 15 in a few days) and, I'm not gonna lie, I do very much enjoy Progressive Metal. It was actually my first approach at prog in general.

I don't ONLY listen to it though. It's been a relatively short time since I started digging prog, so my knowledge in it is rather limited. I've been listening to the other common non-prog metal bands such as Genesis, Yes and Rush though, so while Prog Metal is the one I currently enjoy the most, I'm expanding myself.
Back to Top
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
Post/Math Rock Team

Joined: April 19 2009
Location: Kansas
Status: Offline
Points: 21367
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 22:16
Originally posted by Dgregsound Dgregsound wrote:

I'm 7 and I only listen to Zeuhl
 
lol?
Back to Top
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: February 03 2007
Location: 1950s Suburbia
Status: Offline
Points: 13216
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 22:28
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

I'm surprised how many really young people we have here.Stern Smile

Surel, it's great that you love prog, but...

GET OFF THE INTERNET!!

Go out, go to a gig, have a drink, kiss a girl, do yoga, go fishing, ride a bike, climb a mountain!


Again and again!


(I should be doing it too. I'm on computer because my girlfriend is in bed, snoring badly.)Pinch




I'm 27 and on the computer at least 10 hours a day because I work at my home computer and I don't like crowds and I drink plenty at home thank you very much and I would kiss a girl but I'm married and I can't bend like I used to to do yoga of any sort and I can't fish worth a damn but I tried once and caught a leaf and I haven't owned a bike since I was 12 and the mountains are three hours away.

Also, I'm lazy.  Sleepy





Good answer RobertClapLOL

Moris made me think though, we did have some extra time in our pre-Internet youth.  What did we do?  Probably just watched more TV and played Dungeons and Dragons.  I'm quite sure the time wasn't filled with more girlsLOL



oh yeah




Back to Top
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP Member

Joined: August 28 2009
Location: Vineland, N.J.
Status: Offline
Points: 2641
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TODDLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 00:19

It's interesting to read the posts here. When I was 15, older hippies would slaughter me because I listened to King Crimson. They thought I was trying to flaunt weirdness. They were rather snooty about it. They never excepted me because I was young. Plain and simple. But it didn't drive me to become a James Dallas Egbert III of the world. Once during a music conversation with young students, the word Disco came up. I mentioned that during my youth, disco fans would stand on one side of the strip with chains and the rockers on the other side with clubs. Violence broke out between the 2 groups on a regular basis. Back then....rockers thought that disco was going to overthrow Rock and protested. No one in the music class age 15 to 19 believed me. They thought I was making the story up. I figure those facts about disco and rock have been wiped out of the publications industry for years now. It's interesting what ROGERTHAT had to say about SEBTP, and Fragile and the outside circles not  thinking of those records as Rock classics. Wow, that's really sad when society doesn't even consider the meaning of real facts. False information really influences people's minds doesn't it?  

Back to Top
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer


Joined: September 20 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 1295
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Kobrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 00:21
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

I'm surprised how many really young people we have here.Stern Smile

Surel, it's great that you love prog, but...

GET OFF THE INTERNET!!

Go out, go to a gig, have a drink, kiss a girl, do yoga, go fishing, ride a bike, climb a mountain!


Again and again!


(I should be doing it too. I'm on computer because my girlfriend is in bed, snoring badly.)Pinch








Wise words my friend! 

Indeed we should all drop acid and then run across a freeway naked because we think that there's a magical gumdrop forest on the other side! LOL

But staying off the internet is for people who listen to My Chemical Romance! Internet nerds prefer Crimson... Wink
Back to Top
rogerthat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Joined: September 03 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 5565
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 00:56
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

It's interesting what ROGERTHAT had to say about SEBTP, and Fragile and the outside circles not  thinking of those records as Rock classics. Wow, that's really sad when society doesn't even consider the meaning of real facts. False information really influences people's minds doesn't it?  


