Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: early memories/music associations
    Posted: January 15 2011 at 16:40
when i was 14 [1975] my neighbour `graham carre` gave me a tape to listen to
it was `sabbath` volume 4 & paranoid
i put on me headphones and settled back eating a plateful of `coconut maccaroons`
i was spellbound
and to this day `maccaroons` , the smell / taste evokes this listening pleasure
ie ., lounge / june / nice airy day etc
thats for me
as for you
what memory do you associate with a captivating early years listening experience
do you remember the `geezer` who put you on to a band [again early days] even tho` you never saw them again and knew only partially so

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 17:04
When I was 16 years old I heard for first time(officially)Opeth(my favorite band if you don't remember).The tracks were Harvest and Isolation years.But(unofficially)I had heard Opeth on a greek tv show for metal music(it's called Tv war)when I was 12 or 13 years old I think(maybe younger).I had seen the live video clip of Deliverance(from Metalmania).
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
KABSA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 17:31
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

When I was 16 years old I heard for first time(officially)Opeth(my favorite band if you don't remember).The tracks were Harvest and Isolation years.But(unofficially)I had heard Opeth on a greek tv show for metal music(it's called Tv war)when I was 12 or 13 years old I think(maybe younger).I had seen the live video clip of Deliverance(from Metalmania).

can you remember the `room`  the `time of year` and the `weather`
and what `food or drink` do you recall
post a picture that reminds you of this experience
cheers ., ian
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 00:36
I hate to admit it but when I was about 11-12 (and not into Western music in a big way), watching a concert of Celine Dion made a big impression on me. Dead  Glad I never followed up on that big impression.  Also, Karen Briggs at Yanni live in Acropolis. Again, ditto as Celine.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 05:24
I will tell you about the official first time that I heard Opeth.It was an afternoon of 2006.I think it was February(I'm not sure).I was in my bedroom and I was listening to my mp3 player.  
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 07:44
I have related this story before in the PA, but I'll repeat it here because the topic is slightly different. When I was a toddler my parents put a radio in my bedroom so I could go to sleep each night listening to it. The reasoning behind this was simple and logical - most parents put their kids to bed in silence ("ssh! the baby's asleep", "don't wake the baby" etc.) so any sudden noise will wake them - my Dad thought this was a daft idea and from the outset reversed that, sending me and my sister to bed with the sound of the radio playing so that he, my Mum and all their friends could continue being noisy downstairs without disturbing us. I used this same approach when my daughter was young and it works.

So my absolute earliest music memories was of listening to Radio Luxembourg in the late 50s early 60s on one of these:

and seeing an old steam radio (valve/tube) such as this will invariably invoke memories for me. When I was a little older (5 or 6) my older cousin would give me her old copies of the Radio Luxembourg magazine (Fab 208), like this one:

Which I would read in bed by the light of the illuminated tuning dial of the radio.

What?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 08:03
Great story Dean, and great thread idea!  

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 08:10
15 years old and sitting in my cousin's room with friends listening to the Black Sabbath debut album. My cousin got the bright idea to position the speakers next to the front door and shortly after placing candy into the trick or treater's bags, he would start the album off with the sound of the rain, thunder, and bell hoping to scare the crap out of kids. It feels strange thinking of this today because during that time there was yet to be a term invented called "Heavy Metal".  Then my sister's hippie friends later that night would ask me what the hell I was suppose to be doing listening to garbage like Black Sabbath? They were listening to Mike Bloomfield, Paul Butterfield, Electric Flag, Canned Heat, and Jefferson Airplane. Everything smelled like pot and meatball sandwiches from the deli.

I ran away from this environment because my parents scared the crap out of me convincing me,...no doubt, it would be dangerous to hang out with these people.. However, I indulged just enough to get that education of the 60's at a time when I was too young to be excepted. Between ages 12 and 15, I often found myself staring up at very tall hippies who almost reached the ceiling of our kitchen. Many of them later, sat in chairs institutionalized in a mental ward because they did not know their limitations on the consumption of LSD. Timothy Leary had stated on his death bed that LSD was good for everyone but, I witnessed quite the opposite.....watching hippie friends being driven off in the meat wagon to the vegetable farm. In any event, it all smelt of pot and meatball sandwiches. 

