Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Double Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 15:26
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

I'm not usually a double album fan, i usually find that a double album is just too long, and I can't think of many that wouldn't benefit from a 'bit of a trim', too much filler.

Agreed, even gems like London Calling have some diaper burritos e.g. Lost In the Supermarket and I'm Not Down
plus for me, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway runs out of steam on the second disc
very much agree with the sentiment about Lamb although admittedly the first disc has some of the best prog ever recorded!
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 17:16
Taking on best live albums, most of which are either double or triple albums, my vote would go as follows:

1) Made in Japan (Deep Purple)
2) Live Scenes from New York (Dream Theater)
3) Yessongs (Yes)
Steven Brodziak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Brodziak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 17:58
No Frampton Comes Alive?  He CAN play a gee tar.
Well, there it is. (Amadeus)
By--Tor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote By--Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 19:44
1) Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same
2) Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
3) The Chicago Transit Authority
4) Allman Brothers - Live and Fillmore East
5) The Who -Quadrophenia
6) Pink Floyd - The Wall
7) Yes - Yessongs
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 20:57
Blomljud by Moon Safari.  What about albums that are released in multiple volumes?  Like Bath and LYBM by motW and Sleeping in Traffic by Beardfish. Those get my vote.
Blue Effect View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Effect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 23:55
The Lamb
Tago Mago
Made in Japan
Second's Out
Double Live Gonzo
One More From The Road
Still
Swelled and Spent [the original, the reissue with the deluxe cc sounds like crap]
Crackers [ok that's cheating with a triple]

Some of my faves off the top of my head.

jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jean-marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 06:42
a few more thought not the whole prog, most of chicago albums, barclay james harvest live and live tapes, gentle giant playing the fool , al di meola splendido hotel , isaac hayes shaft , rory gallagher irish tour , camel a live record , flying burrito brothers live in amsterdam , marillion the thieving magpie , canned heat living the blues , dire straits alchemy , 

Edited by jean-marie - February 22 2011 at 06:44
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jean-marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 06:46
PLUS   rypdal odissey , tangerine dream encore and polland , spirit spirit of 76simple mind live in the city of light
Ijon Tichy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ijon Tichy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 09:41
If I exclude Live Albums, it 's not easy to say because many are in fact three-siders blown up with more or less adequate fillers. For me even The Wall , Lamb Lies and Topographic count to that group. What comes to my mind is Canarios' fantastic Vivaldi adaption "Cycles". A magic box from beginning to end. Outside prog it 's easy: "Songs in the key of life" by Stevie Wonder 
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 09:46
Trrrrrrrooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuttt Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssskkk Reeeeeeppppllliiiicccaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
33rpm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33rpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 13:13

The White Album - The Beatles
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
Living in the Past - Jethro Tull
Miles of Aisles - Joni Mitchell
Sleeping in Traffic - Beardfish
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis
Chicago Transit Authority - Chicago
Playing the Fool - Gentle Giant
Vinyl just sounds better!!

thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thehallway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 14:07

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road!

(apart from the reggae song...... yuck Dead)

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 14:29
Originally posted by boo boo boo boo wrote:

I like Lost in the Supermarket. Ermm

The fact that you name that the lowlight of the album and NOT Jimmy Jazz speaks volumes about your mental state.

And please never say "diaper burrito" ever again.

I'll leave that to you Wink

Never say never (whoops, I've said it twice) LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jean-marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 14:53
i forgot klaus schulze live in polland
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 15:46
I tend to exclude live albums in these type of threads but if we are going there then
Mike Oldfield - Exposed
Tangerine Dream - Poland
Rush - Different Stages
IQ - Forever Live
Genesis - Seconds Out
Par Lindh Project - Live In America
Jean Michel Jarre - The Concerts In China

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 15:51
Originally posted by 33rpm 33rpm wrote:

The White Album - The Beatles
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
Living in the Past - Jethro Tull
Miles of Aisles - Joni Mitchell
Sleeping in Traffic - Beardfish
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis
Chicago Transit Authority - Chicago
Playing the Fool - Gentle Giant
Yep forgot that one .Also Chicago II is worth including. Must be the only band to start their career with three double albums!
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 18:57
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and Tales from Topographic Oceans
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boo boo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 20:54
I'm glad I'm not the only one who realises that Tales is a brilliant album wrongfully demonized by trendhopping idiots who get angry at things they don't understand.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 21:13
Originally posted by By--Tor By--Tor wrote:

2) Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
3) The Chicago Transit Authority
4) Allman Brothers - Live and Fillmore East
5) The Who -Quadrophenia

Bob Dylan's album B on B, is a monster and deserves the mention ... it was one of the first albums to really blow folk music out of the water and you should have seen the cockroaches and bad folksters come out of the woodwork. It's almost like at the time, it belonged in each small area, and to no one else ... and all of a sudden, most of the local "folk" is nothing compared to this new kid.

In many ways, that album blew out radio and the value of the music and the lyrics, a lot more than the Beatles or Rolling Stones or anyone else.

CTA and Chicago 2 ... deserve the mention, and they are 2 albums I love dearly, and think that PA should start the American version of "Progressive" music to validate a lot more work, other than just pop music. Chicago was not pop music in its first 4 or 5 albums, although they did have some hits. And I have never seen a bad Chicago show!

Allman Brothers -- that album is a keeper. But I am not sure it needs to be listed as "progressive" ... it's just great music by a band that really did something nice at a time when it was needed, and it meant more than ... just nothing and pop music, or plain top of the pops.

The Who - Quadrophenia ... I always felt it was very good. Just not sure that everyone at the time had listened to it properly and given it a good listen, because at the time, things were turned nasty against long cuts and "conceptual" music ... and The Who, was one of the bands that said ... I don't care! This is what I'm doing! ... and they stood out for it. It might not be considered progressive, as music per se, but it is in every other aspect of the whole thing, and a conceptual idea, not different than DSOTM at the time, or Genesis, and in many ways, it was much more honest music, and a heck of a lot more honest, and it did not have to dress up in drag, or costumes to get the point across, or use ten fancy keyboards to create great music, which is the bad part of the "progressive" definitions demanding groups to have a big keyboard sound.

I am not adverse to the idea of progressive music ... I am only adverse to the finnicky and attitude that limits the music designs to one thing and one thing only, when it could easily encompass many others and show that ... there were a lot of people that really wanted to do more with their music ... than just a pop song ... but then, we're only interested in top of the pops anyway ...we even have a "top list" ... and we love to discuss the monsters ... just exclude the very people that inspired so many of these monsters, and were also there at the time, also doing quite good and important things.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 22:44
Originally posted by boo boo boo boo wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who realises that Tales is a brilliant album wrongfully demonized by trendhopping idiots who get angry at things they don't understand.

it's f**kin' boring
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>