I think it's mainly because the critics never seem to have truly acknowledged these bands.  They couldn't stop people liking them in the 70s but they also made it as easy as possible for people to forget about them when prog faded away from the mainstream in the 80s by more or less pretending these albums were never made. Unlike those rock classics of which we are informed ad nauseum through various articles and lists. Yeah, it's a shame, if I had never heard of prog, I wouldn't know many of these amazing musicians existed, let alone know how great they were/are.
Back to Top
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: April 05 2006
Location: New Jersey, US
Status: Offline
Points: 33170
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 01:13
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Nope.  All proggers under 18 only like prog-metal, and all old guys only like Genesis.Wink


Yup, it's true. I hated all non prog metal until I turned 18, then it was great suddenly.
Not old enough to like Genesis though.
Thought I did but guess not...Cry


Edited by JJLehto - November 28 2010 at 01:14
"It's fine, luckily we're all English so no one will ask any questions. Thank you centuries of emotional repression."
Back to Top
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: May 27 2005
Location: NE Indiana
Status: Offline
Points: 27980
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 01:17
Originally posted by NecronCommander NecronCommander wrote:

So are we implying here that metal is juvenile and just a phase for teenagers?

Hrmph.



99% of it is. The other 1% is Pain of Salvation. Anything else must be enjoyed with the caveat that it is impossible to take seriously.

I'm mostly serious by the way.


Edited by stonebeard - November 28 2010 at 01:17
Back to Top
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: April 05 2006
Location: New Jersey, US
Status: Offline
Points: 33170
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 01:21
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Originally posted by Dgregsound Dgregsound wrote:

I'm 7 and I only listen to Zeuhl
 
lol?


Also that.
"It's fine, luckily we're all English so no one will ask any questions. Thank you centuries of emotional repression."
Back to Top
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: May 26 2008
Location: Declined
Status: Offline
Points: 16715
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 01:37
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by NecronCommander NecronCommander wrote:

So are we implying here that metal is juvenile and just a phase for teenagers?

Hrmph.

99% of it is. The other 1% is Pain of Salvation. Anything else must be enjoyed with the caveat that it is impossible to take seriously.

I'm mostly serious by the way.

Well Pain of Salvation sucks too, so something else must be in that 1%, but otherwise I completely agree with you. 
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

I'm surprised how many really young people we have here.Stern Smile

Surel, it's great that you love prog, but...

GET OFF THE INTERNET!!

Go out, go to a gig, have a drink, kiss a girl, do yoga, go fishing, ride a bike, climb a mountain!


Again and again!


(I should be doing it too. I'm on computer because my girlfriend is in bed, snoring badly.)Pinch

I don't want to do any of those things! Especially fishing, which is the worst waste of time ever.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Back to Top
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: May 27 2005
Location: NE Indiana
Status: Offline
Points: 27980
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 01:40
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by NecronCommander NecronCommander wrote:

So are we implying here that metal is juvenile and just a phase for teenagers?

Hrmph.

99% of it is. The other 1% is Pain of Salvation. Anything else must be enjoyed with the caveat that it is impossible to take seriously.

I'm mostly serious by the way.

Well Pain of Salvation sucks too, so something else must be in that 1%, but otherwise I completely agree with you. 



You don't like anything, though, unless you make a list of things you like like I've been saying.
Back to Top
irrelevant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 07 2010
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 10492
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 01:50
I'm 17 and listen to prog old and new, non-metal and metal. I'm also 5 and only listen to RIO, voluntarily. Stern Smile 
Back to Top
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: February 10 2010
Location: Belgium
Status: Offline
Points: 3438
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 01:51
Don't worry young folks, it is allowed to like prog-metal.
We had Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Zeppelin...
I confess that I listened to some early heavy metal when I was a teen, Judas Priest, AC/DC, MSG, UFO...  much of modern prog-metal is at least better than that.
Don't forget other stuff though, diversity is one of the key ingredients of the prog genre itself.
 