Edited by TODDLER - January 16 2011 at 08:12
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 10:08
Somewhat like Dean, as a youngster in the early 70s I had a small radio that I used to take to bed to listen to hockey games, and eventually I started listen to the AM pop station.....radio looked like these kinda

http://byemylife.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/translot4.jpg

Then, my parents got me this portable turntable for Christmas and I began to listen to my older siblings late 60s pop singles, I was hooked on music after that.  Check out the "groovy" pattern on the top....my first experience with trippy designLOL

KABSA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 10:34
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I have related this story before in the PA, but I'll repeat it here because the topic is slightly different. When I was a toddler my parents put a radio in my bedroom so I could go to sleep each night listening to it. The reasoning behind this was simple and logical - most parents put their kids to bed in silence ("ssh! the baby's asleep", "don't wake the baby" etc.) so any sudden noise will wake them - my Dad thought this was a daft idea and from the outset reversed that, sending me and my sister to bed with the sound of the radio playing so that he, my Mum and all their friends could continue being noisy downstairs without disturbing us. I used this same approach when my daughter was young and it works.
So my absolute earliest music memories was of listening to Radio Luxembourg in the late 50s early 60s on one of these:
and seeing an old steam radio (valve/tube) such as this will invariably invoke memories for me. When I was a little older (5 or 6) my older cousin would give me her old copies of the Radio Luxembourg magazine (Fab 208), like this one:
Which I would read in bed by the light of the illuminated tuning dial of the radio.

cheers dean
aye i did indeed use a tranny circa 1977 [+ glass of milk and cheese] listening to john peels punky era

KABSA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 10:42
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

15 years old and sitting in my cousin's room with friends listening to the Black Sabbath debut album. My cousin got the bright idea to position the speakers next to the front door and shortly after placing candy into the trick or treater's bags, he would start the album off with the sound of the rain, thunder, and bell hoping to scare the crap out of kids. It feels strange thinking of this today because during that time there was yet to be a term invented called "Heavy Metal".  Then my sister's hippie friends later that night would ask me what the hell I was suppose to be doing listening to garbage like Black Sabbath? They were listening to Mike Bloomfield, Paul Butterfield, Electric Flag, Canned Heat, and Jefferson Airplane. Everything smelled like pot and meatball sandwiches from the deli.
I ran away from this environment because my parents scared the crap out of me convincing me,...no doubt, it would be dangerous to hang out with these people.. However, I indulged just enough to get that education of the 60's . Many of them later, sat in chairs institutionalized in a mental ward because they did not know their limitations on the consumption of LSD. Timothy Leary had stated on his death bed that LSD was good for everyone but, I witnessed quite the opposite.....watching hippie friends being driven off in the meat wagon to the vegetable farm. In any event, it all smelt of pot and meatball sandwiches. 

indeedy so 
syd barrett et al
i used to indulge ., but ageing sanity told me to lay off the chemicals
meatballs it is then [sandwich stylee] piccy will be the best i can find!
KABSA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 10:47
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Somewhat like Dean, as a youngster in the early 70s I had a small radio that I used to take to bed to listen to hockey games, and eventually I started listen to the AM pop station.....radio looked like these kinda
Then, my parents got me this portable turntable for Christmas and I began to listen to my older siblings late 60s pop singles, I was hooked on music after that.  Check out the "groovy" pattern on the top....my first experience with trippy designLOL

again a feast for the memorial eye
as a tribute i`ve just endured a whole lp by `joan baez` her 2nd lp [original usa vanguard issue tho`]
not as bad as i thought it would be
now simon&garfunkel `sounds of silence` 2nd pressing uk copy
hav`nt heard this one in a long time!

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 11:09
There was this 33-1/3'd that my parents had, which I recall having a jaggedy spiral pattern on the inner label.  It was kind of odd for them to have what I vaguely recall as being avant-garde and percussive.  We're talking pre-1972.  Maybe it was just a weird dream I had or something. 

