Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow did you discover ProgArchives?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 13:09
Igoogled progressive music and it happened!!!!!!Big smile
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 15:11
In the Prog Archives Forum! Prog Archives discovered me. Can't remember, but i was meant to find it somewhere in my web life... And i am glad i did.Wink
trackstoni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 02:31
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

What is "skulking"? Nevermind, I'll Google itWink

i'm gonna do the same << Google It !! >> LOL
Tracking Tracks of Rock
caretaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 05:51
It's kind of like stalking.
For6luca View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 08:32
Google.com Thumbs Up
El Pollo Guerrera View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 00:11
Google-fu.  I was looking for a list of song titles for a forum game at another site...  it looks like you have the same game going on here.

By the way, ever think of having a song title index on the main site?  They have on at Metal Archives aka Encyclopaedia Metallum.
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 11:16
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

How did everybody find this website in the first place? I'm sure this has been asked before at some point; did a quick search and didn't find anything. For me, in January 2006 I typed "can magma henry cow" into a search engine and one of the links was for the album page for Cow's In Praise Of Learning. I was tired of reading about Yes, Genesis and Dream Theater and wanted info on less well known prog acts. This website was a great resource of information to me; I discovered a lot of great music here.

Don't know if this is the right section for this. Feel free to move it if not. So, what about everybody else? How did you learn of the existence of ProgArchives?

Interesting question. I am not sure, but I was an avid reader of gepr (Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock) years ago, before the time of Internet forums, and maybe I stumbled on references to PA from there, but I am not sure. 

Edited by Rottenhat - January 05 2011 at 11:18
Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 11:29
I think I googled 'Progressive Rock Album Reviews" or something more specific like "Rush album reviews".

It was on the sixth or seventh page of results. That was a long time ago. It's much easier to find today.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 11:32
I was looking for bands that sounded like Dream Theater.
Harold-The-Barrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 11:53
I was googling the best Prog Albums to see if I was missing any gems I hadn't heard of.....turns out there was and here I amSmile
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 15:08
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I was looking for bands that sounded like Dream Theater.

Aha that was it.

I searched for Dream Theater Album Reviews.

EDIT: I can't believe I've been here for 6 years.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - January 05 2011 at 15:11
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Rush77 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 15:06
I ve been a big prog fan for a long time and wz lookin for a website dedicated to this kind of music and i did n im happy for finding itSmile
lickety-split View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 00:46
I just typed prog into google
spookytooth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 13:05
I found progarchives a couple years ago through another music website which I'm sure many of you frequent called rateyourmusic. I was looking through the prog rock genre and I came across some reviews that said "originally posted on progarchives.com". So, being curious I decided to check out the site. When I looked through the catalog, I was amazed. I started writing down bands I had never heard of before so I could find them later. Five minutes into first coming to this website I was hooked. Then the next day I wrote some reviews and joined the forums.
usoPreviewPopup
< style="height: 80px; width: 444px; border-top-color: rgba7, 0, 0, 0; border-left-color: rgba7, 0, 0, 0; border-right-color: rgba7, 0, 0, 0; border-bottom-color: rgba7, 0, 0, 0; border-top-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; padding-top: 2px; padding-right: 2px; padding-bottom: 2px; padding-left: 2px">< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="auto" ed="ed">Detect language< value="nl">Dutch< value="en">English< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="ko">Korean< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="nl">Dutch< value="en" ed="ed">English< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="ko">Korean< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish
English (auto-detected) » English

Would you like some Bailey's?
Mercinski View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 02:22
through google, i want to expand my knowledge, so here i am
AllP0werToSlaves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 11:44
I was looking for something on one prog band or another, and stumbled upon this wonderful database of a site! You guys do a good job keeping everything organized; I always have ProgArchives open in a tab somewhere on my browser!
EGE YURTUM View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 15:10
... some insufferable nerd told me about it... and being a closet insufferable nerd I came looking in the privacy of my own internet connection... seedy!!!
cirrrus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 06:45
I was tired of getting the same responses from local musicians about new and exciting sounds. All i kept hearing about from these people was crap like hell yeah, theory of a deadman,new metallica and all that, they clearly live in headbangers ball's vaccum.........so i started digging and found this through youtube i think.
hobocamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 08:27
I googled "A Passion Play," and when this site's reviews section came up I thought "maybe a progressive rock resource will have a more enlightened perspective." Unfortunately, the reviews pretty much mirrored Amazon and the other sites - people who don't get it feeling inclined to trash it or compare it to TAAB. Their loss.

I would guess at least 50% of the members found this site when they googled Pink Floyd. Don't get me wrong, I love the Floyds. Also, this site has helped me discover more of the classics and newer prog artists, so I enjoy the forums for the exchange of information that accidentally occurs here from time to time. 
Anirml View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 06:09
Some guy mentioned Progarchives.com in the comments on a Youtube video (can't remember what prog band it was).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>