Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 17:30
Back to Chas & Dave - Chas wrote a gardening book
rotten hound of the burnie crew
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 12:04
Iconic German conductor Wilhelm Furtwaengler, regarded as one of the 20th century's greatest Bruckner interpreters, never conducted Bruckner's un-numbered symphonies, or Symphony No. 1. There were isolated performances of Symphony 2, though, and all the later symphonies were done.
   Alas, there were no recordings left of any symphonies before the Fourth.

The only Bruckner-Furtwaengler recording made in a studio setting, the Adagio to the Seventh Symphony, was played on German radio just before the announcement of Hitler's suicide.

Celebrated musician/conductor Dr. Serge Koussevitzky, was renowned as one of the greatest double-bass players of his day. He once met composer Tchaikovsky, playing some chamber music with him.

Brother of composer Tchaikovsky, Modest Tchaikovsky, considered Koussevitzky to be the greatest conductor of his brother's music.

Serge Koussevitzky was known as a great conductor of Tchaikovsky's last three symphonies, but also conducted the Tchaikovsky First Symphony, though no recordings exist.

Edited by presdoug - April 09 2013 at 21:43
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 16:48
One hundred years ago, in 1913, the first complete recording of a symphony was made-Beethoven's Fifth, conducted by Artur Nikisch with the Berlin Philharmonic. It has been issued on CD on the Dutton label.

Nikisch was considered by many to be THE conductor of his day, until his death in the early 1920s. He conducted the world premiere of Bruckner's 7th Symphony in Leipzig, and the composer was present.

Nikisch was also interested in Mahler's music, and even conducted the first music from his 3rd Symphony, the inner movements, before the composer conducted the whole symphony later on.

Professor Hans Richter, another celebrated conductor, became very important in the late 19th, and first decade of the 20th Centuries. He conducted the world premieres of Bruckner's 4th and 8th Symphonies, and Elgar's First Symphony.
He retired around 1911, and unfortunately left no recordings.

American conductor Theodore Thomas, who died in the first decade of the 20th Century, was enormously important, being the director of many US concert premieres, including Bruckner's 4th and 7th Symphonies. He sometimes premiered musical works even before they had been done in Europe.

Leopold Stokowski had also a giant list of world premiere performances under his direction, including the American premieres of Elgar's Second Symphony, and Mahler's 8th Symphony and Das Lied Von Der Erde.

Edited by presdoug - April 23 2013 at 19:27
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 19:54
Anton Bruckner dedicated his 2nd Symphony to Franz Liszt, after giving the score of the work to Liszt to look at, Liszt misplaced it.

At Franz Liszt's funeral, Anton Bruckner played the organ, and Liszt pupil Bernard Stavenhagen gave the funeral oration.

When Bruckner met composer Richard Wagner for the first time, and asked if Wagner would accept the dedication of one of two of either of his symphonies, the day after Bruckner could not recall which one Wagner had accepted for dedication because they had had too much beer. He contacted Wagner and recieved the note "The one where the trumpet leads the fanfare" That, of course, meant the 3rd Symphony.

Composer Sir Edward Elgar made the comment one time about his own composing, "When i hear Brahms, i feel that i am tinkering."

Edited by presdoug - June 01 2013 at 19:55
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 16:27
German conductor Ernst Praetorius, who fell from favor in Nazi Germany for conducting so called "degenerate music", landed in Turkey. He became an important musical figure there, conducting the first performance of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony in the country. Back in Germany, he was renowned for conducting the first recording of Bruckner's Second Symphony in 1937.

In the DRA (Deutsche Rundfunk Archiv) are the very first recordings made of Bruckner's first three numbered symphonies.

Famous singer Lotte Lehmann's brother Fritz Lehmann was a conductor.

Edited by presdoug - July 23 2013 at 16:29
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 00:38
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

German conductor Ernst Praetorius, who fell from favor in Nazi Germany for conducting so called "degenerate music", landed in Turkey. He became an important musical figure there, conducting the first performance of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony in the country. Back in Germany, he was renowned for conducting the first recording of Bruckner's Second Symphony in 1937.

I recommend an excellent book titled "The Devil's Muse".  It tells the story of Nazi persecution of musicians beginning when they achieved power in the early 1930's.  I have this book to thank for my discovery of Arnold Schoenberg.  When I read that the Nazi's determined his music was "degenerate" I decided that I just had to hear it!  Later, when I connected the dots between Schoenberg's creation of 12 tone serial music, Anton Webern, and Frank Zappa, Zappa's orchestral music finally made sense to me.  If interested, I'd also highly recommend hearing Schoenberg's 12 tone based opera "Moses and Aron" (he purposely misspelled "Aron" that way so the title would have 12 letters...he was one clever man and a brilliant composer) Wink
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 07:30
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I recommend an excellent book titled "The Devil's Muse".  It tells the story of Nazi persecution of musicians beginning when they achieved power in the early 1930's.  I have this book to thank for my discovery of Arnold Schoenberg.  When I read that the Nazi's determined his music was "degenerate" I decided that I just had to hear it!  Later, when I connected the dots between Schoenberg's creation of 12 tone serial music, Anton Webern, and Frank Zappa, Zappa's orchestral music finally made sense to me.  If interested, I'd also highly recommend hearing Schoenberg's 12 tone based opera "Moses and Aron" (he purposely misspelled "Aron" that way so the title would have 12 letters...he was one clever man and a brilliant composer) Wink
Thanks, that sounds like a very interesting book, i will hunt for a copy. I like Schoenberg a lot,especially his Gurrelieder, Ode to Napoleon, and Pierrot Lunaire. I will investigate this opera as well. I had not known he influenced Zappa.
           I would suggest to you a book called Trial of Strength by Fred K. Preiberg, about the rocky course the career of conductor Wilhelm Furtwangler took when his genius collided with Nazi Germany.

