Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Could a Tunisia Type Event Happen In Your Country?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCould a Tunisia Type Event Happen In Your Country?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Poll Question: Could a Tunisia Type Event Happen In Your Country In The Next Ten Yrs?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [21.74%]
14 [60.87%]
4 [17.39%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 23:11
Oh ok in that sense. Very true then LOL
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 04:42
Originally posted by KoS KoS wrote:

I meant, they aren't like the UK rioting for what? a 10% or so tuition increase.LOL

It's 200%, not 10%.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 04:54
BTW I just read that the cost of higher education in the US has risen with over 800% since 1980, while the over-all inflation since that year was just above 120%. If that doesn't look wrong to you, like a problem that needs to be solved, then I am sorry for you. 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 05:38
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Originally posted by KoS KoS wrote:

I meant, they aren't like the UK rioting for what? a 10% or so tuition increase.LOL
It's 200%, not 10%.

Thankyou. You got there before me. 10% indeed, if only
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 09:51

BTW I just read that the cost of higher education in the US has risen with over 800% since 1980, while the over-all inflation since that year was just above 120%. If that doesn't look wrong to you, like a problem that needs to be solved, then I am sorry for you. 

It does, but your solution seems to be that government should absorb the cost of tuition. Since government is responsible for the boom in cost and unable to control the cost of anything, I disagree.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 10:05

The real solution is don't go to uni and pay the inflated cost.
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 10:54
First of all Tracktony is from Lebanon and I realy hope he's O.K. with the mess going on there lately.
I would say it can happen in almost every country. The US has their black and hispanic people frastrated, France has their muslims and strong actions made against their culture,  Austalia has a climate crises that can lead to anarchy etc. I guess Scandinavian countries are quite safe and the same for Canada. My own country has it's problems but people are so afraid here of their neighbours they neglect the fact they are screwed by their own government so I doubt this will happen here.
omri
hobocamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 11:06
In light of recent events in Egypt I would surmise that it could happen in any country with a significant population of disenfranchised people. The reaction of those in power lives on a knife-edge.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 13:37
Things have got pretty bad in the UK in the past. In the 70's we were flat broke, borrowing from the IMF to keep afloat. To conserve energy costs we went down to a three day working week. There were mass strikes right across the public sector, and frequent power cuts. It could happen here again, although circumstances are different now. The point is, the kind of uprising we're seeing in Egypt, I couldn't ever imagine happening here. It didn't back then, so I've no reason to think it would happen now.

I expect we'll see widespread protest throughout 2011, but I don't think revolution is really our style.
Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 13:44
"Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way..."

For the rest, it's rioting and looting. 

LOL kidding

Edited by Ronnie Pilgrim - January 30 2011 at 13:45
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 13:52
Originally posted by Ronnie Pilgrim Ronnie Pilgrim wrote:

<font ="Apple-style-span" face="Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif"><span ="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">"Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way..."</span>
<font ="Apple-style-span" face="Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif"><span ="Apple-style-span" style="line-height: 15px; font-size: small;"></span>
<font ="Apple-style-span" face="Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif"><span ="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">For the rest, it's rioting and looting. </span>
<font ="Apple-style-span" face="Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif"><span ="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;"></span>
<font ="Apple-style-span" face="Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif"><span ="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">LOL kidding</span>

I think that line sums it up beautifully.

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 14:10

No, it couldn't happen here, for the simple reason... THAT WE STILL DON'T HAVE A GOVERNMENT AFTER HUNDREDS OF DAYS OF NEGOTICIATING Angry, so there's nothing to overthrow.

I'd wish we had SOMETHING to overthrow Cry 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 14:28
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

^ But Ceausescu's rule started a decade before he "crowned" himself president (an office he only innitiated). And there were over four decades of communism over-all that people were fighting. 

I'm not trivializing the suffering of Romanian people under the regime, or their struggles for democracy. I'm just saying it's high time a similar regime should be overthrown in Egypt (and in every dictatorship on the planet, for that matter).

