Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 12:27
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

It would be much more hard core just to sit down with the teacher and talk about the course and various things you covered. Like a 5 or 10 minute conversation. You could practically cover an essay test's worth of writing, save time, and have it be much less annoying. No annoying writing, no annoying reading annoying writing.

Major problem with that.

Sure grading an essay is someone subjective, but a conversation is greatly subject, and worse, there is no document or record of your conclusions or analysis.  Then teachers who harbor ill feelings against certain students can really shut them down.  At least with a written essay, if you feel you've been graded unfairly, you have something you could show to the department chair or an administrator.
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 12:15
For my exams in university I get multiple choice AND essay questions. 

I am on a science course though, so it  is a good means of testing whether or not I know certain facts (multiple choice) and how those facts are applied to different situations (essay questions).
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 12:12
As far as actually assessing what people really know, essay, but honestly those are a huge pain in the ass. You not only have to think about what you want to say, but then write it down over the course of an hour or two until you hand is going to fall off. Philosophy finals, man. Philosophy finals.

It would be much more hard core just to sit down with the teacher and talk about the course and various things you covered. Like a 5 or 10 minute conversation. You could practically cover an essay test's worth of writing, save time, and have it be much less annoying. No annoying writing, no annoying reading annoying writing.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 11:51
^I like that. Tests shouldn't just be memory contests but actually measure understanding and reasoning abilities
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 11:47
As a teacher, I never once gave a multiple choice test unless the state required it.  Every single assessment I gave was open-ended.  It was time consuming for me to grade, but as an English teacher, open-ended assessments enabled me to gauge students' overall comprehension of not just the material, but syntax, grammar, clarity, etc.

I should add that all of my tests were open-book as well.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 11:36
When I arrived to the US' education system I was baffled at the amount of multiple-choice, scantron-based tests you have here. Everything becomes a choice between options. In a way, it's easier: you can appeal to pure luck, and you can appeal to your memory being "ignited" by the gaze at that one word who reminds you of the answer. I used to think this was inferior to an essay-type exam where you actually had to answer questions using reason and your memory, too. 

But then I've gradually welcome the idea of multiple choice as more fair. In the end, when they thrown a lot of information at you and they want to know if you remember stuff, a multiple-choice 100% objective test is fairer than one where the professor judges your answers subjectively. A few professor can judge only how well argued your opinion is, but some will judge even your opinion itself. 

Then I've concluded it should depend on the subject at hand. But some exact science teachers still prefer essay tests, and some social science teachers prefer multiple choice tests, which seems rather incoherent. Thoughts? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12