FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPolyrhythms - A Quick Theory Lesson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polyrhythms - A Quick Theory Lesson
    Posted: February 07 2011 at 14:11
This article is to inform people about what polyrhythms ACTUALLY are, and furthermore clear the air about the musical devices they are often mistaken for: polymeters, and rhythmic displacement.

As you probably all know (prog-metalheads and fans of Meshuggah, TesseracT, Periphery, Porcupine Tree and the like), a lot of the time musicians and composers ofter get labelled with using polyrhythms. A lot of the time, the term "polyrhythm" is used to describe - in Porcupine Tree's case - a PolyMETER; in Meshuggah's case, Rhythmic Displacement. Allow me to explain the theoretical difference between the three devices in question.

Polyrhythms

A polyrhythm is two types of tuplets layered over each other and played simultaneously: a common example being a triplets over quavers; a less common and considerably trickier example (often found in Chopin and Liszt) would be something like a septuplet (7) over semiquavers. A good example of this would be in Brahms's 4th Symphony, First Movement:

You'll find polyrhythms all over the place here, however the strongest I feel is at around about 3:12, quite short but very clear between the lower and higher stringed instruments. It's a fairly straightforward example, as it's only a three over 2. For more complex examples, they are dotted all over Chopin's "Nocturnes" for piano, or you could watch this video:

There's 5 over 4 covered in that one, and I think a 7 over 2 at one point.

Polymeters

A polymeter is a different story altogether, and generally speaking a lot easier to hear and pull off, although it's obviously objective to the difficulty of the polymeter. This device is where two (or more) time signatures are being phrased simultaneously, e.g. the drums, keyboards and bass playing in 4/4 and the guitars playing in 5/8 (Porcupine Tree - Anesthetise). One vital point, however, is that the time signatures HAVE TO RESOLVE (can be described as a "rhythmic cadence"), meaning that if it is a 4/4 over 5/8 polymeter, then the 4/4 pattern will have to be played 5 times for the 5/8 to fit. If the 5/8 or 4/4 pattern is forced to resolve then it's something different entirely. A great example, as aforementioned would be in Porcupine Tree's tune Anesthetise:

The polymetric sequence occurs at 5:08. No other section in this song is polymetric, except for when Gavin goes nuts at 11:17, where hit snare is arguably polymetric (we'll get onto that later). More examples:

Not self promoting at all *cough*, but it illustrates my point at 2:00, in which the keyboard and harp are playing in 3/4 and the bass and drums are playing a 4/4 pattern. Also at 1:12, where the strings, piano and open hi-hat are playing in 3/8 and the the other instruments are playing in 4/4. Another:

At 4:56 the hi-hat (later the whole drumkit) is playing in 5/8 and the bass is playing in 6/8.

Rhythmic Displacement

This is possibly the most common device, and is used EVERYWHERE, heavily in technical metal. This is where a continuous pulse (often a cymbal) is lilted slightly by instruments phrasing in another time signature, pushed to resolve after a certain number of bars. Very different to a polymeter! An example would be as follows:

5/8, 5/8, 5/8, 5/8, 5/4, 1/4

(all over a 4/4 pulse: it works out because the pattern adds up to 32 quavers, which is divisible by a 4/4 pulse)

Another:

11/8, 11/8, 5/4

(same principles)

Meshuggah use this technique a HELL of a lot, splattered all across Nothing in almost every single riff. It is also used melodically in a lot of Jazz and Classical (Herbie Hancock favours this technique and often phrases in fives). A few examples:

The beginning of this song has the riff phrased like so:

7/8, 7/8, 7/8, 7/8, 2/4 over a 4/4 pulse. More examples:

3:08

5/4, 5/4, 5/4, 1/4

Why this is just a THEORY

If you are a musician and you are reading this, then you may be asking "well, isn't a polymeter just a sped up polyrhythm", or vice versa, and to that I can only say: isn't forte just a louder version of piano? You would be right however, a polymeter IS a slowed down polyrhythm. Let me explain:

The way a polyrhythm is constructed is exactly like a polymeter. To create a polyrhythm, you first have to decide which numbers you are using (let's say triplets (3) and semiquavers (4) for now), then you have to divide the beat up by the product of those two numbers (in this case 12). The triplets would appear on every fourth 12th note, and the semiquavers on every third 12th note. Here's a scrappy little diagram:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/            /            /            /            /            /            /            /            /            /            /            /
t                                                   t                                                   t
sq                                  sq                                   sq                                  sq

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/ = 12th note
t = triplet
sq = semiquaver

Now this is all within one beat, and automatically becomes a polyrhtyhm, but if you slow each 12th not down to quavers then this becomes a 3/8 over 2/4 polymeter. This can be applied to any tuplets or time signatures you can think of. So essentially, the only difference between polymeters and polyrhythms is speed and notation. However, as I said before, it is just like saying that quiet is the same as loud, only a lot quieter.

