Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Cardiacs Society

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 12:27
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Gave Sing to God (pt. 1) a whirl this morning - it was pretty good, but you're right Jon I'm going to need some time with it.

Took me 3 or 4 listens for it to really soak in. One of my favorite albums now.

Edited by ptkc123 - February 02 2011 at 14:27

ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 16:30
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Be prepared to give it multiple listens - if you're anything like me, it might take some time to grow on you. 

^This. 

First few times there were a lot of wtf?? moments, a lot of laughing out loud (like "What the hell is going on in this song??), and a few that I tended to play a lot (Nurses Whispering Verses remains among my faves off Sing to God).

And then one day I realized I loved the entire album.  So yeah, it takes some dedication, but it is well worth it.
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.
dedokras View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 18:35
Cardiacs have been my favourite band for the last several years, so in my biased opinion:

Sing to God - one of the best albums ever; A Little Man and a House - not too far behind

The Garage Concerts - one of the best live albums...

http://mlyk.bandcamp.com/
The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 21:46
Originally posted by dedokras dedokras wrote:

Cardiacs have been my favourite band for the last several years, so in my biased opinion:

Sing to God - one of the best albums ever; A Little Man and a House - not too far behind

The Garage Concerts - one of the best live albums...

Do you have any physical copies of these albums? 

daslaf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 03:48
OH MY GOSH IT'S CARDIACS!!!

Awesome band, one of my favorites from all time I must say... speaking of Cardiacs related music. Have you heard Briny Hooves by William D. Drake? I NEED TO GET THAT ALBUM!!! There are two songs on youtube which are bloody brilliant, any opinion about this record?
But now my branches suffer
And my leaves don't bear the glow
They did so long ago
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 04:00
You are all under arrest!
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 04:35
Originally posted by ptkc123 ptkc123 wrote:

I've recently become a huge fan of Cardiacs, and I know that they have quite a loyal following.  I believe they deserve more appreciation here on the PA forums. They are truly an extraordinary band.

Let's discuss anything you want to involving Cardiacs, as well as the genius that is Tim Smith.

What are your favorite Cardiacs albums? Have you seen any of their shows? Have any rare memorabilia? Anything else you'd like to discuss about Cardiacs, let's do it here. Wink

Get well soon, Tim!

Tim's music is a gift that keeps on giving. No matter how deep you delve there's always something new and wonderful to discover. Every time I stick on a Cardiacs record it's like a flower opening its petals out anew and bathing my world in glorious technicolour. In short, I f**king love Cardiacs.

Favourite album? Impossible choice. It's usually whichever one I'm currently listening to.

Shows? I saw them twice - once in London (Astoria 2006) and again in Bristol on their final tour in 2007. Unique, unforgettable experiences both.

Memorabilia? I used to have a set of badges but they had a terrible habit of quietly detaching themselves and getting lost. I also have a copy of the limited edition Ditzy Scene EP - their last official release. Not a patch on some of the rareities in the cardiacs.org museum!

Oh, and to whoever it was asking about William D. Drake's Briny Hooves album, he's made it available for purchase through bandcamp here: http://williamddrake.bandcamp.com/album/briny-hooves
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 19:46
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

I've recently become a huge fan of Cardiacs, and I know that they have quite a loyal following.  I believe they deserve more appreciation here on the PA forums. They are truly an extraordinary band.

Let's discuss anything you want to involving Cardiacs, as well as the genius that is Tim Smith.

What are your favorite Cardiacs albums? Have you seen any of their shows? Have any rare memorabilia? Anything else you'd like to discuss about Cardiacs, let's do it here. Wink

Get well soon, Tim!

Tim's music is a gift that keeps on giving. No matter how deep you delve there's always something new and wonderful to discover. Every time I stick on a Cardiacs record it's like a flower opening its petals out anew and bathing my world in glorious technicolour. In short, I f**king love Cardiacs.

Favourite album? Impossible choice. It's usually whichever one I'm currently listening to.

