Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMountains Come Out of the Sky

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2012 at 18:21
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Just got this.  There is a major unforgivable error.  The album pics fot PT are pictures of floyde albums!

I know! Sack the proofreader! LOLThat was bad but a reprint will be in the pipeliine surely in order to include VDGG and a more informative RPI and RIO or Zeuhl section.

Is this true or do you just hope so?

i assume so as there were errors. But it could also include extra chapters. In any case it is still one of the better prog books covering a wide spectrum of the scene.

Are there any others this comprehensive and lavishly illustrated?

JeanFrame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2012 at 09:43
Originally posted by DiamondDog DiamondDog wrote:

I was disappointed the book didn't have VDGG in any depth; also nothing of 1-2-3/Clouds and their crucial role. Was that edited out too?

Probably it was; paying editors like to stick to the main main mainstream and dont let the fiction get in the way of the truth.
NickHall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2012 at 07:02
1-2-3 excised from the record yet again?
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 06:56
I just loaded  quick look at this book if you like to seee more

DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 10:44
It's a nice book, well presented, well written. Unfortunately, it panders to the mainstream's idea of what constitutes prog and its history.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 16:07
Something went wrong with my clip above

I will try loading again

MACB View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 17:18
Blimey, I got a copy today and was shocked when flicking through to page 230 to see a line up Pink Floyd albums instead of Porcupine Tree. I hope this is the only mistake. Otherwise looks like a good read.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 12:36
Yes, it's quite good for general populist stuff about Prog. It misses out important bands like Vander Graf, and crucial influences like 1-2-3/Clouds, but it's all very well set out with great photos etc.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 12:43
The author has already explained the absence of VDGG, and mentioned 1-2-3 Clouds:
Originally posted by WMR WMR wrote:

Hello, Prog Archives.

How are you?

I wanted to chime in on the interesting thread that’s evolved based on my book, Mountains Come out of the Sky. Allow me to say that I really enjoyed putting the book together and I’m pleased to see a discussion of it. I'm proud of the work and hope some of your are enjoying the book.

Just to let you know, the idea of Mountains was to present a history of the “genre” through bios of (most of) the main bands that have had an impact on the mainstream psyche.

As one poster pointed out, I'm American. I have a certain perspective re: this. 
I’ve been writing about prog rock for virtually 20 years and, specifically for this book, I spoke with 300 people; 200 people of that group show up in print, raising the flag in one form or another for their respective bands and musical contributions.

Some will disagree with the choices that were made (some very tough choices were made FOR me), of course, but I think in large part I’ve succeeded in celebrating the genre. I know what this music has meant to me over the years and, all things considered, I’m happy with the end result.

Just to give one example of the types of dilemmas I was dealing with throughout the process: by a PA poster’s own admission, Clouds/1-2-3 isn’t really categorized as prog, but PROTO-prog. The definition of “real” prog (whatever this means) seems to change depending on the person who’s speaking/posting. So, it was a lot to think about, logically account for, and contend with during the three years I was putting together this bios-heavy book that, I knew, would contain a limited amount of pages. Having said this, I was more than happy to include a gracious Billy of Clouds in the book. I'm glad I did. I enjoyed corresponding with him. 

As is true for most books, a good deal of info was cut from Mountains, including a chapter on VDGG, among other elements. As I’ve said in interviews, it’s a near miracle that a major music publisher even decided to back and then publish a book on prog rock. So, I’m grateful for the opportunity to do what I do. Given all the challenges, I loved putting it together. Again, I wanted the book to be a celebration. I’m hoping some of you view it in a similar light.

Thanks for giving me a voice on this board and to all the supportive words here. 

Be well, PA.

Will Romano

Author

Mountains Come out of the Sky

Big Boss Man

Incurable Blues

Edited by Stool Man - March 21 2013 at 12:45
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 15:34
I know, I did see that explanation previously, but an explanation doesn't make it a satisfactory situation. Then again, I've already praised the good things about the book.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 15:38
^ You are saying you can't put up with the author's intent for the book?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 15:43
According to the author himself, his intent was not fulfilled, due in part to forces beyond his control. I enjoyed the book, but that doesn't mean I can't criticise somewhat glaring omissions. No-one is perfect!
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 07:20
I'd like to see him publish the entire content of all those 300 interviews - that'd be a terrific book on its own
rotten hound of the burnie crew
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 14:02
Hi,

I'm probably going to get this eventually, but again ... the main issue with the discussion of this subject, is that, AGAIN, the emphasys is all on the English groups, and if you check out the lyrics, this was not an English-exclusive scene, and it was spread out all over the world, which is STILL not accepted, understood, or discussed in most of these "progressive" books, which makes the whole thing sound accidental, and something that all bands copied the London concepts ... and that is not true, never was, and never will be!

But we can not get over the fact that the media was stronger in America and England that helped these things get so big, that everyone now considers them the god-given rightful heroes of some progressive ideals ... never mind the lyrics, because they are not progressive ... they are stupid, idiotic, and opinionated, but the music is progressive and the lyrics are not!

Look ... how would you like to live in a different country and be totally ignored and you did just as good work as any of those bands in London? And some of those bands in London were over rated, loud, and had as much weight in their work as a pound of nothing! In fact, some of them being considered "progressive" is an insult to the term! ... but them ... definition is not important and skewed to the left or right!

Please stop the ethnocentricity of this "progressive" music. We have lists here, that are around the world, like crazy, and London is not as big as the world! And the art world didn't die just because London was alive. So, for your predilection, Tokyo sucked, Paris sucked, Germany sucked, NY sucked, Buenos Aires sucked, Havana sucked, Rome sucked .... want me to go on? Those people never existed or played music? Are you insane?

And above all, film and theater and literature was way more progressive in many other places, than London ... though London had the best theaters in the world and the loudest advertising on the arts! I suppose you could say that helped the music ... a whole lot ... but those folks discussing "progressive" were not intelligent enough to have seen, admired, appreciated, other facets of life and living and the arts, to have any idea ... what "progressive" even meant!

Edited by moshkito - March 23 2013 at 14:19
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123