Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Kayo Dot, Birmingham Hare and Hounds, 16/02/2011
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKayo Dot, Birmingham Hare and Hounds, 16/02/2011

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kayo Dot, Birmingham Hare and Hounds, 16/02/2011
    Posted: February 22 2011 at 09:34
Anyone thats been on this forum for a while will probably know that I'm a Toby Driver fanboy, so it probably doesnt take much to guess that I spent all of wednesday bouncing of the walls waiting for the evening and my first ever chance to get to see Kayo Dot live.

I was expecting this to be an all Toby Driver affair with the opening act being Jeremiah Cymerman (apologies if I spelt the name wrong) playing clarinet, followed by Tartar Lamb II then Kayo Dot headlining. I should have checked the venues website before going as you can imagine my surprise when Bilbao Society took to the stage to open the show. After the initial suprise of having a metelcore group open up, I began to listen to them much more closely. Best described as a mix of Between the Buried and Me, Sikth and Protest the Hero I quickly found that I really liked these guys and their adventerous music and the look of wearing all white with UV lights being the only lighting on stage. Though the singerss performance was a little over done and the keyboards where largely irelavent on the first couple of songs it didnt take them long to get into their stride and I can safely say that I'll be buying their debut album when it they release it later this year.  

Next up was Jeremiah's solo performance. What his music consists of is slow, ambient electronic soundscapes with his clarinet being played over the top. Jeremiah has a very interesting style of playing where he seems to "feather" the sound, playing very fast notes and he has two mics set up, one with lots of reverb on, to give him extra controle of the sound. For the first 5 minutes it was very interesting but after 20 minutes of the same thing I was rather board with it, its just not my kind of thing.

Now it was time for Kayo Dot. Being my undisputed favourite band, I was rather worried that I'd been expecting too much from them, can their live performance match up to my demands. The goosbumps I felt during the opening song, Calaniction Girl, told me that they very much could meet my expectations. Driver and co where fully able to render the bleak atmospher and complexity of Kayo Dot's music live perfectly, even given their propensity for improvisation. In fact, I'd say this went a long way to making some pieces they performed bettter than their studio counterparts. Whisper Ineffable really comes alive on stage and Johannes Doepping performance on drums was fantastic, taking centre stage, so to speak, for the chaotic part in the middle of WI. He's probably one of the most musical drummers I've ever heard. The set consisted mainly of Coyote and a couple of songs off of KD first two albums, Choir of the Eye and Dowsing Anamone with Copper Tongue and the result was that it was quite a short set. I'm not complaining though as they were brilliant and Ron Varod's guitar and keyboard work did a very good job of covering the gap in Mia Matsumiyas absence and the performance of The Antique was highly apreciated. Biggest surprise of the evening or me though was the closer, __On Limpid Form. I dont like the studio version of this track at all, and the live version that came on the bonus CD-r with Coyote last year wasnt much better for me, yet the performance of the ull 18 minutes of it had me rapt with Doeppings expressive drumming once again being largely responsible for holding my attention throughout the second half of the piece.

I think its safe to say that this was the best live performance I've ever seen.

Full set list:

Caloniction Girl
Whisper Ineffable
Abyss Hinge
The Antique
___On Limpid Form 
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 10:14
^ That's all they played??

No pictures or anything? Cool
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 17:25
It is, like I said a short set.

I did take my camera, but to be honest I was to enthralled with the performance to remember it.

progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 01:57
Now you've made me really jealous! Seeing Kayo Dot live is still a dream for me. 
Great review
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 08:18
^No its not, if I'd written it last thursday it would have been better!LOL I've waited 4 years for a chance to see KD and they were everything I'd hoped for (even bought the Stained Glass T from Toby himself and got a chance to tell him how much I enjoyed myself).

progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 18:35
That's awesome. Really wish I could see them live.

Here's a video from the show that someone took, looks amazing: 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2011 at 17:13
^surprisingly good sound qualty, though the lighting wasnt that red.

Post Reply Post Reply