Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDefining Prog- The Eternal Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 11:34
 -bjork=prog-pi squared, Slartibartfast!  How many times do we have to go through this lad?

Whoever Controls Your Eyeballs Rules The World
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 11:41
I think the definition of prog is much broader and the same time much narrower. I do not count neo-prog as prog (with exceptions of course) because its major lack of progressivness and not a major sonic evolution in nearly 30 years. I count something as prog if it's different and if it's creative. Technical abilities? Definitely, but not a major necessity. Progressive is about being Progressive in my eyes, not a genre.
sararocksprog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 00:36
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

Progressive is about being Progressive in my eyes, not a genre.
I like that!  Clap
Battlepriest View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 14:00
I have a certain criteria for determining what is and isn't progressive rock. I don't expect anyone else to follow them -- the good thing about opinions is you get to form your own. Genre has very little to do with musical approach (although the baseline is derived from that); it has much more to do with concensual perception.

Certain bands are genre defining, regardless of how far away they get from the baseline of prog rock. King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, ELP, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant and even Rush, Kansas and Dream Theater fit this (as do a few other less publicly obvious bands such as Renaissance and VDGG). No matter what someone may think of 90125, Invisible Touch or Under Wraps, the bands that produced them are not stripped of their prog rock status, heritage or stigma.

If a band is a "clone" of one of these bands, they are automatically progressive rock -- even if they sound more like the band during a "pop" phase. By way of example, both Starcastle and World Trade are thought of as clones of Yes. The former sounds more like Fragile-era Yes, and the latter sounds completely like 90125-era Yes. Both are automatically progressive rock, even if they have progressed no further than the b-side of their favorite Yes singles.

If a band doesn't fall into either of those two categories, at least one of the following two criteria must be met --

1) The band must be perceived as a progressive rock (or sub-genre) band more or less in equal measure to other genres with which the band is associated. A band that is overwhelmingly associated with another genre, regardless of prog elements in their music belongs to the other genre (Iron Maiden is overwhelmingly a Heavy Metal band, despite being more "progressive" than many prog metal bands). Bands like Coheed & Cambria and Tool are both thought of as alternative rock bands, but also as progressive bands in both mainstream and underground reviews; they're both prog.

2) The band strongly promotes itself through the progressive "scene" (i.e. they're on a "prog" label, they accept gigs at prog festivals, interview with prog magazines and websites), whether or not their music meets the traditional expectations of progressive rock. King's X and Ambrosia are examples.

Also of note -- Prog doesn't equal "good", and being reviled by prog fans does not exclude a band from being a prog. Styx (criteria 1) and Asia (criteria 2) are fine examples. As much as some on ProgArchives would like to shake Styx from their collective shoes, it ain't ever gonna happen.

On the flipside, If a band/artist with progressive tendencies steadfastly professes a hatred/rejection for progressive rock, and doesn't use progressive music scenes to self promote, they are not Prog. "Hypocrites" like The Enid don't get out of being prog, because they are on the prog "dole". Radiohead, on the other hand, is not legitimately part of the genre, and I'll respect their rejection of it.

Anyway, I don't expect everyone to agree with my take on it, but it works for my sanity. :)

For what its worth, after listening to Total B.S., I would conclude it is prog rock (as well as progressive by musical approach).
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 15:08
Originally posted by Battlepriest Battlepriest wrote:

1) The band must be perceived as a progressive rock (or sub-genre) band more or less in equal measure to other genres with which the band is associated. A band that is overwhelmingly associated with another genre, regardless of prog elements in their music belongs to the other genre (Iron Maiden is overwhelmingly a Heavy Metal band, despite being more "progressive" than many prog metal bands). Bands like Coheed & Cambria and Tool are both thought of as alternative rock bands, but also as progressive bands in both mainstream and underground reviews; they're both prog.

2) The band strongly promotes itself through the progressive "scene" (i.e. they're on a "prog" label, they accept gigs at prog festivals, interview with prog magazines and websites), whether or not their music meets the traditional expectations of progressive rock. King's X and Ambrosia are examples.

You joined on the same day as me so obviously your thoughts are very wise Smile

I would normally not care too much whether something is Prog or not, but having to listen to multiple Metal bands each weak in order to "judge" them fit for PA or not, I reason very much along the same lines.
With progressive metal bands it's especially difficult as the metal part is so crushingly dominant mostly.

Battlepriest View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 15:40
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

I would normally not care too much whether something is Prog or not, but having to listen to multiple Metal bands each weak in order to "judge" them fit for PA or not, I reason very much along the same lines.
With progressive metal bands it's especially difficult as the metal part is so crushingly dominant mostly.