Hope that helped!

clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 15:50
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Polymeters

A polymeter is a different story altogether, and generally speaking a lot easier to hear and pull off, although it's obviously objective to the difficulty of the polymeter. This device is where two (or more) time signatures are being phrased simultaneously, e.g. the drums, keyboards and bass playing in 4/4 and the guitars playing in 5/8 (Porcupine Tree - Anesthetise). One vital point, however, is that the time signatures HAVE TO RESOLVE (can be described as a "rhythmic cadence"), meaning that if it is a 4/4 over 5/8 polymeter, then the 4/4 pattern will have to be played 5 times for the 5/8 to fit. If the 5/8 or 4/4 pattern is forced to resolve then it's something different entirely. A great example, as aforementioned would be in Porcupine Tree's tune Anesthetise:

But why? Why can't parallel 4/4 and 5/8 can stop abruptly somewhere in mid-bar and proceed together in let's say 3/4? Or there's another term for it?
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 16:25
There are also compound meters where measures of different lengths are simply tacked onto one another, which would be required for Clarke's example.

The example I always use is the intro to Firth of Fifth, scoring out the time signatures is a massive mess, but the ear actually makes more sense of it than the calculating brain. It's just a continuous line of cascading sixteenths with emphasis on notes that don't really follow any given numeric pattern. It's not even a polyrhythm because the bass is hitting the same accents as the melody line, but it is extremely tricky to count if you care to.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 16:52
Clap

great post ThePessimist! 
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 17:08

Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

But why? Why can't parallel 4/4 and 5/8 can stop abruptly somewhere in mid-bar and proceed together in let's say 3/4? Or there's another term for it?

I believe the point is that if they're not in the pattern Alex is describing then the time signatures are not actually matching up and you've just accidentally started playing free jazz, not that you're divinely bound to follow rules. Switching in the middle of a bar would be jarring, though, since I think the instruments would not be on the same beat so there would have to be a space for some people to catch up and for some to slow down to the new time signature. 
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Xanatos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 17:35
Lets make it simpler :

Polyrythmics = Meshuggah 
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 19:01
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Polymeters

Yep The other term is what I would call Rhythmic Displacement (RD) (phrasing in odd time meters, like Jay said - although he used the term "compound polymeters", which I've never heard before but I figure is just a form of RD?), like I mentioned Just as my examples resolve at the end, they can also "resolve" in the middle too, it's still RD nonetheless For something to be absolutely polymetric, it has to be linnear if you see what I mean... although it's an easy mistake to make as sticking a renegade bar in a different time sig. somewhere in the middle would still sound polymetric.

Hope that clears it up a bit...

And Xanatos:

No.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 19:08
This is the perfect example of why western music theory should not be applied to popular and folk music and stick with the academic stuff.
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
notesworth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 19:53
If you think music theory is worthless, why read a post about music theory? If you don't want to hear about music theory that's fine. Most people are like that. Going into a post about music theory to tell people not to use music theory is stupid. You enjoy music your way, let other people enjoy it the way they want to. A lot of us *like* theory.

Back to the topic, that's interesting. I never knew there was a difference.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 22:45

I don't want to molest you guys with my crappy composing attempts, but here's a short excerpt of MIDI-generated-piano piece I did many years ago: some overlapping of quintuplets over a common time measure blah blah.

(Also: woo-hoo, I learned how to make/upload video on TubeSmile)

Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2011 at 00:57
Originally posted by Proletariat Proletariat wrote:

This is the perfect example of why western music theory should not be applied to popular and folk music and stick with the academic stuff.

What is the fundamental difference between popular and academic music that makes music theory only valid to discuss one but not the other?
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2011 at 02:36

Is that so? Even though popular music takes everything from Western music theory, e.g. the pendulum model and the harmonic series?

