Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe German Side of Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 19:55
Ijon Tichy is also on tube. But it is in german, and I mean, you really have to be good in german to understand it. Because Ijon Tichy, the main character, is supposed to be a russian cosmonaut, so he speaks german with a false russian accent. The name is a 'speaking name': Ijon is similar to ion and 'tichy' in russian means 'silent'. Though he speaks all the time. He flies in a space ship that looks like a living room. His only company is a female hologram.
So here is the episode about the time paradoxon in the theory of relativity (part 1 of 2):

Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2011 at 15:26
All this time I thought I was the only member here from Germany. Ouch

(actually, I'm not 'from' Germany, but it's where I live currently).
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2011 at 15:29
Handshake   NO ... you're not alone ....

nice Ijon Tichy videos btw - the fist time I came across Smile

Ijon Tichy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 14:25
Originally posted by clarkpegasus4001 clarkpegasus4001 wrote:

Originally posted by Ijon Tichy Ijon Tichy wrote:

Stuart "Stu" Hamm is an american bass player-guru especially known for his artistic tapping technique. He worked with Steve Vai, Frank Gambale and others, made several solo albums. Mostly fusion stuff, but that album I menchant, his first , featuring Allan Holdsworth a.o., is worth to check out. As for Philip Dick 's Novels.  

Hi, yes I know who Stu Hamm is, I don't have anything by him, but i've seen a lot of him playing on Youtube, he's a very good player although he uses tapping a lot which is a technique I actually don't like much. It's Philip Dick who I havn't heard of.

You 're right. Put on that album after a couple of years. Too technical. But because you pick the Rick:  Do you know Hellmut Hattler and Kraan? Cool Kraut-Prog-Jazz (just invented that term)
Ijon Tichy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 14:40
Originally posted by Valarius Valarius wrote:

All this time I thought I was the only member here from Germany. Ouch

(actually, I'm not 'from' Germany, but it's where I live currently).

You should know: Germans are everywhere. According to your logo: you 're into Heavy Prog or FC St.Pauli?
clarkpegasus4001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 20:31

Originally posted by clarkpegasus4001 clarkpegasus4001 wrote:

Stuart "Stu" Hamm is an american bass player-guru especially known for his artistic tapping technique. He worked with Steve Vai, Frank Gambale and others, made several solo albums. Mostly fusion stuff, but that album I menchant, his first , featuring Allan Holdsworth a.o., is worth to check out. As for Philip Dick 's Novels.  

Hi, yes I know who Stu Hamm is, I don't have anything by him, but i've seen a lot of him playing on Youtube, he's a very good player although he uses tapping a lot which is a technique I actually don't like much. It's Philip Dick who I havn't heard of.

You 're right. Put on that album after a couple of years. Too technical. But because you pick the Rick:  Do you know Hellmut Hattler and Kraan? Cool Kraut-Prog-Jazz (just invented that term)

Let me see now......Hellmut Hattler? mmmm' oh, yes! the blonde haired guy with spectacles? Only what i've watched on Youtube. He is a good player. He had a natural Ricky in the very early 70's which i'm sure was a 4000 bass with an added humbucker at the neck, Martin Turner from Wishbone Ash has one of those (since been made to look like a 4001). Hellmut later used a 4001 which had an added pick up in the middle, very unusual ! I think he uses something that resembles a Precision now in white that has two pick ups. How do you describe their music? from what I recall it sounded a little bit like Focus only with psychedelic/jazz  influences? I havn't heard them for a long time, i'll look them up on Youtube when I have the time, not now though as just got back from playing a gig myself, it's 2.30am and i'm very tired! Smile  PS: I disaprove of modding Ricky basses!! that's a sin! Wink

Edited by clarkpegasus4001 - February 25 2011 at 20:34
Tony C.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12