I don't envy you that task, my friend, as the ProgPower Festival is one of the things that can put a wrench in my criteria. ;)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 15:53
Hi,

My biggest criteria for it all is the easiest one ... if you have to find a definition then, it is not progressive ... because the one thing that the originals did to you was defy the equation of music and do something different ... so, in the spirit of the founding musicians, for us to sit here and try to define a feeling is really sad and boring ... and I seriously doubt that we can find words where each and everyone of us can meet and agree ... because if there is one thing that we do not agree on is to disagree! Sorry Voltaire!

But it's hard ... because what we are doing is labelling music that is formulaic it and nailing it down even more ... and in the process, we are not helping define and explain, what it is that helped many of these people create the whole thing in the first place ... and not one musician that I have ever met, has written a piece of music because he wanted to create a "progressive" or "prog" piece. And the one that said that to me I said that I thought he was an idiot that didn't know what music was inside him ... and a year later he gave me a hug ... and he is doing very well now ... and living off the music.

It's not about the definition ... it's about the music first ... and I am not a great fan of these because too many of these treatises do not respect the music and think the music has to be secondary to the exercise in mental rumination and there are not too many musicians that live on that!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 19:30
I can't define prog. It's defining itself when you hear some.
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
jaybird77 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 23:27
Originally posted by Steven Brodziak Steven Brodziak wrote:

I've never thought of Led Zep as prog until recently. They were like heavy rock to me. But with songs like "No Quarter" yes, in my opinion it is prog. Chord changes, mood changes, instrumentation changes as well as vocal changes in a song can be prog. Not every song from the giants of prog ie. Genesis, Yes are prog. Even from selling England by the Pound you have "More Fool Me" a wonderful song but no prog imo. Today, Dream Theater does some prog. Transatlantic? Nearly 100% prog. Flower Kings the same. You are correct on pop description.

You know Prog when you hear it.
IMO, "Achilles Last Stand" by Zeppelin was the best example of prog they ever came close to.
artnico View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 05:39
Someone should explain that if there is a genre that you can not label, well, that’s just prog :)))
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 22:52
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

I can't define prog. It's defining itself when you hear some.

The bizarre thing is this ... no one here, or otherwise, sits and listens to Beethoven because it is "romantic music" (as the arts period was called), or Bach because he was "baroque", or Stravinsky, because it was ... something or other. So, for me, to need a "description" or "definition" for anything I, or any of the members here listen to, is bizarre to say the least, and only means that we have created some standby definitions in order for them to be more viable to find and sell in a commercial world.

It maybe that 50 years from now that the period of music for 10 to 20 years that started 45 years ago, it will be named "Progressive" ... but we're not there in that future yet, so, until then ... we either listen to the music and appreciate the composer/composers, or all we are doing is listening to your oldies favorite, and in this case "progressive" and not even on Sirius, even if they use the word ... badly!

We just need a better historical perception, that's all ... not to say that we can not matriculate to "progressive", but the music has to come first, not the definition ... later, the definition takes shape for books, historians and ... academics! We're neither of those, sometimes!

Edited by moshkito - March 02 2011 at 22:53
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Makntak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 06:31
That's an interesting perspective, Moshkito.  In the same way as the 'romantic ' period covers many decades and many composers with no regard for individual differences and compositional distinctions, this time will probably run from the 1950's to Now and beyond and earn the name of the 'Prolific' period.  In the future of course, music will be illegal and it will be the 'Prolifics' that were to blame...

After many years attempting to define the millions of releases into genres, the factions defending each definition split into fiercely opposed tribal groups.  Eventually arms were taken up and people all over the world began slaughtering their neighbours for failing to agree with their particular version of the truth.  At the end of 'The Prolific Wars', as they became known, so many millions had perished that a new form of world government needed to be created.  Their first act was to criminalize MUSIC.  Birdsong is the only sound that the people of the future have, although, those that gather in parks to listen to the dawn chorus and buy t-shirts are becoming the targets of  undisguised public disapproval and intense state surveillance.

The story goes that the few Swedish survivors of The Prolific Wars left the country so depopulated that it was considered a human desert.  Nevertheless, there are strong, though entirely unsubstantiated, rumours that a small band of survivors have gone underground near the Arctic Circle.  Sometimes, at night, when the Aurora Borealis is particularly strong, sailors navigating the Boreats Sea attest to having heard the sky filled with mellotrons...