One song that haunted me for many years before I found out what it was was a Grieg piece that I didn't find out what it was until a college professor played a copy of it: Peer Gynt Suite No 1 -a. Now for you fellow oldsters, it was played on this record top TV like thingy that ran a filmstrip.  If anyone can name it, I will be impressed. 

Speaking of pre '72, there was this radio show called Name It And Claim It where you would get a free 45 if you were the first to call in.  I remember winning Boots Randolph's Yackety Sax.  (don't call back) LOL

My first turntable was this gray fold up model with its own speakers.  And I used to have an AM/FM mono transistor radio.  Hocus Focus Pocus got some play on the air back in the day.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 16 2011 at 11:17
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 11:22
My earliest musical memory was when I was about 5 years old and playing on the carpet with my toy cars when I heard Penny Lane by the Beatles from our old fashioned wireless (the 1967 edition of BluetoothWink)

I honestly thought that the musicians who produced these intoxicating sounds were tiny little men who lived inside the radio. (and sometimes drove the little cars I happily played with)

Years later I discovered that Ronnie James Dio was neither a member of the Beatles or a Matchbox racing driver.

(Shame)

KABSA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 11:47
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

There was this 33-1/3'd that my parents had, which I recall having a jaggedy spiral pattern on the inner label.  It was kind of odd for them to have what I vaguely recall as being avant-garde and percussive.  We're talking pre-1972.  Maybe it was just a weird dream I had or something. 
One song that haunted me for many years before I found out what it was was a Grieg piece that I didn't find out what it was until a college professor played a copy of it: Peer Gynt Suite No 1 -a. Now for you fellow oldsters, it was played on this record top TV like thingy that ran a filmstrip.  If anyone can name it, I will be impressed. 
Speaking of pre '72, there was this radio show called Name It And Claim It where you would get a free 45 if you were the first to call in.  I remember winning Boots Randolph's Yackety Sax.  (don't call back) LOL
My first turntable was this gray fold up model with its own speakers.  And I used to have an AM/FM mono transistor radio.

filmstrip record deck [interesting]
these pics may serve the purpose for this thread

soz for the small pics ., dont know how to enlarge them !

Edited by KABSA - January 16 2011 at 11:58
KABSA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 11:53
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

My earliest musical memory was when I was about 5 years old and playing on the carpet with my toy cars when I heard Penny Lane by the Beatles from our old fashioned wireless (the 1967 edition of BluetoothWink)

cars are it !

Edited by KABSA - January 16 2011 at 11:56
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 02:08
I remember when i was a kid, my older brother came home with some Pink Floyd mix-tape and played One of These Days, scared the living crap out of me. LOL

me and my brother would often listen to music before going to sleep, we often fell asleep listening to Testament's Practice What You Preach. LOL

I have lots of stories, i'll get back to that. Tongue
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 04:24
I remember being a 4 year old sitting in the back seat of my Dad's VW Bug in the mid 1960s driving around downtown Toronto (where we lived at the time) and was filled with joy every time Petula Clark's hit "Downtown" would come on the radio-this is my earliest musical memory.
                Another early memory is from about a year or two later, again in Toronto, and going to Nursery School, and singing "Puff The Magic Dragon" with the other kids.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 05:34
The Beatles were my earliest music memories.  The earliest songs I can remember knowing were Yellow Submarine (which came out when I was three) and Penny Lane (which came out when I was four) The earliest television I can remember watching was The Beatles performing Hey Jude.  For many years I was unable identify what programme it had been on, but later research told me it was the David Frost Show (which was shown when I was five).
I probably heard lots of other music by lots of other people, but I don't remember any of that.

