49 [28.65%]
22 [12.87%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 00:43
I like Camel more, but I simply think that the two bands are not comparable even if they have shared Mel Collins.
I'm wondering what could have been if Ferguson was replaced by Greg Lake instead of Richard Sinclair...
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 05:11
Camel by far, I'm not a KC fan.
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 05:35
King Crimson vs. X

King Crimson wins. Evil Smile
Gentlegiantprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 05:43
King Crimson, but I like both.
Let the maps of war be drawn !

http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 06:10
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

My favourite band versus one of my least favourites.

Camel will undoubtedly lose this poll (this site has an abnormal number of KC (and VDGG) fanboys compared to the wider prog community) but they get my vote.

Surely King Crimson has always had a bigger fanbase than Camel? After all King Crimson are premier league whilst Camel are second division.

But I will probably vote Camel. I find it hard to decide these days.

Not so, in fact. In the late 60s/early 70s, Crimson gained a lot of fans with their first album and lost them very quickly with their second and subsequent offerings. By the end of my time at Cambridge (1973), Crimson were a spent force - we thought about booking them but their gig attendances were too poor to justify it. Camel never quite made the first division in terms of sales but were much more popular than Crimson from 74 - 77. (They still are outside this site in the other prog communities I move in). Crimson were never ever up there with Genesis, ELP, Yes, Tull and ELP, the real 1st div.

My question is: was Genesis in the early days (Peter Gabriel era) really a "first division" prog band? From the little live footage I've seen from that era, they seemed to be playing the same kind of small to medium concert halls (1000-2000 people in capacity) that KC also played in. I know Genesis got big around 1975-77, but that's not what I'm interested in.

I am a little coloured in my view because I have never left university (as student and lecturer) since I went up to Cambridge in 1970, so my view is very student-centric. Genesis were darlings of the student movement in the early/mid 70s but it is true that their early albums, whilst selling well, never quite scaled the commercial heights of Yes or ELP at the time. They really only reached true supergroup status when they went mainstream - after Hackett left. But they always were considerably bigger than KC, Gentle Giant and Camel, who were near the top of the div 2 bands in terms of size.

Thanks for the answer, it confirms what I knew. I think we could talk a first tier (popularity wise) consisting of Yes, ELP and maybe Tull too (I don't know much about their popularity), and a second tier (this, of course, used not in a derogatory fashion) consisting of Genesis, Camel, KC, GG etc. This, for the early 70s. By mid 70s, when KC were ceasing to exist, and when Genesis were starting their ascension towards the first tier, YES and ELP were already playing to huge crowds, comparable to those from concerts of classic rock's greats. Seeing YES playing in 1975 at QPR in front of what seems to be a crowd of 40-50000 people is shocking, now.

Edited by harmonium.ro - January 14 2011 at 06:11
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 06:29

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Camel will undoubtedly lose this poll (this site has an abnormal number of KC (and VDGG) fanboys compared to the wider prog community) but they get my vote.

Surely King Crimson has always had a bigger fanbase than Camel? After all King Crimson are premier league whilst Camel are second division.

But I will probably vote Camel. I find it hard to decide these days.

Not so, in fact. In the late 60s/early 70s, Crimson gained a lot of fans with their first album and lost them very quickly with their second and subsequent offerings. By the end of my time at Cambridge (1973), Crimson were a spent force - we thought about booking them but their gig attendances were too poor to justify it. Camel never quite made the first division in terms of sales but were much more popular than Crimson from 74 - 77. (They still are outside this site in the other prog communities I move in). Crimson were never ever up there with Genesis, ELP, Yes, Tull and ELP, the real 1st div.

My question is: was Genesis in the early days (Peter Gabriel era) really a "first division" prog band? From the little live footage I've seen from that era, they seemed to be playing the same kind of small to medium concert halls (1000-2000 people in capacity) that KC also played in. I know Genesis got big around 1975-77, but that's not what I'm interested in.

I am a little coloured in my view because I have never left university (as student and lecturer) since I went up to Cambridge in 1970, so my view is very student-centric. Genesis were darlings of the student movement in the early/mid 70s but it is true that their early albums, whilst selling well, never quite scaled the commercial heights of Yes or ELP at the time. They really only reached true supergroup status when they went mainstream - after Hackett left. But they always were considerably bigger than KC, Gentle Giant and Camel, who were near the top of the div 2 bands in terms of size.

