Topic ClosedPasi Koivu's Psychedelic Eye

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pasi Koivu's Psychedelic Eye
    Posted: January 06 2011 at 06:28

Please seize the opportunity of getting familiar to the music of Pasi Koivu, a Finnish musician and devoted prog rock fan.
Some associations I personally got from his vivid sound are groups like Atomic Rooster and Black Widow, along with both modern electronic psych tones of Ozric Tentacles, Hidria Spacefolk and some Hawkwind records, all this synthesizing with both raw krautish tones and keyboard driven Brittish vintage rock style.
In my opinion there is pleasant surreal chaos in his keyboard driven sound, matching the psychedelic aesthetics.
However his music is not the usual hippie sitar-playing in the acid meadows, but the songs escape towards self-expressionism with the ideas and aesthetics learned from the musician's own explorations of both progressive and clasic rock masters.
The classical piano trainings are audible in the precise playing, and production of these songs from the home studio are done with consideration.
Most warmly recommended by yours truly.
odinalcatraz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 06:52
Big smile
At last someone has found this guy! What he does is very unique and he belongs on Progarchives. I think many would enjoy what he does. I personally think he should officially release some music and get hi self listed on here. Clap
Brilliant!
http://www.corvusstone.com
Sylvie M Durette View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 07:22
Pasi Koivu's music is nothing but amazing.He has quite the collection of different psychedelic music.
I'm the proud owner of all of his cd's :)
I highly recommend his music to everyone.I've seen many positive comments on his sites on facebook,myspace.I'm not the only person who enjoys his sound.
I would love to one day hear his music in movies.
He's a very talented musician with quite the imagination...
I'm a music lyricist and also very passionate about music.
I've written for many bands across this planet and I've had collaborations with some well known musicians.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 10:00

This is psychedelic music at its best for me. Not for the fainthearted or softer prog listeners. If you like the loud, original and weird this is for you. Original clever never heard before notes and sounds, new sounds are almost impossible to none to produce, this album managed to expand the boundaries with more complex song structures key and time signature changes, modal melodies and drones. It employs a variety of musical elements especially gothic heavy metal. I feel some influences of Vincent Crane (Atomic Rooster's keyboardist) also there's a bit of Richard Wright on "Penguin's Walk" track. Somehow this music drags me in and enhances the listening and musical experience.

Edited by Kati - January 06 2011 at 10:07
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 10:16
Eetu, this is some really cool music, thanks for posting this. I'll be listening to more after work today, but so far, I'm quite taken by some of the tunes I heard. 
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 17:38
Clap

Wonderful psych explosion! Cool
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 09:08
I am listening over and over to your new track Confession, Pasi :) don't know quite what to say, it's unexpectedly softer more romantic church organ vangelis type psychedelic with the Pasi genius signature prog cords :)) Nice, I didn't expect to hear this as it's totally different from your other pieces, however it's very nice indeed!!! Confession - Valentines Day Psychedelic xxxxxxx
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2011 at 21:48
My review. Cool

Lucid Dreams (2011) - PASI KOIVU PSYCHEDELIC EYE (Artwork by Eetu Pellonpää)

Exactly this album is a psychedelic picture freely and flexibly drawn under Pasi's altered state of mind, and terrific psychedelic artwork upon the sleeve produced by Eetu Pellonpää must upregulate Pasi's work much more.

Anyway, what a magnificent kaleidoscopic space in Pasi's flexible brain is. This psychedelia might be drawn and created just as Pasi's eyes, nose, ears, skin, and undefined sensory nerves could feel, and just as Pasi's mouth, vocal codes, hands, feet, and unexplainable sound launchers could shoot, I imagine.

Guess he has got much influenced by various music scenes and artistic incarnations - especially Oriental culture (by the way, people in the North Europe may be familiar with Oriental cultural effects - feel synchronicity between them and us, at least for me). Very trenchant ethnic sandstorm blows our brain away in the sixth track "Drops In The Ocean", even with very soft and smooth percussive rhythms and beautiful synthesizer cosmic moments. On the contrary, we can touch a risky, eccentric colour in some cold, chilling sound spreaders like "Mushroom Dance".

Pasi's play and sound structure cannot be felt exquisite but very rough and straightforward - may not be perfect as for his playing skill, but who cares? He visually and musically exerts his state of mind, with some confusions and unexpected incidents. The first track "Infant Galaxy" has a tremendous groove, just like his non-concrete pleasure under the sky, glittering space (I consider he could show obviously this atmosphere with such a fuzzy, rough technique). And listen, the title track has a hearty star crystallized by his electric piano solo and floating synthesizer flowers upon the backyard - lovely one indeed.

The last one "Heavy Butterflies" can be mentioned as Pasi's psychedelia itself methinks. Under uncontrollable synthesizer noises with definite rampancy, his heavy keyboard flapping of butterfly wings goes ahead against such an adverse circumstances. The 20 minute tune is a bit tough for me, but simultaneously can let me know what and how Pasi considers and plays forward. Yes, with this longest stuff we can analyze Pasi KOIVU Psychedelic Eye and the unexplainable dreamy world. Apparent difficulty we can feel, use our brain power for, and finally grab something - upon his long road to psychedelia.

Lastly, please let me say that another psychedelia artwork upon this sleeve was created by Eetu my friend. I can see psychedelic upliftment, upregulation among their collaboration.
 Post Reply Post Reply