Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Decemberists new album, "The King Is Dead"
    Posted: February 01 2011 at 22:15
I grew up in the Rockies, where even saying a word, any word, is expensive Wink

What I like about the album is that it continues a fine tradition.  Neil Young/Nicollette Larson, Emmylou/Gram or even Emmylou/Mark.  And yes Ian & Sylvia.  As I said in my review, it's Gillian Welch that makes the album.  I liked her contribution such that I now have her first album, which by the way is pretty damned good. 

Even I would not argue it's prog, but it's certainly beautiful music.  But of course my ears have been listening to this sort of thing for 40 years and are inured to non-prog, though absolutely heartfelt, assaults.  It comes from the flank, like an invading army...the pedal steel, the harmonies, the crappy harmonica wails, the backwoods accordion.  To paraphrase Buck Owens, all we gotta do is act naturally.   

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2011 at 09:47
I'm from the midwest, if a word has more than 6 letters it's going to be expensive. As a science guy, it doesn't take much to make me say "That's why I didn't take any more lit classes."

This album isn't as self-consciously literate as some of their work. I don't feel like I need to go look things up nearly as much.

I listened to it on repeat ALOT over the last week. Some songs are holding up to that scrutiny better than others. The opener is the best for me. I love finding the little musical quotes (Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks styled background vocals, the Raggle-Taggle gypsy, etc.)

Fun album.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 23:33
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

I play exactly this style of music in my duo and the other guy loves it. I think it's good, but certainly not even a masterpiece of indie folk. The harp is pretty amateurish.

There are some great moments, and some nice tight songwriting, but there are alot of bands doing this style right now. Some of them are alot better at it. For me, the draw of the Decemberists was that they added some extra spice to the mix. Eside from still using alot of five dollar words, not too much habanero here.

There are some good songs though.
Agreed the harp is amateurish (we ain't talkin' Toots Thielman here).  But compared to the immediate reference point (say, Neil Young on Harvest) it certainly stands up well enough.  I think it's a great indie/alt folk/rock/country album, but I don't spend too much time in that realm.

I'll stand up for the band and the album.  Hey, they're just from down the road, either south or east.   Name one recent song that has the all-out emotion of This Is Why We Fight.  Then let me judge it.  I've got a couple of twenty-something kids, and they don't bring stuff like this around very often, in spite of what they may think about Arcade Fire.

I didn't hear too many five dollar words (trillium...gabardine...them's only worth a couple bucks).  References to Leda and Infinite Jest...realistically anyone who does not recognize these references had best familiarize themselves with Greek mythology (probably requisite for understanding half of prog lyrics, or at least band names, anyway Wink) and David Foster Wallace.  Still, only couple buck references.  Not saying I get even half of the allusions, but they are fairly obvious on this particular album.

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 20:25
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Indie-rock ensemble The Decemberists have nabbed their first number one album with the release of The King is Dead. With 94,000 copies sold, The King is Dead sits atop the Billboard 200 chart this week, while the pop compilation Kidz Bop 19 ranks at number two with 70,000 copies. By contrast, the Decemberists’ last album, 2009’s The Hazards of Love, peaked at number 14 with sales of 19,000.[Billboard.com]

Good for them.  Someone must be listening.  Nice to see my old friends Social Distortion rockin' up the charts as well.  It's a veritable renaissance.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 18:56
Glad to see that the Kidz Bop series is still alive and kickin'! LOL
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 18:30
Indie-rock ensemble The Decemberists have nabbed their first number one album with the release of The King is Dead. With 94,000 copies sold, The King is Dead sits atop the Billboard 200 chart this week, while the pop compilation Kidz Bop 19 ranks at number two with 70,000 copies. By contrast, the Decemberists’ last album, 2009’s The Hazards of Love, peaked at number 14 with sales of 19,000.[Billboard.com]
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 11:24
I play exactly this style of music in my duo and the other guy loves it. I think it's good, but certainly not even a masterpiece of indie folk. The harp is pretty amateurish.

There are some great moments, and some nice tight songwriting, but there are alot of bands doing this style right now. Some of them are alot better at it. For me, the draw of the Decemberists was that they added some extra spice to the mix. Eside from still using alot of five dollar words, not too much habanero here.