Edited by Makntak - March 03 2011 at 06:36

Whoever Controls Your Eyeballs Rules The World
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 04:40
Interesting that people are suggesting here that Total BS are not in the prog category. The eclectic music is there and there are prog influences throughout the album.  

Anyway I wanted to post these clips of the bands music that I made into slide shows for youtube so here they are. I hope you enjoy the music and please comment on the slide shows and maybe help me to improve my work.

Cheers

"TOTAL BS"

"Following Forward" from Total BS CD.

This is really progressive and crossover into other styles - love this track so I made a clip to go with it.

Enjoy the trippy psychedelic art slides too on this.

Cartmen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 17:26
The slide shows are cool, too bad the music is poor...
caretaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 10:42
Fine work on the videos. As for the music, I've heard some of their stuff on the college station here and have been wanting to hear more. Sounds like prog to me.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 05:44
Total BS's music is so challenging I don't even know if most progheads would know what to make of it (ironically), either way it's incredible stuff, just don't expect a ton of interest in music this unusual .. and the slideshows are fun and colorful too

oh and,

that which is elusive if not unattainable…but always worth the chase

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 20:05
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Total BS's music is so challenging I don't even know if most progheads would know what to make of it (ironically), either way it's incredible stuff, just don't expect a ton of interest in music this unusual .. and the slideshows are fun and colorful too

oh and,

Now I'm gonna change this ... some!

Amon Duul 2's music is so challenging  I don't even know if most progheads would know what to make of it (ironically), either way it's incredible stuff, just don't expect a ton of interest in music this unusual .. and the slideshows are fun and colorful too

oh and,

Now I'm gonna change this again!

Can's music is so challenging  I don't even know if most progheads would know what to make of it (ironically), either way it's incredible stuff, just don't expect a ton of interest in music this unusual .. and the slideshows are fun and colorful too

oh and,

To be perfectly honest with you, if I played in that band I would ask you to stop talking about our music! Here are the assumptions:

1. Progheads don't know music
2. Progheads have no idea how to interpret music
3. Incredible stuff for you -- but you're trying to make me feel guilty for not listening to it
4. Not sure that your statement of interest is going to gather more interest. It certainly didn't me at all and I'm not even bothering checking out the links.
5. Slide shows and such were always fun. But I was too stoned at the time, and then I saw Nektar's and the slide show was just as stoned! And no one did them as good as the Fillmore! EVER!
6. That which is elusive is atainable ... if it matters enough to you
7. Why would I be interested in music that has a spokes person that has no idea how and what he is saying in his very own words and on top of it, why would I, as a band, want someone else to speak for me?
8. The chase part ... some crap is not worth chasing, specially when the spokes person has no idea what he is saying and is making the music less important than the band's very own work.
9. Most prog folks, btw, do not live in a "chase" mode. We're not after the chicks anymore (or the fantasies!), I don't think, and we have settled down way too much for that kid bullsh*t! ... so, tuck yours in, and then let's talk about the music!
10. Now, try talking sense, instead of crap!

Edited by moshkito - March 17 2011 at 20:13
www.pedrosena.com
caretaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2011 at 13:56
Wow.
sararocksprog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 01:03
I'm stoked about the controversy!

If I may... Defining Prog... is that which is elusive if not unattainable…but always worth the chase... NOT 'Total B.S.' music... just in case there was a misunderstanding...

This was quoted from the original article the comment is based upon... as follows...

"These days, to define Prog seems to be akin to finding the holy grail… that which is elusive if not unattainable…but always worth the chase.  I see forum topics addressed over and over again bearing titles like “Is Pink Floyd prog?” 

I appreciate the passion here though!
yeshu2k View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 01:45

Well, I think you need to listen to the music he is referring to before making statements that generalize them.  It is you that I wouldn't want promoting me.   While I do somewhat agree with your statement when looking at the last statement where he says they won't have much of an audience up here.  After listening to their stuff I find it somewhat true since a lot of the proggers up here think that if you don't sound like Yes or ELP or one of those that you are'nt a real prog band.

The whole thing about moogs and synth tones that define prog is totally wrong, but even in this case this band does have that as well as the introduction of hip hop, and in one song "One Word" a bought of country right along side some skathing metal parts.  

The vocals have a very soulful feel time as well as the bassist being somewhat funky in his shredness goes where most progressive rock fans don't tread, but usually find their feet tapping involuntarily should they keep listening, which they usually do. 

Go listenen to them, Moshkito, first then make your assumptions about Atavachron's assessment of Total B.S.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>