Arnold Schoenberg
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2011 at 05:47

I've always assumed polyrhythms resolved within the bar, while polymeters are resolved over several bars. Have to admit that I've never thought about it long enough to know whether that is true or not or whether it matters an awful lot.

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2011 at 11:32
while the information about music theory is always interesting I just don't think we need to split hairs between verry similar techniques that (more often than not) the artist themselves don't know or understand the difference between. I enjoy the sound of polyrhythms and i admit I don't know what that really means exept for that when I hear it I like it. Western academic music has LOTS of terms which are usefull most especially in single person composition (therefore I have no doubt Fripp for one uses these devices) but most folk based musics including the vast majority of rock and roll uses jamming and improv as the backbone of their songwriting method and don't really strive for polyrhythm or counterpoint or whatever but rather stumble upon it becuase it sounds good. Which is why I love Rock Folk Jazz and Blues in particular, not that Academic music is bad its just not as freeform.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2011 at 11:41
I disagree. For most, you are what you practice. If you practice polyrhythms, they become part of what your subconscious creative will produce. Your ear will rarely reach for odd chords if you haven't played and experimented with them, and even if it does, you will have difficulty finding them.

And this is prog, which is in general a much more deliberate and left-brain music. Tony Banks was very aware of all the techniques he was using in Genesis.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2011 at 11:55

while the information about music theory is always interesting I just don't think we need to split hairs between verry similar techniques that (more often than not) the artist themselves don't know or understand the difference between. I enjoy the sound of polyrhythms and i admit I don't know what that really means exept for that when I hear it I like it. Western academic music has LOTS of terms which are usefull most especially in single person composition (therefore I have no doubt Fripp for one uses these devices) but most folk based musics including the vast majority of rock and roll uses jamming and improv as the backbone of their songwriting method and don't really strive for polyrhythm or counterpoint or whatever but rather stumble upon it becuase it sounds good. Which is why I love Rock Folk Jazz and Blues in particular, not that Academic music is bad its just not as freeform.

To elaborate on Jay, there's no excuse for a musician to not know his theory. It doesn't hinder creativity, if anything it moves it along. If a guy uses a rhythmic device like mentioned subconciously, then what is the damage in learning about it? As I've said in the title, this is a LESSON, not an attack at people who don't know the information in this article.

Arnold Schoenberg
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2011 at 15:36
Im not saying one shouldn't know theory but that as one that may know music theory you needn't expect others too especially since alot of us are just rock fans after all. you were obviously aggrivated that many of us don't know the difference doncha know
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2011 at 16:59
Great post indeed.
daslaf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 01:46

Im not saying one shouldn't know theory but that as one that may know music theory you needn't expect others too especially since alot of us are just rock fans after all. you were obviously aggrivated that many of us don't know the difference doncha know

I don't think that was what the OP wanted... 

Anyway, great post, as a music student myself I couldn't think of a better way to explain it... Well I think I'm not good at explaining anything to be honest Embarrassed

Edit: Solar Musick Suite from Steve Hillage's Fish Rising has another example of RD in the solo section on 9:30... the riff there goes 4/4-3/4-5/8-5/8, which is "equal" to four 3/4 measures... However, I'm not pretty sure this is RD. cause  the drums follow the same pattern than the riff, so I think it doesn't completely fit with the definition given by the OP. LOL

Edited by daslaf - February 09 2011 at 19:47
But now my branches suffer
And my leaves don't bear the glow
They did so long ago
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 11:22
Originally posted by daslaf daslaf wrote:

I don't think that was what the OP wanted... 

Anyway, great post, as a music student myself I couldn't think of a better way to explain it... Well I think I'm not good at explaining anything to be honest Embarrassed

Edit: Solar Musick Suite from Steve Hillage's Fish Rising has another example of RD in the solo section on 9:30... the riff there goes 4/4-3/4-5/8-5/8, which is "equal" to four 3/4 measures... However, I'm not pretty sure this is RD. cause  the drums follow the same pattern than the riff, so I think it doesn't completely fit with the definition given by the OP. LOL

If there is a definite instrument phrasing in 3/4, then it is If it's just an inner pulse, then it's debatable

Arnold Schoenberg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>