Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Cardiacs Society

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2011 at 15:18
Tim is 50 today.

Get well soon Tim!
Sing To God View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 01:52
Yea, best wishes to Tim. I'll be 50 myself soon.
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 04:00
Marc Riley did a special edition of his 6music show in honour of Tim's birthday last night. He played three Cardiacs live session tracks (including the never-released song Silvery!), as well as tracks by "family" artists William D Drake, Levitation and The Trudy's superb cover of Day Is Gone. Well worth a listen.
Sing To God View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 07:14
Did you buy the 2 tribute discs? Those are wonderful
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 07:31
Yep, you can read my rather gushy review here!
EchidnasArf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 21:03
Just listened to Cardiacs for the first time (because of this thread). I listened to R.E.S. and watched the video along with it. First impression: these guys are crazy, but I like it. Love the guitar work and the composition of this particular song is really neat. You have my attention, Cardiacs. What's next?
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 21:07
Depends, I think A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window, On Land and In the Sea, and Sing to God are all easily 5-star albums.  Sing to God is a bit less lushly arranged, more hard-edged, but still has a lot of that Tim Smith charm. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 21:50
Okay, I just checked out the "As Cold As Can Be in an English Sea" and "Jibber and Twitch" rehearsal videos on YouTube and I'm thoroughly impressed and a bit blown away. The drummer rules, and I dig the vocals on these vids much more than the stuff that I've heard so far from Sing to God and the song "R.E.S." What album is English Sea on? What are these guys up to these days?
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 21:57
They're in what may very well be permanent hiatus, Tim Smith's health problems ensure that the band can't do anything.  Cry  Those two tracks are actually old tracks redone with the newest band formation, practice for the Special Garage Concerts (two discs of those are available, along with everything else by Cardiacs, on iTunes and nowhere else).  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 22:12
That's a shame. Seems the most recent incarnation of the band might be the lineup I enjoy the most. Is the drummer from the Garage Concerts the same drummer from the original Cardiacs lineup? "To Go Off and Things" is extremely rad.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 22:15
I can't say for sure.  Better off asking The Hemulen there, he's the one who converted me to a Cardiacs fanboy.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 08:38
Originally posted by EchidnasArf EchidnasArf wrote:

That's a shame. Seems the most recent incarnation of the band might be the lineup I enjoy the most. Is the drummer from the Garage Concerts the same drummer from the original Cardiacs lineup? "To Go Off and Things" is extremely rad.

Bob Leith (their most recent drummer) has been with them since Sing to God, so you can hear him playing on that album, Guns (their final studio album), and the aforementioned Special Garage Concerts live albums on which you'll find similarly killer renditions of Gibber and Twitch and As Cold As Can Be In An English Sea. Their previous drummer, Dominic Luckman was also superb, IMO, and for several years they had a full-time additional percussionist (Tim Quy).

If you like their hard-edged sound then Sing to God's the one to get. Maybe get that and the Garage Concerts, as they're a great introduction to a lot of their early material but with much better sound production and incredibly tight performances from the most recent line-up. Please make sure to buy 'em from iTunes - currently the only place to get their stuff legally, and with Tim still recovering from serious health problems he could really really do with the money! Smile

Edited by The Hemulen - July 06 2011 at 08:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 15:43
This was all very helpful. Thanks a bunch Hemulen. These guys are insane. I used to be very into punk and hardcore music when I was younger (DK, Crass, Misfits, etc..). I dropped it because I grew bored with poor recording quality and just overall lame production on a lot of fronts. Cardiacs are what I want from "punk" music right now, if you can really even call it that. It's all very polished, in a completely frenetic way. The arrangements command attention at almost every second. Love it.

Listening to "Will Bleed Amen" from Guns right now. Leith is a monster. A Leithal weapon, if you will.WinkCool (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
fxdregs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2011 at 15:00
Originally posted by daslaf daslaf wrote:

Originally posted by fxdregs fxdregs wrote:

Briny Hooves is a brillaint, yet little known record (at least here anyaway) by William D Drake.

My advice is do not hesitate to get this. You cannot buy the disc at Drake's site but you can buy the download.

Did this last week and it's been at the top of my playlist ever since.

Great record!!!!

Well I finally got it for my birthday, best present I've given myself in a long time, hehe... 
I'm glad Briny Hooves is more song oriented than Will's first solo record, which sounded a lot like another Sea Nymphs release, BH sounds more original and gosh, Bill is such a great composer, pianist and singer... Hooray for himl!
Drakes new record The Rising of the Lights is a great follow up to Briny Hooves.

As for the Cardiacs - really like some of their stuff. A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window is one of my favorite records. Tim Smith is brilliant!!
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2011 at 15:04
I love just about everything Tim Smith-related I've heard - Cardiacs, of course, plus Spratleys Japs, The Sea Nymphs, Tim Smith's Extra Special Oceanlandworld, etc. 
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 13:37
Where has this thread been????
Cardiacs are like a sea nymph slapping you in the face so hard that you fall into a coma only to have the strangest dreams. I like that description...

Favorite albums?? Yes.

Speaking of the Cardiacs family, anyone try Bill's "Yew's Paw"? It's all classical pieces, and they're all gorgeous!! Been played constantly in my place for months now and it's still magical.
There be dragons
Ady Random View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 05:39
hi all......new to this site(sorry!).....been a member of the maresnest forum for years....some people may know me from there as just ady...and no i'm not ady belch.....although he is a good friend of mine.

been a fan of cardiacs  for about 22 years now....and if it wasn't for cardiacs i would not have ended up hereSmile

a fan of allsorts of music and genre's...for me prog is just a nice way of saying loads of different styles twisted together beautifully.....at the moment getting into Magma alot.....love the usual suspects like early genesis and crimson.

if there is anywhere on this site where i can say hello to all....i'll be glad to know......and hopefully discover some gems of music along the waySmile
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 11:38
^ firstly welcome to PA! It is a diverse home filled with with Neo Proggers and RIO-heads and Metal heads, but we all more or less get along, though of course Cardiacs fans are completely superior to anyone else! What might you mean by saying hello to all? Hello! You can also PM us. You can also find me in "Maresnest" under "dogeatspine" where I'm sorta as active but I've been there only for a few months.
There be dragons
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 17:40
Hiya Ady, I'm Salty Jon over at Maresnest too, haven't posted there as much as I have here. 

There's a "Welcome Newbies" sub-forum here where you can introduce yourself to the forums at large.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2012 at 06:05
Just popping in to share these wonderful a capella covers of Wireless and Bell Clinks.

I like this general-purpose Cardiacs thread more than the other one. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>