Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 18:56
Glad to see that the Kidz Bop series is still alive and kickin'! LOL
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 20:25
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Indie-rock ensemble The Decemberists have nabbed their first number one album with the release of The King is Dead. With 94,000 copies sold, The King is Dead sits atop the Billboard 200 chart this week, while the pop compilation Kidz Bop 19 ranks at number two with 70,000 copies. By contrast, the Decemberists’ last album, 2009’s The Hazards of Love, peaked at number 14 with sales of 19,000.[Billboard.com]

Good for them.  Someone must be listening.  Nice to see my old friends Social Distortion rockin' up the charts as well.  It's a veritable renaissance.
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 23:33
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

I play exactly this style of music in my duo and the other guy loves it. I think it's good, but certainly not even a masterpiece of indie folk. The harp is pretty amateurish.

There are some great moments, and some nice tight songwriting, but there are alot of bands doing this style right now. Some of them are alot better at it. For me, the draw of the Decemberists was that they added some extra spice to the mix. Eside from still using alot of five dollar words, not too much habanero here.

There are some good songs though.
Agreed the harp is amateurish (we ain't talkin' Toots Thielman here).  But compared to the immediate reference point (say, Neil Young on Harvest) it certainly stands up well enough.  I think it's a great indie/alt folk/rock/country album, but I don't spend too much time in that realm.

I'll stand up for the band and the album.  Hey, they're just from down the road, either south or east.   Name one recent song that has the all-out emotion of This Is Why We Fight.  Then let me judge it.  I've got a couple of twenty-something kids, and they don't bring stuff like this around very often, in spite of what they may think about Arcade Fire.

I didn't hear too many five dollar words (trillium...gabardine...them's only worth a couple bucks).  References to Leda and Infinite Jest...realistically anyone who does not recognize these references had best familiarize themselves with Greek mythology (probably requisite for understanding half of prog lyrics, or at least band names, anyway Wink) and David Foster Wallace.  Still, only couple buck references.  Not saying I get even half of the allusions, but they are fairly obvious on this particular album.

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2011 at 09:47
I'm from the midwest, if a word has more than 6 letters it's going to be expensive. As a science guy, it doesn't take much to make me say "That's why I didn't take any more lit classes."

This album isn't as self-consciously literate as some of their work. I don't feel like I need to go look things up nearly as much.

I listened to it on repeat ALOT over the last week. Some songs are holding up to that scrutiny better than others. The opener is the best for me. I love finding the little musical quotes (Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks styled background vocals, the Raggle-Taggle gypsy, etc.)

Fun album.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 22:15
I grew up in the Rockies, where even saying a word, any word, is expensive Wink

What I like about the album is that it continues a fine tradition.  Neil Young/Nicollette Larson, Emmylou/Gram or even Emmylou/Mark.  And yes Ian & Sylvia.  As I said in my review, it's Gillian Welch that makes the album.  I liked her contribution such that I now have her first album, which by the way is pretty damned good. 

Even I would not argue it's prog, but it's certainly beautiful music.  But of course my ears have been listening to this sort of thing for 40 years and are inured to non-prog, though absolutely heartfelt, assaults.  It comes from the flank, like an invading army...the pedal steel, the harmonies, the crappy harmonica wails, the backwoods accordion.  To paraphrase Buck Owens, all we gotta do is act naturally.   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123