Edited by presdoug - July 24 2013 at 07:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 11:15
Ya, Zappa specifically mentions Webern as an influence in his autobio...and of course Webern came from the "Second Viennese School" and was a student of Schoenberg and his new creation, "12 tone serial music".  Like Schoenberg, Webern's music was deemed "cultural Bolshevism" and "degenerate art" by the Nazi party.

Thanks for the reference to "Trial of Strength" it sounds interesting too.  Along similar lines, I read a biography of Richard Wagner and his family...he had close ties to the Nazi party and was probably the single composer most embraced by Hitler and the party.  Wagner actually wrote an essay with the title (translated) "Jewishness in Music" which was mostly an anti-semitic rant and included an attack on fellow composer Felix Mendelssohn...no wonder the Nazi's loved him Wacko

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 16:20
That is interesting about Webern. My favorite composer Anton Bruckner was "tarred with the Nazi brush", unfortunately. Hitler loved his symphonies, especially the 7th. But Bruckner, a devout Catholic, though devoted to Wagner's music, was not anti-semitic, and his music was never banned in Israel, and rightly so. It was Wagner's orchestral sound that Bruckner was so keenly interested in, really.
           Another book which i have not read that sounds interesting is called "The Devil's Music Master", a biography of Furtwangler and what he went through. The conductor wanted to defeat the Nazis, "from within". Somewhat naive, but a noble quest.
        Yeah, Wagner's anti-semitic rants are thoroughly repulsive.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 18:10
I just read the wiki page on Furtwangler.  Wow!  To remain in Nazi Germany conducting and pursuing his compositions while refusing to give the Nazi salute, writing letters to Goebbels and Hitler stating (in so many words) that persecuting Jewish composers will leave us with "kitsch" and "sterile virtuosity", threatening to resign his post if Jewish musicians were persecuted, and refusing to sign his letters to Goebbels and Hitler with "Heil Hitler" is an incredibly dangerous and inspirational example of "civil disobedience".  I also read that he directly attacked Richard Wagner's anti-semitic statements (especially re: Mendelssohn) which put him in hot water with Winifred Wagner - whom everyone knew had Hitler's ear.  

His goal may have been naive, but according to the article he was able to help many Jews (even getting a conductors son released from Dachau).  It also says he specifically was able to help my favourite composer Schoenberg - so he get's extra points from me Wink
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 19:40
Thanks, you have made some very important points. Furtwangler was an incredibly courageous man, who lived in difficult times. More people should read about his amazing career, and the immense hurdles he faced. His wife Elisabeth just died fairly recently at the age of 102, i believe.

Edited by presdoug - July 24 2013 at 19:42
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 12:37

Thanks, you have made some very important points. Furtwangler was an incredibly courageous man, who lived in difficult times. More people should read about his amazing career, and the immense hurdles he faced. His wife Elisabeth just died fairly recently at the age of 102, i believe.

So I decided to look up Furtwangler in my "The Devils Muse" book and see what it had to say.  Their opinion was 180 degrees opposite from his wiki page.  

1) The book reports that while he did help Jewish musicians/composers, he helped about an equal number of pro-Nazi musicians/composers.  

2) That his claims that he never conducted an orchestra in a Nazi occupied territory were simply not true...in addition to the fact that he conducted a Wagner performance for the 1935 annual Nazi music celebration that celebrated the regime's first sweeping anti-Semitic legislation.  

3) That his statements of support for Nazi marginalized composers (Schoenberg, Hindemith) were equaled by his attempts to suppress composers he saw as competition.  

4) That his decision to remain in Germany to oppose the regime from within was really his only option after a failed attempt to come to America and lead the NY Philharmonic in the late 1930's.  Supposedly, when the subscribers to the orchestra heard they were considering hiring Furtwangler, they made it clear they would remove their patronage because of his pro Nazi reputation.

5) That his very public efforts to assist other musicians/composers were not done out of a genuine concern for human rights, but simply an ego based strategy to insure he remained the center of musical attention in Nazi Germany.  

6) And most damning to his reputation, that he remained a propaganda tool of Goebbels and the party until the day in 1944 that it was clear there was no more money to be made, and that's when he left for Switzerland.

