Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedreligion and Genesis, whats the conection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: religion and Genesis, whats the conection
    Posted: December 18 2010 at 07:57

just curious as to how important religion or most specific Abrahamic religions to the prog band Genesis since many of their album titles or songs and  album concepts relates to biblical themes or theological, mostly in favour of Gabriel era

even their name is biblical since it relates to the creation of the world, and Tony Banks have said that choral music is inspiration to him,

what is the beliefs to the genesis members, (not that I care), Peter Gabriel have both names related to Christian or biblical people/creatures, St Peter and Archangel Gabriel

both Genesis to Revelation and Trespass, hints to biblical inspiration, title wise (to my understanding)

is there more albums that have this connection or am I wrong in this

Edited by aginor - December 18 2010 at 07:59
MuzikLuva View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 08:08
I think you are reading way too much into the religious aspect.  Mike Rutherford is probably the most religious, if you want to call it that, of them all as he is a born again Christian.  I read somewhere how the name Genesis came about and I forget exactly what it was that inspired it but it had to do with a new beginning.  Tony Banks has stated that choral music has been an inspiration to him but I think that's all it is, an inspiration,  Peter Gabriel's name correlation is just a mere coincidence.  I don't believe that there really is any real "religious" connotation to the band's name or music.  But that's just me, a New York born Jewish kid who has been deeply into prog music since the late 60's.  I am primarily a keyboard player and composer who has been inspired by many types of music and other composers but that doesn't put me into any specific category.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 08:10
The simplistic answer is none really, although Gabriel & Banks both took a lot of inspiration from choral arrangements dating from their time at Chaterhouse public school.

The debut album was actually dumped in a lot of religious basket bins in record shops.

I believe that the band name was coined by Jonathon King, as he thought that the band represented a new and exciting form of music.

Gabriel era Genesis, especially, took some of their inspiration from mythical fantasies (Fountain of Salmascis being the obvious example), but mostly told stories based on social observations.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 08:11
I'm sure a conspiration is involved. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 08:15
The first two had heavy religious themes in the lyrics. Trespass had more moving ones than their first, but it had it's moments.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 18 2010 at 08:16
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 08:15

I like mere coincidences, it makes things much more interesting, I am very positive and a believer in pure chance, and not particularly in any religion but it still baffles me how much pure chance may turn out to be true or just a funny coincidence 

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 08:18

All these guys had strong classical educations which included plenty of study of Christianity. I detect in their music the usual early 20s searching for religious identity in there, still grounded in their background but reaching for more.

Supper's Ready is very grounded in Christian imagery, though I imagine some hard core Christians would find it blasphemous.

I hear much more religious thought in Gabriel's work than in TotT and WaW.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 08:28
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

The first two had heavy religious themes in the lyrics. Trespass had more moving ones than their first, but it had it's moments.
The first album was completely re-written under instruction from Jonathon King to fit the biblical concept he envisioned - the original versions of the songs did not have a religious theme, for example "The Serpent" was originally "She's Beautiful" and "In Hiding" was "Patricia".
What?
Baggra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 08:41
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Supper's Ready is very grounded in Christian imagery, though I imagine some hard core Christians would find it blasphemous.

Exactly.

Bits on the  Whitehead coverart  for Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme also imply something akin to all-out Paganism .

"Musical Box":   correct me if Im wrong, but isn't this about Victorian twisted sister sex where the brother is a lusting GHOST? 
Far, far from the tenents of Christianity, Id wager. (Indeed parts of Nursery Cryme were directly influenced by the Henry James novel, "Turn of the Screw")

I find it extremely entertaining when so many Christians believe in ghosts yet its forbidden by their religion to do so.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 08:54
The debut was based on the Bible but Genesis did not initially intend for this to be the case. It was rewritten as stated above by King. Trespass has Biblical overtones and part of Foxtrot but not that much.
From my blog here:

The album's songs were loosely based on the Bible. The album was recorded in August 1968, while band members were on school holidays, and the songs were overdubbed with strings and horns, much to the dismay of Genesis members. King took it upon himself to sequence all the songs together like a concept album, leaving no gaps and making the music flow seamlessly from track to track. The band members were aged 16 to 18, and did not consider themselves as proficient musicians, especially as they had very little studio experience. However the album had some good melodies and innovative instrumentation, with some inspired lyrics.

