FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdmit It

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 18:12
My name is Dean and I am a Pink Floyd fanboi.

My iPlod contains 69 hours 28 minutes 13 seconds of Pink Floyd material. This tally does not include solo releases by Barrett, Waters, Gilmour, Wright or Mason, of which I own most of everything they ever released.

I also consider myself to be a fanboi of The Enid, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Savatage, Pain Of Salvation, Ayreon, Paradise Lost, Kate Bush, Tori Amos, Toyah, Cocteau Twins, Alison Goldfrapp, Siouxsie and The Banshees, Bauhaus and Fields of the Nephilim.

Next on my iPlod total playing time list (skipping over 54 hours of my own music and 35 hours of Philip Glass) would be Porcupine Tree  at 20 hours 11 minutes 14 seconds (which does not include SWilson solo, IEM, Bass Communion, Blackfield, No Man and that album he did with Fish (Sunsets on Empire?) - I own most of everything SWilson ever released and a fair bit of what he has produced).

I *think* Siouxsie and the Banshees/Glove/Creatures/solo may exceed that total, but most of what I own of their's is on vinyl so is not on my iPlod.
What?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 19:11
oh yeah, I'm my own band's top listener on last.fm, does that make me my own fanboy?
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 19:13
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I guess to be a fanboy you have to be a sucker for everything they make.
I guess so, but for my list I was less strict then that. There are no bands of which I like all their albums (not counting bands with only 1 or 2 albums).
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 20:28
It's not hard to be a tull fan boy especially for a young person. All those quality remasters will make anyone a fan. I really like the album A especially with the dvd. Here's my fave 10 tull cd's

thick as a brick
living in the past
bursting out
heavy horses
warchild remaster
stormwatch remaster
songs from the wood
benefit remaster
a
broadsword remaster

Heathcliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 21:24
Tull for me.
With honorable mentions to early to mid period Genesis,Zappa and ELP.
I had a Yes period in my youth but don't play them much these days.
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 21:29
Another Tull fanboy! Have a huge library, have seen them more times than I can count. I will say that not everything they've done is good though-A, Catfish Rising, Under Wraps, not so good. But they are my favorite!

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 21:31
I admit nothing.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 22:23
 ^ LOL  hear, hear

okay, like Dean I may as well come clean, the first step is admitting there's a problem.  In or around 1987 I discovered Led Zeppelin bootlegs in a big way.  Living in a hub of music exchange didn't help matters and over the course of about four years amassed a healthy collection.  I'm talking the real thing, too: vinyl (occasionally colored) in increasingly handsome gatefold covers.  Sound quality was always a gamble but if it was a rare recording it was usually worth it for the history alone if not the always soulful performance of the band.  Like the Dead, one never knew what Zep would do on a given night, nor what had been captured on an old sony cassette recorder by a devoted fan from the 15th row.  Of course soundboard recordings were preferred, though they too had problems of levels and poor ambiance making a good crowd recording better in many ways.  And there were several good sources for bootleg (or "Private Issue") information, like The Illustrated Collectors Guide to Led Zeppelin by Robert Godwin.

Fun times.  Then vinyls began to disappear, replaced mostly by disc by about 1995.  It became a bit less fun and just as pricey (most boots running about $25, the double LPs easily $40 new).  I don't know how many hours of material I amassed of the band live, or if I would count the many oldies they'd do mixed-in with their jams.  I'd estimate it, including cassette tapes and CDs, at about 100 hours and there's of course much more.

Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 22:26
I need a precise definition of "fanboy" in order to answer this.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 22:30
I don't feel like a fanboy of anything, I have my favorites to be sure but I can go long stretches of time without listening to them.  But stuff like Henry Cow and National Health come close I suppose, in that I've obtained everything there is to get by those bands, but in the grand scheme that's not even that big an accomplishment.  Yes and Rush are always two mainstays as well (I at least own Rush's entire discography).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 02:06
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Another one of mine is Mansun. I think I'm the only person who said "Only three discs?" after purchasing their rarities set.
Thumbs Up
I love Mansun as well. Make sure you post some reviews if you havn't already.Big smile
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 06:59
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

My name is Dean and I am a Pink Floyd fanboi.