I wasn't implying that Moris, just making a pedantic correction. Romanians did fight against four decades of totalitarian regime (more than just an authoritarian one). BTW I noticed that the Egyptian demonstrators look much better dressed, better fed, better educated than Romanian protesters did in 1989, and their cities look better than Bucharest does now, after two decades of capitalism. I never understood why did it took Romanians so much pain and sufferance to "wake up".
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 14:37
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

It does, but your solution seems to be that government should absorb the cost of tuition. Since government is responsible for the boom in cost and unable to control the cost of anything, I disagree.

You seem like the kind of guy that shoots first and asks questions later. LOL No, I wouldn't imagine that as a "solution", putting a cost that I find ridiculous on the shoulders of either the student or the tax payers is not something that I'd consider a solution.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 14:48

Trust me, everybody in America is aware of the cost of higher education. Unfortunately, it's not something that protesting can solve and that's also true of the situation in the UK. 
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 14:57
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Trust me, everybody in America is aware of the cost of higher education. Unfortunately, it's not something that protesting can solve and that's also true of the situation in the UK. 

I don't know about the US, but you also don't seem to know much about the UK either Henry. The increase of tuitions in the UK was a purely political decision of the government, a decision which by the way one of the two parties in the ruling coalition promised (before the elections) not to support. A purely political decision can be just as well overruled by another political decision in the opposing direction, which is why the people are protesting.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 15:08

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

You seem like the kind of guy that shoots first and asks questions later. LOL No, I wouldn't imagine that as a "solution", putting a cost that I find ridiculous on the shoulders of either the student or the tax payers is not something that I'd consider a solution.

Well duh. It's more fun that way. 

I was just playing that odds. 90% of people mean that when they complain about it. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 15:28
That reminds me, you haven't done a trolling poll since too long (the Yes-PtH one).

BTW thanks for linking to Al Jazeera (I think it was KoS). They're fantastic. The two main news television in Romania haven't covered the global Arab unrest at all, they're focusing on ridiculously irrelevant topic of home affairs, chose according to the interests of the two chains' owners. Wacko
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 15:40

I don't know about the US, but you also don't seem to know much about the UK either Henry. The increase of tuitions in the UK was a purely political decision of the government, a decision which by the way one of the two parties in the ruling coalition promised (before the elections) not to support. A purely political decision can be just as well overruled by another political decision in the opposing direction, which is why the people are protesting.
It's not purely political. They're not doing it out of spite. Britain is going bankrupt and it's unsustainable. Yes, I know that they're not touching military spending while gutting the BBC and education subsidies and probably some other things I can't remember and I agree that's entirely the wrong way to go about it. But it seems (to me anyway, I admit I am disconnected from British politics) that the protesters want everything to go back to the way it was before, but that's not possible. I'm not disagreeing that the Ivy League etc. is a rip off, but you can't have a world class education at Oxford for the equivalent of $5400 a year (and sorry if that number isn't right, the Oxford website is confusing for my poor American brain). That's not much more than my community college, and that place is a sh*thole!

Edited by Henry Plainview - January 30 2011 at 15:41
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 15:58
It's a political decision in the fields of economics, I think we can agree on that (I know they didn't raise the tuition "just like that"). This year would cost you £3,290 at Oxford (source). I don't understand this:

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I'm not disagreeing that the Ivy League etc. is a rip off, but you can't have a world class education at Oxford for the equivalent of $5400 a year (and sorry if that number isn't right, the Oxford website is confusing for my poor American brain).

Of course you get a great education there at these money, the tuition fees is not raised because the schools can't provide good education any more at these money, but because the government wants to reduce their funding (like you said) so they can balance the over-all deficit.

Personally I agree that in the situation of crisis it's a correct decision to cut spending in as many domains as possible, but I believe you also need to evaluate these domains in a certain order of priorities. To me education is an essential investment and should be protected, especially while it doesn't consume that much anyway. The tories don't seem to share this view, but I think cutting equally from domains with different kind if an impact might be a very wrong decision.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>