Lyrics to "The Serpent" (excerpt) 

And God created man from dust
With a soul inside his mould
And God created womankind
The vessel of satans hold

Creator made the serpent wise
Evil in his tempting eyes
Man is wonderful, very wonderful
Look at him
Beware the future

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - December 18 2010 at 08:55
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 10:07
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

The debut was based on the Bible but Genesis did not initially intend for this to be the case. It was rewritten as stated above by King. Trespass has Biblical overtones and part of Foxtrot but not that much.
From my blog here:

The album's songs were loosely based on the Bible. The album was recorded in August 1968, while band members were on school holidays, and the songs were overdubbed with strings and horns, much to the dismay of Genesis members. King took it upon himself to sequence all the songs together like a concept album, leaving no gaps and making the music flow seamlessly from track to track. The band members were aged 16 to 18, and did not consider themselves as proficient musicians, especially as they had very little studio experience. However the album had some good melodies and innovative instrumentation, with some inspired lyrics.

Look at him
Beware the future

Lyrics to "She is Beautiful" (same excerpt)

You know your just an able sum
To get more money
For them you're just a product
For me you're the one I love
(Baby)

Vanity arrived with fame
How she loved to see her name
She is beautiful, very beautiful
Look at her,
And she's a model

Perhaps it's just me that sees these lyrics as being more poignant and insightful.
What?
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 10:09

'The angel standing in the sun' as well as other images were lifted from the Book of Revelation, a.k.a. the Apocalypse. (If you google 'The angel standing in the Sun' you'll probably find a magnificent sun-drenched painting which J.M.W. Turner did on the same theme.)

What is the Book of Revelation? I have no doubt "some hardcore Christians" will take it as gospel truth, but it is actually one of the most hallucinatory parts of the Christian Bible... In my view, Gabriel made excellent use of it, as so many artists did before him! (Always assuming it was Gabriel who wrote the lyrics and came up with the theme.)
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 10:13

I'm not sure if I count as a "hard core Christian," as you put it, but I find "Supper's Ready" very heartening, uplifting, comical, and intelligent all at once, and that combination is difficult to achieve in any medium.  I may even be misinterpreting the lyrics incorrectly, but if I am, I'm okay with that.  Embarrassed
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 10:16
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

'The angel standing in the sun' as well as other images were lifted from the Book of Revelation, a.k.a. the Apocalypse. (If you google 'The angel standing in the Sun' you'll probably find a magnificent sun-drenched painting which J.M.W. Turner did on the same theme.)

What is the Book of Revelation? I have no doubt "some hardcore Christians" will take it as gospel truth, but it is actually one of the most hallucinatory parts of the Christian Bible... In my view, Gabriel made excellent use of it, as so many artists did before him! (Always assuming it was Gabriel who wrote the lyrics and came up with the theme.)

From Revelation 19:

17And I saw an angel standing in the sun, who cried in a loud voice to all the birds flying in midair, “Come, gather together for the great supper of God, 18so that you may eat the flesh of kings, generals, and mighty men, of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all people, free and slave, small and great.”

19Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies gathered together to make war against the rider on the horse and his army. 20But the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who had performed the miraculous signs on his behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped his image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur. 21The rest of them were killed with the sword that came out of the mouth of the rider on the horse, and all the birds gorged themselves on their flesh.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 10:34
I'm having Visions Of Angels...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 16:44
Maybe this should be in the Obscure Prog Facts thread but, while still at Charterhouse, Banks, Gabriel and Rutherford created a concept album on the whole Bible in ten songs. It ended up in the dust bin.
I think their allusions to religion has more to do with tradition than to actual belief.
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 17:08
It was already posted somewhere, but I was simply tempted to post it here again:

Yes lyrics to be added to the New Testament, similar to The Book Of Genesis Featuring Peter Gabriel
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 17:14
ShockedLOL^^^
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 17:16
Genesis are a bunch of Godwads.

/thread
Jörgemeister View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 17:27
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

From my blog here:

Look at him
Beware the future

Lyrics to "She is Beautiful" (same excerpt)

You know your just an able sum
To get more money
For them you're just a product
For me you're the one I love
(Baby)

Vanity arrived with fame
How she loved to see her name
She is beautiful, very beautiful
Look at her,
And she's a model

Perhaps it's just me that sees these lyrics as being more poignant and insightful.

very interesting Dean.
definetely better the way they end up. altough i am not a religious person, but "she is beautiful" seems too generic for me. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>