Thanks for the answer, it confirms what I knew. I think we could talk a first tier (popularity wise) consisting of Yes, ELP and maybe Tull too (I don't know much about their popularity), and a second tier (this, of course, used not in a derogatory fashion) consisting of Genesis, Camel, KC, GG etc. This, for the early 70s. By mid 70s, when KC were ceasing to exist, and when Genesis were starting their ascension towards the first tier, YES and ELP were already playing to huge crowds, comparable to those from concerts of classic rock's greats. Seeing YES playing in 1975 at QPR in front of what seems to be a crowd of 40-50000 people is shocking, now.

No. Genesis were not second tier witn Camel. You ignored my answer anyway. 
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 06:45
But you said yourself Genesis was not a stadium band like the top ones - that's the exact same thing I'm saying. Do you find it disrespectful to Genesis to put them in the same category with Camel? LOL
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 06:58

But you said yourself Genesis was not a stadium band like the top ones - that's the exact same thing I'm saying. Do you find it disrespectful to Genesis to put them in the same category with Camel? LOL

All I know from that time is that they were a far bigger band than Camel. I can say no more than that.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 06:59
Even before the massive commercial success Genesis had with Duke and beyond, Genesis were selling far more albums than Camel, and playing to far bigger audiences. It is simply not true to state that the bands were on a par in that sense.

Thinking back to the early to late 1970's, the leaders commercially were The Who, Led Zeppelin, Yes, and The Rolling Stones, with, I suppose, Deep Purple a smidgen behind. In terms of football leagues, these were the perennial leaders of the table, the premiership contenders year after year, a la Man. Utd, Chelsea, and Arsenal in the football now. Pink Floyd joined that category following DSOTM.

Genesis I would put into the premiership mid table category. A group vying for the top, but taking a long time to get there.

Commercially, Camel were most definitely in a league below Genesis. The Championship now, if you will. King Crimson, by the way, were also in that category. After the massive success of the first two albums, they became far more of what were called cult status.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Pawn Heart View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 10:44
Camel are more than good, but nothing compares to KC imho, except 1/2 bands.
"If a man is not willing to take some risk for his opinions, either his opinions are no good or he is no good"
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 12:13

For sure, you are not a fanboy

Reviews and Ratings of ECLECTIC PROG

<< Back to member home page

37 ratings/reviews total  Sort by By ratings | Alphabetically | Chronologically(default)

2 starsKING CRIMSON In The Court Of The Crimson King | review
1 starsVAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Pawn Hearts | review
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 13:35
i'm a great KC and VDGG fan , i saw them under lysergic influence but i must admit ther's kind of addiction to them on PA LOL
Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 13:35
Originally posted by altaeria altaeria wrote:

this site has an abnormal number of KC (and VDGG) fanboys compared to the wider prog community

So... Does this so-called  "wider prog community"  consider bands like KC and VDGG to be overrated??
Do they think that other legendary acts such as Yes, Genesis, and ELP are also undeservedly over-hyped??

I suppose all those REAL prog fans are too cool to hang around THIS site and enlighten us.
Do they have their own online community?  Can you pleeeeeeease post a link to their website?

I'm curious to hear about all the amazing revolutionary prog acts that THEY rightfully acknowledge as such. 
Thanks!
Clap

Indeed. This argument from authority is a logical fallacy; surely we deserve better from a Cambridge lecturer and physicist. Geek
MonsterMagnet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 07:31
The King, by far
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 07:40
Hats off to Camel! I presumed them a worse result, frankly speaking. I hope there are minimum malice votes (it means in this case "anything just not Crimson").

Edited by Gandalff - January 15 2011 at 07:40
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 07:44
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

vicious Clap

Edited by MonsterMagnet - January 15 2011 at 07:45
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 09:27
Originally posted by MonsterMagnet MonsterMagnet wrote:

vicious Clap
Sid?
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 10:49
Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

Originally posted by MonsterMagnet MonsterMagnet wrote:

vicious Clap
Sid?

John Simon Ritchie Big smile?  well done Thumbs Up

akajazzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 02:03
I would have said KC for years.  But in the last few years I've grown to love those 70s Camel albums a whole lot.  Plus they made a couple very good ones in the 90s.  Great band.    Camel it is.
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 02:11
CAMEL, OF COURSE!!!  What a question!!
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>