Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCaravan - First Impressions...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 16:42
Originally posted by WatcherOfTheSkies88 WatcherOfTheSkies88 wrote:

Just started listening to Caravan for the first time. Bought and listened to "If I could do it all over again, I'd do it all over you" and "In the Land of Grey and Pink", and wanted to give my first impressions of what I've heard...

I have to say that I think that "If I Could..." is a much better album than "In The Land...". "If I could..." just seems to have consistently better songs throughout, especially the "For Richard" suite, which is excellent. That song brilliantly weaves between sections with great melodies. Also, the title track is great, along with "And I Wish I Were Stoned", "As I Feel I Die" and the "With an Ear to the Ground" suite.

As far as "In The Land..." goes... I'm not really a fan of "Golf Girl". Also, "Nine Feet Underground" is not one of the best 20+ epics that I've ever heard. The whole suite just seems to not have much flow to it, and a lot of the melodies are not particularly memorable. The 6 minute intro section in particular is kind of boring... it just keeps on going, and doesn't really go anywhere. I did really enjoy the very last section of the song though and I also did really like "Winter Wine". However, overall, I'm surprised that so many people consider "In The Land..." to be their best album.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the review of 'Id Do It All Over You.' I've never heard a note of it, and I can never seem to find it at the seemingly only record store left in town (and my old lady won't let me order anything off of Amazon.com). I think 'In the Land...' is a little overrated myself, but I am a fan of "Nine Feet Underground." It's successor, "Waterloo Lily" is a grand piece of Canterbury, and I highly recommend it! Stay away from their debut, "Caravan" as it's entirely dated and strictly for purists.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 07:43
Well, I have reviewed both the albums and for me they are two masterpieces. Golf Girl and If I could... are both dated and influenced by the British glam, but Winter Wine is one of the greatest songs that I've ever heard. Liking those albums or not at the first try depends on what you are looking for.   
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 08:39
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Well, I have reviewed both the albums and for me they are two masterpieces. Golf Girl and If I could... are both dated and influenced by the British glam, but Winter Wine is one of the greatest songs that I've ever heard. Liking those albums or not at the first try depends on what you are looking for.   
      winter wine is one of my favourite ever, such a beautiful melody+ sinclair voice and sinclair organ,Thumbs UpThumbs UpSmile
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 08:46
Caravan is the pop -almost poppy sometimes- side of Canterbury when SM is the jazzy side for example so indeed it depends on what you're looking for.

They are many prog bands that i used to listen to and that i don't anymore because i find it too gentle and predicatble for my taste now, such as Camel, which is a Caravan's follower; but for me Caravan's classic such as In the land... & If i could... remain as good and fresh
to my taste because i find it truly original and inspired.
But i dislike everything they did from "For girls"...same for JT after
"A passion play".

Edited by oliverstoned - March 28 2011 at 08:48
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123