Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIron Maiden

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which is your Favorite Cd ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [3.70%]
4 [7.41%]
5 [9.26%]
4 [7.41%]
16 [29.63%]
5 [9.26%]
1 [1.85%]
13 [24.07%]
4 [7.41%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2011 at 11:42
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son/Somewhere in Time. Sorry, but is impossible to decide between these two.
Baby Snakes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 21:56
Piece of Time for me, and it's got my favorite song, To Tame a Land!
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 22:43
The only sure thing is which are the worse IM albums: No Prayer for the Dying, Piece of Mind, and the last one (The Final Frontier). 

I vote for Somewhere in time, followed by 7th son, followed by X-factor and Powerslave
overmatik View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 07:24
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

The only sure thing is which are the worse IM albums: No Prayer for the Dying, Piece of Mind, and the last one (The Final Frontier). 

I vote for Somewhere in time, followed by 7th son, followed by X-factor and Powerslave

Finally we agree on something. The X Factor is criminally underrated.Clap
"Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity. Calculate what we will or will not tolerate. Desperate to control all and everything. Unable to forgive your scarlet letterman."
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 15:15
I like Piece of Mind... Oh, not all the songs (For me, "Quest for Fire", "Revelations" are rather insipid), but I can't dislike an album including "Where Eagles Dare" or "To Tame A Land" or even "Still Life".
But I never have been able to like the X Factor : there were... interesting ideas on this album, but the voice of Blaze Bayley...
Hanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 11:53

What's so bad about Piece of Mind?

I haven't managed to get all the way through the last album, even though I got it like six months ago.  It just sounds tedious.  Maybe it's great, so I'll withhold my opinions on that.

My favorite album, though, is definitely Seventh Son, followed by Somewhere in Time.  I find Somewhere in Time underrated--the songs on that album were all so well-constructed and consistently good, I can't think of a single dud.
The Block View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 14:28
I voted for 7th Son, but I'm surprised at the low number of ratings that Somewhere in time has gotten.
Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp!

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 12:06
Originally posted by Hanyou Hanyou wrote:

I haven't managed to get all the way through the last album, even though I got it like six months ago.  It just sounds tedious.  Maybe it's great, so I'll withhold my opinions on that.

My favorite album, though, is definitely Seventh Son, followed by Somewhere in Time.  I find Somewhere in Time underrated--the songs on that album were all so well-constructed and consistently good, I can't think of a single dud.

I just think it has only one good song, The Trooper. I don't like it too much. But it's less bad than the other two I mentioned... 
Hanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 13:19

Originally posted by Hanyou Hanyou wrote:

I just think it has only one good song, The Trooper. I don't like it too much. But it's less bad than the other two I mentioned... 

Hmm, I never felt that way.  Where Eagles Dare is a great opener (I might actually like it more than Aces High), Flight of Icarus, Die with Your Boots On, The Trooper, and Sun and Steel are fun (especially Flight of Icarus, which I listen to a ton), and Revelations and To Tame a Land are just spectacular.  The only not-so-great song is Still Life, and it's not bad by any stretch of the imagination.  So that leaves Quest for Fire, which is admittedly stupid as hell.

The sentiments you express, though, apply to my listening experience for Number of the Beast.  I love the title track and Hallowed Be Thy Name (the latter of which is arguably Iron Maiden's best song), but none of the rest really do much for me.  Especially Run to the Hills, which has to be the most overrated song in Maiden's catalog.  Good opening, but after that it just falls apart.  I find myself listening to NotB less than any other Maiden album, save maybe Killers, Virtual XI, and NPFTD.

To each his own, I guess.  Good to see Somewhere in Time is someone's favorite.

Edited by Hanyou - February 07 2011 at 13:21
ThaNuke View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 21:58
I like the gritty sound that the first 3 albums had, but most of the pieces they wrote later on seemed more "finished". When you compare Run to the Hills to The Trooper, The Trooper just sounds much more clean. I also noticed this change with Rush.
WON'T YOU COME INTO MY ROOM

I WANNA SHOW YOU ALL MY WARES
TLM170 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 09:07
7TH son!! my favorite!!
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 15:40
Brave New World.

All the songs are awesome ("Mercenary" not THAT awesome maybe, but it's a great song anyway).

I also love A Matter Of Life And Death, nobody mentioned it. It has two of Maiden's best songs, "Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg" and "For The Greater Good of God".
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 19:29

Tough Choice but for me:

1.Number Of The Beast
2.Powerslave
3.Piece Of Mind
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 16:49
Powerslave has always been my favorite. But i hold 7th Son in high regard
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 07:46
I dug out the Brave New World C.D earlier and it is absolutely brilliant but absolutely ruined for me by a horrible snare sound all the way through that is mixed too loud on the whole album. Musically amazing though and one of the best 'comeback' albums of all time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123