Shows? I saw them twice - once in London (Astoria 2006) and again in Bristol on their final tour in 2007. Unique, unforgettable experiences both.

Memorabilia? I used to have a set of badges but they had a terrible habit of quietly detaching themselves and getting lost. I also have a copy of the limited edition Ditzy Scene EP - their last official release. Not a patch on some of the rareities in the cardiacs.org museum!

Oh, and to whoever it was asking about William D. Drake's Briny Hooves album, he's made it available for purchase through bandcamp here: http://williamddrake.bandcamp.com/album/briny-hooves

Wow, I would love to see Cardiacs live. I've seen The Mare's Nest videos on Youtube, and those are really nice. Have any photos you'd like to share from the shows you attended?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 04:20

Wow, I would love to see Cardiacs live. I've seen The Mare's Nest videos on Youtube, and those are really nice. Have any photos you'd like to share from the shows you attended?

My partner took some at the Bristol show but I'm not sure where to find them on her computer. I'll see if she can dig them out at some point! Smile

On a much sadder note, there's an article about LOTSS in today's Guardian and it goes into more detail about Tim's current condition than previous ones. It doesn't make for happy reading. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/feb/03/cardiacs-tim-smith-stroke-tribute-album
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 07:31
I really love Cardiacs, my favourite albums are "On Land And In The Sea" and "Sign To God" They influenced   a lot of bands of different styles: Napalm Death (Shayne Embury is a big fan), Wildhearts, Mike Patton, etc.

Tim get well soon!!!
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 09:32

Originally posted by Rottenhat Rottenhat wrote:

In principle I like Cardiacs, but the often have a grating wall of noise kinda sound to them that gives me listeners fatigue. I guess I am too old.. Even the most Hard Core RIO/Avant bands usually mellows out a bit between the hard parts, but not Cardiacs...

Guess so. Tongue

I guess I sort of felt the same way the first few times I listened to them, but that shortly left.

Have to give them a go, again :)

Sounds good! Big smile

BTW, does anyone have the recent Tim Smith tribute album, Leader of the Starry Skies? And what do you think of it?

Any good Youtube video, or the like?

Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 09:37

Any good Youtube video, or the like?

Tons. A few personal favourites:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 17:24

My partner took some at the Bristol show but I'm not sure where to find them on her computer. I'll see if she can dig them out at some point! Smile

On a much sadder note, there's an article about LOTSS in today's Guardian and it goes into more detail about Tim's current condition than previous ones. It doesn't make for happy reading. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/feb/03/cardiacs-tim-smith-stroke-tribute-album

I had no idea he was doing so bad... Ouch Please get well soon Tim!

ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 08:12

Sigh.

No, that kind of devastating neurological damage does not bode well, alas, especially if he is still in hospital two years later.  Hope for small improvements.  Be thankful for anything.

(Speaking from personal family experience.... :(  )
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.
brainerd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 14:27
Oh looky look we have the same avatar, how... embarassing?

I love this band to bits, especially Guns and Heaven Born and Ever Bright, which is underrated even by their standards. That Guardian article is heartbreaking, I had no idea Tim was in such a bad state.

Has anyone heard Knifeworld by the way? It's their guitarist Kavus Torabi's own project who released an album last year it's really good stuff!
The car's on fire, there's no driver at the wheel...
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 14:34
Please point me in a non-iTunes affordable direction for procurement of their material...digital or hard. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 14:44
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Please point me in a non-iTunes affordable direction for procurement of their material...digital or hard. 

Well, the only digital distributor of Cardiacs albums is iTunes. You could check amazon.co.uk for the physical... not sure that the majority are 'affordable,' but they're all there.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 14:53
^Yeah, Amazon has them for first-borns and a favorite appendage. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 14:58
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

^Yeah, Amazon has them for first-borns and a favorite appendage. 

Yeah, iTunes is probably your only choice then.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 15:05
I just can't bring myself to sign up. Youtube it is!!! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>