Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Cardiacs Society

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2012 at 08:42
^that is just epic in more ways than I can think of.
There be dragons
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2012 at 10:56
Listening to the version of Wireless now - pretty great stuff so far!  May pass up the a capella covers of some Magma stuff as my favorite a capella cover. 
frogbs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 14:53
Any updates on Tim's condition?  Hard to believe they've been 13 years now without a proper studio album!  It seems that in the past 7-8 years especially they've gotten a huge amount of buzz through the internet and I can only imagine how huge it would be should Tim recover.  Obviously pretty much everyone in the group has been amazing but I don't think it's exaggerating to suggest that everything Timmy's done has been essential in some way, even that solo album!  Get well soon Timmy!
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2012 at 23:09
^ I wish I knew anything, but he's keeping his health under wraps pretty much. I think he's pretty much OK (though I can only assume), but isn't well enough to actually go and play live. I'm not sure if he'll ever be.
There be dragons
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 16:21
I don't know how well he is, wish I did.  Just supported him a bit more though, got three more Cardiacs/related albums on iTunes.  The Seaside, Heaven Born & Ever Bright, and Tim Smith's Extra Special OceanLandWorld.  
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 16:41
Yeah, not a lot of information regarding Tim's condition, sadly, but that's a conscious choice his friends and family are making and we have to respect that. The general impression I've gotten from various slight comments on all manner of forums, facebook groups etc. is that he is improving but it is a slow and difficult process. We certainly shouldn't expect any more live performances from Tim, sadly.

Regarding the lack of new material, one of the great tragedies is that they were so so close to putting out a new album back in 2008/9. All the instrumental tracks had been completed and all that remained was for Tim to record his vocal parts before his health problems struck. My sincere hope is that one day, even if it's twenty years from now, that album sees the light of day. Ideally it would be wonderful for Tim to add his vocal contributions but if that isn't a possibility then perhaps through a combination of guest vocalists and/or reworked instrumental versions. They already "lost" one album, it would be the worst damn luck to lose two!
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 16:42
Which other album did they "lose," some of the tracks from The Seaside
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 17:17
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

No, those were all present on the original cassetterelease, but were left off the CD version. Not sure why that is, actually, but either way they're 'out there', so to speak.

The "lost" album was the original attempt at a follow-up to Guns. The song "Faster Than Snakes With a Ball and a Chain" which was included on the 2002 "Greatest Hits" compilation was allegedly taken from a "forthcoming" album which never actually materialised. Apparently that work-in-progress album was lost in a hard drive crash. The files hadn't been fully backed up and Tim said in an interview that he tried to "fix" the unfinished songs but eventually abandoned them in favour of starting afresh on what would've been LSD, the current not-quite-finished album. There's a brief (unreferenced) mention of it on the wiki page for Greatest Hits and a few references in interviews, but I can't think where I would've read them right now.

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 17:47
Ah, OK.  I didn't know what Faster Than Snakes With a Ball and a Chain was originally from, that explains it.  
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 19:33
Maybe you can help me...where in the WORLD did this track come from?  I've looked through their discography here and on Cardiacs Museum and on Wikipedia, and nowhere do I see a track by this name...I like it, though!

Ah, did some quick searching on the forums over at The Mares Nest, apparently it's a Jon Poole composition which appears(?) on the second God Damn Whores album.  Guessing it was originally intended for a Cardiacs release though...

Edited by SaltyJon - February 09 2012 at 19:36
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 23:40

Maybe you can help me...where in the WORLD did this track come from?  I've looked through their discography here and on Cardiacs Museum and on Wikipedia, and nowhere do I see a track by this name...I like it, though!

Ah, did some quick searching on the forums over at The Mares Nest, apparently it's a Jon Poole composition which appears(?) on the second God Damn Whores album.  Guessing it was originally intended for a Cardiacs release though...

That's a great song, I think it was destined for the "lost" album. I think they call it just "Silvery" now, there's another live radio version from 2007, which is pretty great:

There be dragons
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 23:40
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

That's a great song, I think it was destined for the "lost" album. I think they call it just "Silvery" now, there's another live radio version from 2008, which is pretty great:

There be dragons
frogbs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2012 at 09:35
Originally posted by The Hemulen The Hemulen wrote:

No, those were all present on the original cassetterelease, but were left off the CD version. Not sure why that is, actually, but either way they're 'out there', so to speak.

The "lost" album was the original attempt at a follow-up to Guns. The song "Faster Than Snakes With a Ball and a Chain" which was included on the 2002 "Greatest Hits" compilation was allegedly taken from a "forthcoming" album which never actually materialised. Apparently that work-in-progress album was lost in a hard drive crash. The files hadn't been fully backed up and Tim said in an interview that he tried to "fix" the unfinished songs but eventually abandoned them in favour of starting afresh on what would've been LSD, the current not-quite-finished album. There's a brief (unreferenced) mention of it on the wiki page for Greatest Hits and a few references in interviews, but I can't think where I would've read them right now.

Do you think this is actually true?  Sounds like one of those Aphex Twin style half-truths...
centum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 10:39

Hey guys

I've been listening to Sing To God recently and I found it terrifyingly awesome

but I have a tonn of questions concerning the lyrics

are there any articles or sites explaining them?

frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 10:45
^ explanations? No! But here

lyrics for all studio albums. 

I find Tim's lyrics awesome to think about, strange, weird, disquieting, beautiful.
There be dragons
centum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 11:12
I have all the lyrics, I just want to get into the "Cardiacs' Mythology"
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 11:16
^ I'm not sure such a thing exists :)
There be dragons
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 05:27
Yeah, there's no such thing as a "mythology" when it comes to Tim's lyrics. There are a couple of songs which reference other songs (i.e. "my hope day is forever coming closer" on the Seaside version of R.E.S.) but none of their albums strike me as being conceptual beyond vague themes, most obviously the use of Christian imagery on Sing to God.  Tim's always been fastidiously tight-lipped about the meaning of his lyrics, so ultimately how you interpret them is always down to you.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 20:59
Man... c´mon! This band is insanly awesome and we don´t talk about them as much as we should! 

Spread the love!!!

I´ll start by saying that Sing to God is a near perfect masterpiece, just so original and creative and fun, so much fun!!!
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 21:26
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Man... c´mon! This band is insanly awesome and we don´t talk about them as much as we should! 

Spread the love!!!

I´ll start by saying that Sing to God is a near perfect masterpiece, just so original and creative and fun, so much fun!!!

Moved your topic post to this thread since there has been ongoing discussion here (even if no posts for a couple months in this thread).  Lots of Cardiacs fans here, including myself.  I particularly love Sing to God.

By the way, I found these Cardiacs covers a while back, and thought they were very well done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-6U73cix2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sq0nTW6RpE

Edited by Logan - April 23 2012 at 21:27
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>