In July 1969 my dad got me out of bed to watch Neil Armstrong walking on the moon.  In recent years I've discovered that the BBC had Pink Floyd playing live in the tv studio during that broadcast (a piece known as "Moonhead" on bootlegs).  This was several years before I knowingly heard Pink Floyd

Edited by Stool Man - February 16 2015 at 05:37
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 07:29
After speaking with other people on early childhood memories it seems I am better than some at recalling early events fairly vividly. I can certainly remember things from before my kid sister was born (she is 18 months younger than I), I was dispatched to my aunt's the day she was born and came home with my cousin's TT-gauge train set... needless to say I was more impressed by that than a baby sister. Before she was born Dad had an ex-police Velocette LE200 motorcycle, (he filled the hole left in the fairing left by the removal of the blue police lamp with an RAC badge, which was also blue), this he fitted with a child-seat from a bicycle and the three of us (mum, dad and I) used to ride down the A127 Arterial Road from Southend-on-sea to a cafe called the Blinking Owl that was popular with Rockers at the time (1957-59). Here I would listen to Bill Hayley and the other rock'n'roll favourites, but Rock Around The Clock was invariably the one I'd always ask for first, and anything by Lonnie Donnegan. Much later, when Dad had bought his first car (a sit-up-and-beg Ford Popular) we would still go to the Blinking Owl to hang out with his Rocker mates. To listen to the new-fangled transistor radio in the car he fitted it with a 12-foot long ex-army tank aerial and on our first visit to the cafe in this car the aerial took-out the overhead power cable that fed from the main cafe to an out-building. 

We didn't have a TV until 1963, though I did get to watch it occasionally at my maternal grandmother's house, if she would let me, which wasn't always a given. So we listened to the radio a lot, the Ekco radio I showed earlier was the model we had, it was made in Southend by E K Cole limited and from a young age I knew where to find Radio Luxembourg and the Light Programme on the dial. One of the earliest memories I have is listening to the Goons, though quite what I got out of it at such a young age I'm not sure, I guess it was the silly voices and mad sound FX that appealed. 

As I say, the TV arrived in 1963, this was a rental with a built-in radio, it was  fitted with a coin-box - you could listen to the radio for free but to watch TV you needed to feed it with coins. [Now as I type this I realise this is probably why Nan was so stingy with my viewing time when we visited her]. As times were tough back then, TV was heavily rationed and we didn't watch it all the time, Sunday lunchtimes was always radio time (Two-way Family Favourites, The Jimmy Clitheroe show, Around the Horn, etc.) and later in the afternoon we could watch TV until Sunday Night At The London Palladium had finished and then it was time for bed and Radio Luxembourg in my bedroom. Sunday Night at the London Palladium was definitely the highlight of the week and that gave me my first visual memory of The Beatles, The Shadows, The Dave Clarke Five and all the other beat-groups that I'd heard on the radio. The other must-watch programme for music at that time was Crackerjack ("It's Friday, it's five-to-five ... it's Crackerjack!"). One band from the Crackerjack days I remember seeing on TV was The Honeycombs (with Honey Lantree on drums), though they could have been on Ready Steady Go!, Thank Your Lucky Stars, Top Of The Pops or even Sunday Night at the London Palladium. Juke Box Jury was another music program we'd be allowed to watch regularily and I remember watching the episode where all four Beatles were the jury.

1963 coincided with the first broadcast of Dr Who, something I also have vivid memories of watching and being scared out of my skin. Not only did that start my love for Science Fiction, it also kicked-off my love for Sci-Fi soundtracks and FX, BBC Radiophonic Workshop and then, as the 70s dawned, electronic music as I was enthralled by Delia Derbyshire's arrangement of the theme-tune from the very beginning. Barry Gray's theme tunes for all Gerry Andersons puppet shows weren't electronic or FX-laden but they seemed pretty futuristic to me at the time:

¹ Marillion were featured on the first episode of the re-launch of Juke Box Jury in 1989, playing the video to Uninvited Guest. Jury member Lloyd Cole (who recently released an electronic album with Roedelius) was very disparaging, wishing them "very little success" and likened the video to a bad Pink Floyd album cover (he did admit to liking Floyd but not Hipgnosis). Issac Hayes, who was also on the Jury, was however very complimentary on Hogarth's singing. The following week Fish was on the Jury ... a missed opportunity there by the BBC LOL

Edited by Dean - February 16 2015 at 07:34
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>