I wonder which viewpoint is correct or if the truth lies somewhere in the middle?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 14:05
There is also a book which i haven't read called "The Twisted Muse", which deals with music and musicians in Nazi Germany.

You know, i think the truth does lie somewhere in the middle. In my final judgement, i am sympathetic to Furtwangler.
      During the Hindemith affair in the thirties, when he had the unfortunate experience of conducting that composer when Goering was in the audience, he indeed resigned his post as chief conductor of the Berlin Philharmonic in protest, after the regime had directed him not to conduct Hindemith. His letter in protest was publicly published.
           On the not so good side, i have video footage of him conducting in Germany with giant Nazi swastikas hung behind the orchestra.
             He left for Switzerland because he was going to be arrested by Himmler, because of his helping of jews to safety. There is that famous quote from Himmler himself-"There isn't a jewish hand that hasn't been shaked by Furtwangler". He had to flee! The Nazis also threatened his mother, which must have been difficult.
            Furtwangler had a jewish secretary, Berta Geissmar, whom he highly valued.
       yeah, i guess i have mixed feelings about Furtwangler, but i come out in support of him in the final analysis.

Edited by presdoug - July 30 2013 at 14:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 15:00
^ Oops...the book in my collection that I reference actually is "The Twisted Muse"...my mistake.

It's clearly a messy and complex history.  I can't imagine creating art or music in a totalitarian state where a political party bureaucrat decides if it's worthy or "decadent"...and that label in turn determines whether you're able to continue creating or find yourself and your family sentenced to death (or worse).  Further, standing up for an openly oppressed and persecuted minority in such an environment remains incredibly dangerous...even if he was favoured by some members of the ruling party.  That could be why Furtwangler seemed to straddle the line of assisting both Jew and Nazi musicians, or sometimes conducting on a Swastika draped stage.  Perhaps he had to play the middle road to maintain the ability to pick and choose people he could help?

Either way, I think it's a fascinating period in musical history to study.

Edited by The.Crimson.King - July 30 2013 at 15:01
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 18:13
You know you have made some good points. Furtwangler is very special to me for his inspired devotion to Bruckner's music, a composer he felt was misunderstood. And his Beethoven and Wagner recordings are also second to none.
   I consider those recordings during the Nazi era by him to be "a light in the darkness". Something spiritual and noble amid the madness of Nazism.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 19:51
The more I reflect on it, I think the possibility that Furtwangler was an Oskar Schindler type of person could be considered.  Schindler was only able to help the "Schindlerjuden" by continuing to be part of the system he grew to abhor.  For Furtwangler to become "a light in the darkness", he had no choice but to placate the power structure around him to some extent.  What good would he have been able to do in exile or imprisoned?  The Nazi's realized in the early 30's that the only way to effect change was to become part of the system they wanted to destroy.  Furtwangler seems to have taken a page from their own book and used it against them.

For some odd reason, a quote from Bram Stoker's Dracula just popped into my head as applicable.  Van Helsing ponders, "we have all become God's madmen."  I can only wonder if that thought ever crossed the mind of those who remained in Nazi Germany attempting to fight the insanity from within the belly of the beast?

Edited by The.Crimson.King - July 31 2013 at 19:53
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 16:30
The Nazis were parasites to a certain extent, and tried oh so hard to "typify" what it was to be German, and it must have turned real German's stomachs sick to have to live amidst their ploys and power games. It is really something to hear the music recordings, and even see the concerts in the DVD "Great Conductors Of The Third Reich" (don't really like that title). What a godsend some of those music nights must have been to Germans who were psychologically and physically at the end of their tether.
Just goes to show you the great healing power of music.
The Nazis could not fully take that away!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 17:16
^  Great point.  It's funny, I was just telling my wife the other day about the early-mid 80's US hardcore punk scene and how it flourished while Reagan was in the White House.  In Britain, the Sex Pistols and that whole scene took root while Thatcher was leading the conservative party and then as PM.  Ultra conservative/totalitarian/fascist regimes never seem to be able to completely silence musical dissent.  Whether it's Furtwangler assisting Jewish musicians, Creedence Clearwater Revivial's singing the anti-Viet Nam war protest song "Fortunate Son", The Sex Pistols with "Anarchy in the UK", The Dead Kennedy's "We've Got a Bigger Problem Now", The Minutemen's "If Reagan Played Disco", Frank Zappa's anti-PMRC album "The Mothers of Prevention", The Dixie Chicks saying they're ashamed GW Bush is from Texas, or Pussy Riot in Russia, somewhere, some band is speaking out against what they see as oppressive authority.  Long Live Music!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 18:35

..or it could be (ref: Malcolm McLaren, Johnny Lydon et al): "we know a good bandwagon when we see one"

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 19:11
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

..or it could be (ref: Malcolm McLaren, Johnny Lydon et al): "we know a good bandwagon when we see one"

Entirely possible, but any band that refuses to attend their induction ceremony and tells the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" they're "a piss stain" gets extra points from me Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>