My iPlod contains 69 hours 28 minutes 13 seconds of Pink Floyd material. This tally does not include solo releases by Barrett, Waters, Gilmour, Wright or Mason, of which I own most of everything they ever released.

I also consider myself to be a fanboi of The Enid, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Savatage, Pain Of Salvation, Ayreon, Paradise Lost, Kate Bush, Tori Amos, Toyah, Cocteau Twins, Alison Goldfrapp, Siouxsie and The Banshees, Bauhaus and Fields of the Nephilim.

Where's Anathema? Shocked

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

okay, like Dean I may as well come clean, the first step is admitting there's a problem.  In or around 1987 I discovered Led Zeppelin bootlegs in a big way.  Living in a hub of music exchange didn't help matters and over the course of about four years amassed a healthy collection.  I'm talking the real thing, too: vinyl (occasionally colored) in increasingly handsome gatefold covers.  Sound quality was always a gamble but if it was a rare recording it was usually worth it for the history alone if not the always soulful performance of the band.  Like the Dead, one never knew what Zep would do on a given night, nor what had been captured on an old sony cassette recorder by a devoted fan from the 15th row.  Of course soundboard recordings were preferred, though they too had problems of levels and poor ambiance making a good crowd recording better in many ways.  And there were several good sources for bootleg (or "Private Issue") information, like The Illustrated Collectors Guide to Led Zeppelin by Robert Godwin.

Fun times.  Then vinyls began to disappear, replaced mostly by disc by about 1995.  It became a bit less fun and just as pricey (most boots running about $25, the double LPs easily $40 new).  I don't know how many hours of material I amassed of the band live, or if I would count the many oldies they'd do mixed-in with their jams.  I'd estimate it, including cassette tapes and CDs, at about 100 hours and there's of course much more.

Impressive! Clap
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 07:09
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Where's Anathema? Shocked

Liverpool.

Wink

While I own every studio album, compilation and several non-album tracks on various Peaceville samplers, I'm a bit light on their video releases (I only own the Krakow VHS tape from 19-oh-blimey) and own no unofficial material. I love them to bits, but I don't know whether I'm a fanboy.
What?
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 14:03
I have every Tool studio album, a demo, Salival, a cover they did of an NIN song, there cover of a Kyuss song, everything Maynard did in APC, and three Puscifer CD's. Maynard fanboy here.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 14:54
I have everything by Joni Mitchell.
And Pink Floyd, including the solo works of Gilmour, Waters and Wright (except Zee).
Mushroom Sword View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 16:06
Huge Rush and Pink Floyd fanboy. Huge Queen fan. And although I'm straight, Petrucci's solos give me wood. 

Edited by Mushroom Sword - December 14 2010 at 16:07
Varon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 16:09
I admit that I'm VdGG fanboy - I like everything they've done and their music impresses me more and more every time i listen to it. I admire Peter Hammill's talents of a singer, composer and poet . Pawn Hearts is the best progalbum ever recorded IMO.

The most interesting thing is that I'm VdGG/Hammill fanboy but as to Music in general (not only prog) there is only one musician that I love - Mozart . I consider Mozart to be the soul of music. But for some reason I can't say that I'm his fanboy Disapprove. Life is complicated....
Would you catch the final words of mine?
Would you catch my words???
Paperbag View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 11:48
I own a lot of Acid Mothers Temple and consider them my favourite band.
Also Yoshida Tatsuya, Ruins and Koenjihyakkei, some of the greatest music ever made.
sydbarrett2010 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 13:32
pink floyd - porcupine tree - king crimson
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 16:08
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

64 hours of Zappa and 47 hours of King Crimson. M'yup.

Nice choices.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>