There are some good songs though.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
natewait View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 19:01
Boy was I wrong. I decided to give this album another listen, and it's like the veil has been lifted and its simple beauty is being shown to me. It is quite a revelation. I'm loving it. There is just something really special here. I can't wait to keep listening. Wow, I'm being blown away.

Please check out my Progressive Music Blog: The Leviathan.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 21:38
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

I must say I thought it wasn't their best-- at all. It had to much country-pop/nashville influence for my taste.

I would guess that if you are not a fan of say, Neil Young (Harvest-era), or maybe Springsteen (The River) or The Band (The Band), or Fairport/Richard Thompson, then this would not be a favorite.  Not to mention R.E.M., who I never really liked, but I suppose if they had sounded like this...

But then, as I've mentioned many times before, anything that has decent pedal steel sucks me right in.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 20:29
I must say I thought it wasn't their best-- at all. It had to much country-pop/nashville influence for my taste.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 20:00

Gave this a first listen.  Good Lord, I'm not so sure we do not have yet another concept album here, albeit of a simpler sort.  There's a story being told...the same one Dylan, Neil Young, The Band, and occasionally Springsteen have been telling over the decades.  More later...this is a stunningly beautiful piece of music.

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 10:52
I went looking for this CD yesterday.  There are no longer music stores in my immediate area, but everywhere I checked that still sells CD's did not have it.  So my wife was at Starbucks this morning and picked it up for me Ermm
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 15:09
Okay, I finally got to hear the entire album today.  Yup, not prog by any stretch of the imagination.  That said, I have a feeling I'm going to like this one, and thoughts kept popping into my head for a review the whole time I listened to the record, which is great because I've sort of had writer's block for a couple months now.

I very clearly remember buying a vinyl copy of the R.E.M. EP 'Chronic Town' when it came out in 1982, and I remember how I felt when I listened to it for the first time.  I felt exactly the same way when I played 'the King is Dead', and frankly it was a little creepy. 

If nothing else I have to say that Colin Meloy refuses to be pigeonholed into one sound, he takes risks, and he realizes that constant change is a necessary ingredient for success.  Even if I don't end up loving this one as much as most of the prior albums I am quite confident that the record will at least keep my appetite whetted for whatever comes next.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 03:11
I really like it. I also like how they make sure that you have a chance to listen to it before you buy, so that you don't build up expectations of another prog epic. I really like the Americana angle (anyone who likes this album - check out Bright Eyes - Cassadaga). Maybe the next album will be an epic again - who knows, let them surprise us!Smile
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 08:01
Not proggy at all but still very enjoyable.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 18:04
Originally posted by rushaholic rushaholic wrote:

My special edition arrived today.  Love the artwork in the book.  CD sounds great (still like Hazards of Love and The Crane Wife much better though).

This one will take a while to appreciate I think.
Nice to hear some positive words about it.  I'll pick it up on Tuesday.  In the link I posted to their version of Row Jimmy, I hear nothing to make me think a) it will be as proggy as the previous two albums, or b) it will anything but excellent nonetheless.
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 17:02
My special edition arrived today.  Love the artwork in the book.  CD sounds great (still like Hazards of Love and The Crane Wife much better though).

This one will take a while to appreciate I think.
natewait View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 14:22
I try to keep an open mind when it comes to music and specifically bands trying out different things....

But, I just can't get into this album. It is a real shame because Hazards of Love is probably one of my 25 favorite all-time albums and I was really getting into The Crane Wife as well.

Oh well. You can't win them all, I suppose.

Edited by natewait - January 08 2011 at 14:22
Please check out my Progressive Music Blog: The Leviathan.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 17:39
I for one am looking forward to this.  I think it is a good thing that they do not immediately try to top Hazards.  As those of you with a sense of musical history will recall, the incessant need to make the next album bigger and badder and more outrageous than the previous led to the downfall of many a great prog band. 

So good for The Decemberists.  Here's a link to their recent version of the Dead's Row Jimmy, which apparently is not on the new album, though I'm assuming it's representative of what we'll hear.  Sounds great to me.

Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 23:21
Seems like a great start to a new music year. After just one listen I can't say if I'll like it as much as the previous two, but this sounded really really good anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>