FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMusic changes as you age

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 00:05
thing about changing taste is, unless you've forbidden yourself to grow, you'll welcome it when it comes

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 00:09
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Genres are only labels for the sake of convenience, but to follow Moshquito's view, they can get in the way, especially when your musical horizons grow, and they will only if you let them.  I strongly advize that you do.  Good music is good music.  Keep listening to what truly moves you, and keep your mind and ears open.  There is a lot of good music out there, and it's not all categorized in the same genre.  So just . . . listen.  Cool
This is really the best choice of advice to follow. Well,...in my case but, nevertheless it seems to have evolved into a rare viewpoint.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 00:52
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

thing about changing taste is, unless you've forbidden yourself to grow, you'll welcome it when it comes

This is so good. Pay attention folks.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 04:42
Just be careful when you will marry (or go live with your couple) and when you will have periods in life when you will think that you don't have time for music anymore.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 04:57
1st rule is never sell, dispose or get rid of any albums, ever. Even if you didn't like them when you bought them, or have grown tired of them, keep them because one day in the future you will want to hear them again and will hear them with different ears and a different kind of appreciation. I guarantee that if you do sell an album you will at some point regret that sale.

The music you like when you are 12 will stay with you forever. Your tastes will change and you will discover "new" music that in the moment you will like more, but in the long run the music you listen to now will always be special. Back in 1968-70 I discovered all the bands I hold dear today (Floyd, Moodies, VdGG, Genesis, Purple, Tangerine Dream) and I have discovered 1000s of bands and music styles since, but I still return to the favourites from time to time.
What?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 07:44
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

This is so good. Pay attention folks.
Something to surely consider. Very true.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 07:52
Unless I missed it, The Song Remains The Same.  And if I have, screw it. Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 04 2010 at 07:57
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 07:53
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

1st rule is never sell, dispose or get rid of any albums, ever. 

I have done this and regretted it.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 07:58
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Oddly enough, I've never done it, and now I have too many.  The one's I would get rid of won't fetch any money in resale so they stay in the collection and in listening circulation.  But this is precisely why I hang on to all admitted to the collection.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 04 2010 at 08:01
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 08:02
If anything, your musical taste will only improve with age. I've gained a greater appreciation for good music over the years. Conversely, I've lost my taste for the weaker artists whom I loved in my tweendom.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 08:12
Originally posted by Anthony H Anthony H wrote:

Conversely, I've lost my taste for the weaker artists whom I loved in my tweendom.

This is the one part I don't dig so much about changing tastes. It gets harder to like artists as you are exposed to more and more music and even when you do like some artists, you are rarely blown away so comprehensively as you used to be in the initial stages.
chrijom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 09:43
Just enjoy it and don't try to force anything, you have your whole life ahead of you and music listening can be a wonderfully exciting journey, I'm sure your attention will divert onto other pathways over the years - at one point I stopped listening to prog altogether when I was going through quite an intense modern/avant-garde classical phase, but progressive music is my spiritual home and I've returned to it in the last couple of years.  There's just so much great music to listen to!
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 10:33
Great topic BTW...well,starting off at the age of 15 I was a devoted metalhead,straight stuff from classic hard rock/heavy to freaky thrash metal.At about 20 years old I discovered progressive metal,mainly from SHADOW GALLERY and DREAM THEATER...pretty impressive music I thought then...Then I listened to MARILLION's ''Script...'' through a rock magazine...that was it...For over 10 years I am in love with prog rock music and its subgenres...Heading to 32 now,it's hard for me to imagine myself listening to something else than prog along with lounge electronic music and some jazz...
CONCLUSION: Never got over my rock roots since I was a teenager,but the ''angry'' years geve their place to more sceptic and demanding stuff...People are there to improve themselves over the days,same as their musical tastes...
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 10:36
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

same thing with me...what an idiot I guess I am...Unhappy
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
progger7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 10:51
As much as my music taste grows or evolves, I still come crawling back to the old stuff of the 60' and 70's when it was REALLY good!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 10:56
I've always found the best analogy with exploring music to be that of food e.g. growing up in Scotland I liked rather plain dishes (meat and potatoes), then sampled Italian food, then Mexican, then Eastern European, then Chinese, then Thai then Indian etc. I guess it takes a while to get used to the more esoteric or spicy flavours on offer but perhaps an inevitable phase during this process in our youth is to denounce the formative dishes as 'bland' or 'safe'
It's only now (I'm 48) that I have come to recognise the merits of all the recipes I've sampled.

(BTW to milk the analogy further, we are often guilty of judging the best restaurant by the cutlery on this websiteWink)
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 11:42

1st rule is never sell, dispose or get rid of any albums, ever. Even if you didn't like them when you bought them, or have grown tired of them, keep them because one day in the future you will want to hear them again and will hear them with different ears and a different kind of appreciation. I guarantee that if you do sell an album you will at some point regret that sale.

The music you like when you are 12 will stay with you forever. Your tastes will change and you will discover "new" music that in the moment you will like more, but in the long run the music you listen to now will always be special. Back in 1968-70 I discovered all the bands I hold dear today (Floyd, Moodies, VdGG, Genesis, Purple, Tangerine Dream) and I have discovered 1000s of bands and music styles since, but I still return to the favourites from time to time.
Very true indeed. The music you listen to when you are young will stay within you, it may be put "on hold" somewhere in the background but it will always stay there and it is likely to come back upfront sometime in the future, especially with prog because it holds so many rewards.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 12:02
Great threadClap

Good music is good music, no matter what the genre. Classic rock was my first love, and I still revisit it, although 95% of my listening is different types of prog, if I find something good, then I will enjoy it. In fact, the best gig of this year was a trip to Northern England to see a cult folk punk band.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Blackbeard View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 13:13
I am changing, so my musical taste is changing. I love prog rock since years, but my favorites are changing year by year. Not to speak of other musical directions like classic or jazz.
Elderflower Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 13:37
Well, I can tell you that I'm really looking forward to maturing and being able to listen to more than just rock and metal, which is pretty much the fare that I'm listening to. I've been acutely aware that my horizons are going to expand as I get older for a while now. But I don't want to grow tired of prog. I just want to learn to be equally enthusiastic about jazz, funk, blues, electronic music, Latin music... anything. I'm already learning the jazz.
All your hearts now seem so far from me,
It hardly seems to matter now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>