Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sonic Youth
    Posted: September 05 2014 at 10:52
I sometimes wonder if it's the sound of my CD - I have the original SST pressing, and they were known for putting out kinda crappy CDs sound-wise.  It just sounds kind of flat.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 10:41
It's definitely not the endorphin fests that are Daydream Nation and Sister, but that's kind of what I like about it— its minimalism and dedication to mood and atmosphere. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 10:36
EVOL has always been a second-tier SY album to me.  It was a big step forward for them, but it feels a bit too restrained to me.  It's still a fine album with several top-tier tracks (Xpressway, Shadow of a Doubt, In the Kingdom 19, Secret Girl, and Marilyn Moore)

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 10:34
Lately I'm a bit more in tune with their avant garde side as opposed to their alt-rock side, so today I think it might go like this:

1. Daydream Nation
2. Sister
3. SYR 6: Koncertas Stan Brakhage Prisiminimuni (just got this a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving it)
4. Bad Moon Rising
5. Goo

-Kehlog Albran
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 10:31
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I like SY. EVOL is my favorite. I like it's darker atmosphere and the big influence of gamelan music.

EVOL is excellent. Shadow of a Doubt is hauntingly beautiful. I definitely hear a gamelan influence in this song.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 10:28
I like SY. EVOL is my favorite. I like it's darker atmosphere and the big influence of gamelan music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 10:23
Thanks for sharing this, HolyMoly. They're such a cool band. What are your top five favorite SY albums?
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 09:40
Ah yes.  I've been revisiting their albums these past few weeks.  It was around 1985 when I bought "Bad Moon Rising" more or less on a whim; I would often buy punk/related albums just because they looked interesting.  It was kind of puzzling at first, and I didn't really like it, but something about it intrigued me and I gradually came to love it.  I've followed every album of theirs since, though I understand they're done for good now that Kim and Thurston have split from each other.  They had a nice run, nevertheless.

I've seen them 4 times in concert too.  The first time was the most memorable - right up in front of the stage at the Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill NC. as they were supporting the "Goo" album and were at or near their peak.  My 2nd show was at the football field at the University of Georgia for the "Washing Machine" tour.  The third time was for the "Thousand Leaves" album at the Roxy Theater in Atlanta, an album that I hadn't really gotten into yet at the time, so the show (which was simply a complete performance of the album) kind of bored me.  And lastly, the tour for "NYC Ghosts and Flowers" resulted in a fine show; my future wife was in the group that went with me, though she was dating my best friend at the time.

Mirror Image, I wonder if you've checked this out -- I recommend it highly.  It's part of the 33 1/3 Series of books (also available in audiobook if you like that sort of thing) and it goes into extreme detail about "Daydream Nation", including an insight into the lyrics that really opened the work up for me.  I've tried several of the books in this series and this was my favorite.

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Youths-Daydream-Nation-33/dp/082641740X

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 08:37
Wow, the last post made was in 2010. Time to change that. I have a long history with this band. I started my early teens off by collecting their music and next thing I knew I owned all their music at that time and also bought all subsequent releases. They're really a fantastic band that I can certainly understand not everyone enjoying. Their explorations of noise within a song actually make the most sense if you remember to keep them within that song. What I loved about them in the beginning was their spontaneity, but as they progressed their music became more concise and the attention to actual songwriting got stronger and the arrangements became tighter.

I've read through this thread and think some people have dismissed them out-of-hand and were completely unfair in their dismissals while others seemed to have more rounded opinions of the band. They're a love/hate band and those who love them really love them while those who hate them, hate them passionately. If I could turn any newbie onto their music I would point them to Daydream Nation or Goo. EVOL would be a good one to start with as well I think, but Daydream Nation gets my nod for perhaps their best record and one that is an out and out masterpiece.
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2010 at 15:56
^ recommend me an album.
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2010 at 15:38
sooo sonic youth...?

Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2010 at 05:24
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

If a government were formed post 1989 would you still love it?

CAPS

Czech Republic - communistic since 48-89

Czech Republic - more or less (you know) democratic - post 89.

EDIT: + other Eastern Europe countries (89-93)

Therefore Walter is commie ?

Edited by Marty McFly - December 25 2010 at 07:36
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 15:10
Originally posted by keiser willhelm keiser willhelm wrote:

^ until she sees all the VDGG and Crimson and assume you look like this.

That dude is smoking a cigarette so he must get chicks.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 14:58
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Because she's awesome? Her first album ranks among the best pop albums in history.
You can't see it, but I'm literally weeping right now.
Quote Plus if she's cruising last.fm, and she sees my last.fm, and she sees that I listen to her a lot, she might you know, seek me out and have sex with me.
Wearing an elmo costume might help get her attention.

You'll come around one day Henry. Hell has to freeze over eventually

I'll be back I have to find a costume store.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Christ, Equality 7-2521 complaining about Walter is far worse than Walter in the first place

I know I usually just ignore him, but I'm particularly bored today and stuck in the office with nothing to do.

try working LOL

Pfft, that's the last thing I intend to do.
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

^ until she sees all the VDGG and Crimson and assume you look like this.

Edited by keiser willhelm - December 17 2010 at 15:00
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 14:56

Because she's awesome? Her first album ranks among the best pop albums in history.
You can't see it, but I'm literally weeping right now.
Quote Plus if she's cruising last.fm, and she sees my last.fm, and she sees that I listen to her a lot, she might you know, seek me out and have sex with me.
Wearing an elmo costume might help get her attention.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 14:52

Christ, Equality 7-2521 complaining about Walter is far worse than Walter in the first place

I know I usually just ignore him, but I'm particularly bored today and stuck in the office with nothing to do.

try working LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 14:42

Plus if she's cruising last.fm, and she sees my last.fm, and she sees that I listen to her a lot, she might you know, seek me out and have sex with me.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 14:32

Originally posted by Proletariat Proletariat wrote:

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I can't understand what's remotely interesting about this band. I keep going back to them because every description makes it sound as though I should love them. No luck though. 
I've had the same experience. I guess I'm just too pretentious to like music that doesn't go all the way in the avant/noise department.
you both would probably like their earlyer stuff then, its a little more avant... but sonic youth is no merzbow doncha know

It's not the lack of Avant that bothers me. I listen to as much Katy Perry and Lady GaGa as I do Avant. It's the lack of anything remotely interesting or emotional.
I also don't only listen to avant music, although I don't understand how you can listen to Katy Perry, she's everything that's horrible about pop music, but a middle ground between pure avant-garde music and pop music doesn't really work for me. It has the repetition of pop music, but not the structure and melodies that can sometimes make the repetition of pop bearable.

I did listen to part of Sister and Daydream Nation, on Ruckus before its untimely demise, but the repetition drove me batty.

Edited by Henry Plainview - December 17 2010 at 14:35
if you own a sodastream i hate you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>