Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreg Lake underrated as a bass player!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 19:05
Originally posted by Starhammer Starhammer wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

No, he's providing you with an explanation. Long story told short is that extreme proficiency in bass playing was not Lake's goal and that must be kept in mind when compared to other bassists. I think that's a good point, but I don't know if he's right (I have no idea).

Long story short Harmonium, and Snow Dog is supporting it ... ELP IS NOT PROGRESSIVE ... because the BASS player sux!

We might as well announce it so we can have all the admins in this board remove ELP from the grouping, as they are an embarassment with such horrible bass playing ... !!! Cry LOL Wink

As I mentioned before ... it's not about the music anymore ... it's about how good the bass player is!

Music is dead ... Shocked  ... well, besides the point that Snow Dog is disagreeing on principle, not because he believes it!

I did not say ELP is not prog, and I did not say Greg Lake is a sucky bassist. Stop with those hyperboles.

And damnit, this thread was made for discussing Lake's bass playing skill, nothing else!

Have to say i totally agree with every word.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 13:26
I think Greg Lake is pretty good at creating riffs. He also follows the flow of the music Emerson is creating, thus making his role a bit different from normal bass players, who are more part of the rythm section, laying down the foundation of the piece.
Greg playes the bass like he would have played a rythm guitar i guess.

Edited by silverpot - December 18 2010 at 13:27
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 21:10
[QUOTE=parapet]As a professor of modern bass guitar at music high school I have a big problem of paying attention to bass guitar in music, and progressive rock is full of great players of this instrument including glorious geddy lee, virtuous john paul jones,  paul mccartney, pastorius, squier, as well as the contemporary players like john myung, colin edwin, tony levin, trey gunn etc...

But one of the most underrated bass players by my opinion is Greg Lake, who beside his great vocal and composing skills and originality plays bass incredibly awesome. Greg's bass playing is not technically complicated, nor is it fast as it is popular nowdays, but the parts he plays are considerably complex harmonically, his tone is perfect as well, and his tempo and style deserve respect. If we then assume that he sings over those lines he plays then it's worth mentioning here. In addition, Greg is difficult to find even at bass guitar forums as well.

I'd like your opinion especially by the bass players here, or at least those who understand bass playing enough.
[/QUOTE

I have to agree with you!  In fact, give a very close listen to Lake's bass playing on ITCOCK, particularly "21st Century Schizoid Man."   He was just in his early 20's, but blows the door off with his Fender Jazz Bass/Rotosound/plectrum technique!!  

Lake was very much a perfectionist on the bass guitar in ELP, once stating that he used roundwound strings & pick to emulate the sound of a piano's lower register.  I saw him twice on the "Karn Evil 9" tour, and he was fantastic! 

BTW, I also enjoy his lead guitar playing, although he de-emphasized this throughout his career.  Pity.  
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 21:28
Here, check out Lake's bass playing at 4:40 (and throughout!)  Amazing interplay with Fripp, much of the song consists of Lake's bass and Gile's drumming:

The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 23:37
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

No, he's providing you with an explanation. Long story told short is that extreme proficiency in bass playing was not Lake's goal and that must be kept in mind when compared to other bassists. I think that's a good point, but I don't know if he's right (I have no idea).

Long story short Harmonium, and Snow Dog is supporting it ... ELP IS NOT PROGRESSIVE ... because the BASS player sux!

We might as well announce it so we can have all the admins in this board remove ELP from the grouping, as they are an embarassment with such horrible bass playing ... !!! Cry LOL Wink

As I mentioned before ... it's not about the music anymore ... it's about how good the bass player is!

Music is dead ... Shocked  ... well, besides the point that Snow Dog is disagreeing on principle, not because he believes it!

I did not say ELP is not prog, and I did not say Greg Lake is a sucky bassist. Stop with those hyperboles.

And damnit, this thread was made for discussing Lake's bass playing skill, nothing else!

With whose words?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2010 at 03:31

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

With whose words?

Yours mate.Wink
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2010 at 06:03
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I have to agree with you!  In fact, give a very close listen to Lake's bass playing on ITCOCK, particularly "21st Century Schizoid Man."   He was just in his early 20's, but blows the door off with his Fender Jazz Bass/Rotosound/plectrum technique!!  

I agree, I also think his best performance is on ITCOCK. His bass leads on 21st Century Schizoid Man are amazing.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2010 at 16:07
^ However, I find the live version from the Wetton-Bruford line-up so much more mindblowing as far as bass and drums are concerned.
parapet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2010 at 03:26

@Starhammer: Moshkito makes a very good point for this discussion. 

Thank you Harmonium.