Edited by Gerinski - November 28 2010 at 01:53
Back to Top
rogerthat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Joined: September 03 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 5565
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 02:02
I don't know, I love JP and much more so than most if not all prog metal I have heard. At least JP could/can unabashedly and without any overt feeling of consciousness celebrate the irreverent release of aggression and energy that is metal music (apart from which their run of great albums in the 70s from Sad wings to Stained Class was very influential and groundbreaking). Some of the pseudo-intellectualism in prog metal is positively insufferable to me, especially because the music doesn't half live up to the posturing.  If they are really so mature in their approach and so prodigally talented, why are they so loath to shed their metal roots and venture to explore other genres?  No, seriously, that is something I have never understood.  Generally, they have neither the complete commitment and conviction to the metal format of their 'true' metal peers (which while boring after too much of it is at least enjoyable in small doses) nor the willingness to break boundaries characteristic of great prog rock bands.   
Back to Top
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 10 2010
Location: Lancaster, UK
Status: Offline
Points: 1321
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JS19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 03:19
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

 So are we implying here that metal is juvenile and just a phase for teenagers?

Hrmph.
 



99% of it is. The other 1% is Pain of Salvation. Anything else must be enjoyed with the caveat that it is impossible to take seriously.
I'm mostly serious by the way.




Well Pain of Salvation sucks too, so something else must be in that 1%, but otherwise I completely agree with you. 





The snobs descend...


Edited by JS19 - November 28 2010 at 03:32
Back to Top
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 10 2010
Location: Lancaster, UK
Status: Offline
Points: 1321
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JS19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 03:25
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Don't worry young folks, it is allowed to like prog-metal.
We had Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Zeppelin...
I confess that I listened to some early heavy metal when I was a teen, Judas Priest, AC/DC, MSG, UFO...  much of modern prog-metal is at least better than that.
Don't forget other stuff though, diversity is one of the key ingredients of the prog genre itself.
 

... and oh for gods sakes' Why the blazes to people think that:

A. Prog metal is juvenile and simplistic
B. That's the ONLY thing that us 'youngsters' listen to
C. Were seemingly not mature enough to appreciate the classics

Come on, get off your high horses. You need to understand that everyone is allowed to like classic prog whatever else they enjoy. It's not a genre reserved for die hards and it's not for just prog fans, and it's not something you earn the right to like... 

The attitudes of some of these 'older fans' are really getting to me now Angry
Back to Top
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 10 2010
Location: Lancaster, UK
Status: Offline
Points: 1321
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JS19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 03:27
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

I'm surprised how many really young people we have here.
Surel, it's great that you love prog, but...

GET OFF THE INTERNET!!

Go out, go to a gig, have a drink, kiss a girl, do yoga, go fishing, ride a bike, climb a mountain!


Again and again!


(I should be doing it too. I'm on computer because my girlfriend is in bed, snoring badly.)


Yes, we do. But one does devote their entire life to a sub-genre of music Wink
Back to Top
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: April 05 2006
Location: New Jersey, US
Status: Offline
Points: 33170
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 03:32
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

[QUOTE=NecronCommander]So are we implying here that metal is juvenile and just a phase for teenagers?

Hrmph.

99% of it is. The other 1% is Pain of Salvation. Anything else must be enjoyed with the caveat that it is impossible to take seriously.

I'm mostly serious by the way.

Well Pain of Salvation sucks too, so something else must be in that 1%, but otherwise I completely agree with you. 



The snobs descend...


Piece of advice, take little of what those two say seriously.
Otherwise you will have much rage LOL
"It's fine, luckily we're all English so no one will ask any questions. Thank you centuries of emotional repression."
Back to Top
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 10 2010
Location: Lancaster, UK
Status: Offline
Points: 1321
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JS19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 03:36
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

[QUOTE=NecronCommander]So are we implying here that metal is juvenile and just a phase for teenagers?

Hrmph.

99% of it is. The other 1% is Pain of Salvation. Anything else must be enjoyed with the caveat that it is impossible to take seriously.

I'm mostly serious by the way.

Well Pain of Salvation sucks too, so something else must be in that 1%, but otherwise I completely agree with you. 



The snobs descend...


Piece of advice, take little of what those two say seriously.
Otherwise you will have much rage LOL

Grrr I can't help it ... I'm first class trollbait LOL
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.102 seconds.