I'm ok with it. It's hard for people to take a look at quotidian studies and what they mean. It's much easier (and common) to compare to ideas in one's head, than the time and place that the creator and artist came from. Sometimes it yields interesting information, but it tend to remove the work from its "soul", as I like to say.

The hard part of it all, is, instead, to superimpose this on to today ... if you and I put together a band and we created "The Endless Enigma" today, most folks here would trash it ... because there is metal and there is this and there is that ... and folks are not really "listening" to music per se ... they are listening to ideals about music ... which "progressive" would be one of.

But saying that Greg is a bass player ... is strange ... in his first two solo albums, he barely touches a bass, if I remember correctly. And even does a Bob Dylan song ... the kind of thing that we love to trash people for and say ... they ain't progressive! .... that's another story for a rainy day, though!

I think u just went a bit astray ...

I play bass guitar and that is my instrument, and on my solo album i sang and played guitar, my bass playing there is as simple that one won't even pay attention to it. Bass guitar is a part of band and it is there to serve to the orchestra not to be used to show personal technical abilities and actually it was the only thing i thought we agreed from your first post, now i feel you changed your opinion???
SMART preachers of our doom
Telling us there is no room.
Not enough for all mankind
And the seas of time are running dry.
parapet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2010 at 03:30
Originally posted by The Wrinkler The Wrinkler wrote:

Even if it is a keyboard dominated track, Karn Evil 9 (part 2) is one of my favorite pieces to listen to Bass guitar wise! I think Greg is a great bass guitarist and I like trying to pick out his parts in ELP music.

finally sth about the tpoic

thanx wrinkler!!!
parapet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2010 at 03:50
@cstack3 and the @wrinkler:

Karn Evil 9 is one of the best examples. So, playing in time and having good dynamics is the final stage for a musician, and especially bass player, having good hearing and being creative, very important, good tone as well, everything else is an extra skill. Wooten, Levin, Miller and chaps like them have extra skills like playing very fast, double thumb tech, amazing tapping, harmonics playing or wonderful harmony knowledge and arpeggio playing. Greg lake has some of extra skills for himself as well... For example great memory (just pay attention to the parts he plays in those classically  inspired ELP songs, great unison playing (21 century s. m.), great improv. skills (most of KC live staff), he plays also very fast and precise parts in ELP early days.
parapet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2010 at 04:09
Time for the poll>

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74257&PN=1&RN=1
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2010 at 13:08
As well as 21CSM, remember Karn Evil 9's Second Impression (the piano-led composition)?

I have the sheet music and the bass is just as speedy and technical as the piano, in fact it pretty much plays the same notes as Emo's left hand (but an octave lower). So whilst it isn't very audible in the song, it serves it's purpose and happens to require a very dextrous pair of hands to pull it off!

I doubt this has ever been discussed here, so in that sense Mr Lake is indeed under-appreciated.

The Salem View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2010 at 09:55
He's a tight player, and tightness is what basically defines a good bassist (Not the ability of playing more complicated stuff like 99% of the modern bass players do). But I personally think that he's only an above-average bass player !!!
I adore ELP, but the Prog Rock scene has more talanted and creative bass players :)
Merry X-Mass everybody :)
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2010 at 11:18
not as underrated as Ray Shulman
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2010 at 12:31
in concert Greg Lake's bass pedals were so deep and solid. He is very under-appreciated. His symphonic booming subsonic tones just rattle your feet.

assume the power 1586/14.3
Rush77 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2010 at 13:43
he is a great bass player but he does liv in the shadow of bein the vocalist of ELP and theyre better bassists than him like Wetton, Lee and others but he is great. I most remember the bass on 21st Schizoid man becuz it helps create the unique mood KC has.  
JeanFrame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 13:27
Underrated? Not by me, I saw him in the early days, when he was in a band called 'The Gods', and he stood out then. The ace bass for me is Jack Bruce (Cream).
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 15:02
Originally posted by JeanFrame JeanFrame wrote:

Underrated? Not by me, I saw him in the early days, when he was in a band called 'The Gods', and he stood out then. The ace bass for me is Jack Bruce (Cream).

Agreed that jack Bruce would be a much "fair'er" comparison than Greg Lake -- although I would still think that Greg's musicianship and scholarly work and singing, is much more visible than Jack's when the music that Cream did was almost strictly rock'n'roll, because that is all Eric Clapton can play!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
let prog reign View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 14:48
I wouldn't say hes underrated. He's a great bassist and this site rates him as # 27. Mike Rutherford is rated lower than Lake and he's not underrated (for the most part)

http://www.musicbanter.com/rock-metal/41960-100-greatest-bass-players-rock-pop.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>