Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Krautrock Space

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 64>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 16:36
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

That was priceless! Very funny parody of Kraftwerk. Ironic that BillBailey did this as he was the cynical voice behind the Prog rock doco! keep posting these hidden gems 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 18:41
Originally posted by The Wrinkler The Wrinkler wrote:

It really was a tough album, I felt myself getting lost, not even knowing how long I've been listening to a certain song, or what track I'm on. I feel like it's one of those albums that you don't put on to listen to for fun, but just to see where it takes you. Thankfully, I got out fine and in once piece Smile

Just remember one thing ... a lot of the krautrock stuff, and specially the likes of Klaus Schulze, Cosmic Couriers, Popol Vuh and the like, are not about "songs" ... EVER.

It's about the experience. As time goes by, you will learn to appreciate it more and more, including the subtleties in them. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zravkapt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 07:34
A.R. & Machines - "As If I Have Seen All This Before":

Agitation Free - "Ala Tul":

The Wrinkler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Wrinkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2011 at 00:18
Ala Tul isn't working, but I do know and like this song. Bummer, because for those that haven't heard of Agitation Free or this song, they're missing out Cry. The stuff I've heard from A.R. & the Machines are awesome... still need to find myself an album though... but this will do for now Tongue
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2011 at 00:40
Hey Kraftwerk freakazoids! I am proud to announce two new photo slide shows I created for youtube/ Please watch and comment. Nothing new, album covers and pix online but it was enjoyable to put it all together with 2 of my fave songs.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Wrinkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 23:50
Going out tonight...

Wish there was lounges that played CAN, that would be my favorite place to go Tongue
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zravkapt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 06:29
How many Can fans have heard this song:

Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 09:56

^ That must have been a smashing hit LOL

Love it, hearing just that drumtrack and I'm off to unearth my Siouxsie & teh Banshees albums again!

Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 10:00

Here's another of their lesser known tracks, an improv they frequently did live, sometimes up to 35 minutes. Love this peel session version, which goes on for a bit longer still on the album

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 13:38
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

How many Can fans have heard this song:

I think I have a fairly complete CAN catalogue, but I can't see this link right now and check later.

I also have lots of Irmin Schmidt and Holger Czukay ... in fact as much as I live Can, Holger's first 2 solo albums are totally out of this world and still listed in the top of my favorites ... and he once told me he didn't like them ... !!!!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Wrinkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2011 at 15:58
Wow... never seen those 2 videos, those are awesome!

Keep the vintage stuff coming! 
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paravion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2011 at 05:27
< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">

Limbus 3 - Oneway-trip from the record New Atlantic: Cosmic Music Experience (1969)
Inside the gatefold of the record you read a German extract of Francis Bacon's novel Nova Atlantis (1623) wherein is emphasized the unlimited possibilities of music-making as well as some notes written by the band member Gerd Kraus: "Es geht nicht um virtuose Beherrschung eines ausgeprägten Instrumentes, sondern um geistige Polyphonie. Das is eine Arbeitsmethode. Mandalas, Katalysatoren der meditation, feingewobene Teppiche, auf denen man sich unendlich weit tragen lassen kann"
Which means that it (music) is not about mastery of a well-known instrument, but about spiritual polyphony. Kraus gives hints how to listen to the record - you'll need a finely woven oriental rug and a meditative state of mind - perhaps catalysed by engaging in designing mandala (I use yoga postures) then you're ready to be taken infinitively far away by this cosmic music experience.

It's all very serious, and few records can bear titles like "cosmic music experience" without being subject to ridicule. This one is great, they know what they are doing - and it's probably my favourite meditative record. It's uncompromising, perhaps a difficult listening (little melody, loosely structured..) but it's very unique - primarily due to the many exotic acoustic instruments, for example the valiha - a Madagascan folk instrument.         

In 1970 Limbus 4 (addition of a band member) issued the follow-up Mandalas on the no. one kraut label Ohr. Even more instruments, better production and a little more focus on structure - just as good
eerieair View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eerieair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 23:06
Originally posted by Paravion Paravion wrote:

"Which means that it (music) is not about mastery of a well-known instrument, but about spiritual polyphony. Kraus gives hints how to listen to the record - you'll need a finely woven oriental rug and a meditative state of mind - perhaps catalysed by engaging in designing mandala (I use yoga postures) then you're ready to be taken infinitively far away by this cosmic music experience."

the "god" cortex?

thank you for all the video links.

Edited by eerieair - March 20 2011 at 23:07
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 23:16
I love Krautrock.  I'm a real newbie to the genre...just started listening to Can and Neu!, and will soon be hearing Faust.  Thanks for making an awesome thread.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 00:27
Roman Bunka and his band with a track from his first solo alnum. this video should make clear why he is one of my favorite guitar players:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 19:24
Hi,

If you like Limbus, there are a couple of others you might want to listen to that are very serious meditation stuff ... Wolff and Hemmings, of course, have a nice series with "Tibetan Bells" and all of the albums are excellent, and a total meditation.

Even better, and far more meditative and for the initiated and adept ONLY, would be Frank Perry's 2 albums, Deep Peace and New Atlantis ... and these are intense enough that I have only met one person that could listen to them at length before they freaked out and had to say something because they could not trip any further without distracting themselves, or getting away from it.

I have a whole bunch of Stephen Micus albums, and they are similar, but I can not tell you right now the connection, or if it is merely experimentation, which I don't think it is. I think his name is D. Parsons and has a pair of CD's relating to the Himalayas, whose title fails me right now. Lovely meditations!

Now you know why "progressive music" (and long cuts) are not appreciated by many folks ... they are not used to "concentrating" and "staying there" ... in order to learn more about the experience ... go ahead and ask Jean about that ... and in many ways, for me, this was the special side of "krautrock". You get Popol Vuh doing the meditations with hardcore electronics, and then you get Guru Guru and others doing it with rock music, and then this and that doing it with a little jazz ... and it was far out for me ... it was the "modern meditation" for me ... and I loved it with all my heart and then some.

In the end, it is an important "experiential" thing ... the rest, including my words ... not always valuable, because most people have never experienced to have any idea what I am talking about. And I consider myself a highschooler, when it comes to meditation and internal things -- but because of language and culture changes in my teens and later ... guess what my talent is ... "translating the unknown" ... and I love the internal life and living and loving ... and music that lives there is truly special.

One other German with music that is also out there ... Deuter ... although he says he devotes the music to the Rajneesh and his people, in the end, it is excellent music and very well attuned to the internal trip.

Most of us in the western world are not tuned to enjoying a raga or an internal trip ... we're way too mental to be able to get there -- and rock/jazz/classical/popular music, is not "free enough" to allow it to happen, at least not within the context we talk about here for the most part. There are some exceptions on the ECM label, but they are hard to find and understand.

Like the dreamers love to say ... it's about "the unknowable" ... and our communication with it!

Edited by moshkito - March 21 2011 at 19:30
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 20:31
Mosh, have you ever heard Dzyan?
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 04:22
also if you like Limbus 4 try "Meditation" and "Bali Agung" by Eberhard Schoener. here an example:

by the way: why is Eberhard Schoener still not in the archives? mystery of mysteries

Edited by BaldJean - March 22 2011 at 04:27

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paravion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 04:23
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Even better, and far more meditative and for the initiated and adept ONLY, would be Frank Perry's 2 albums, Deep Peace and New Atlantis ... and these are intense enough that I have only met one person that could listen to them at length before they freaked out and had to say something because they could not trip any further without distracting themselves, or getting away from it.

Thanks - sounds interesting - will check out on occasion. 

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

One other German with music that is also out there ... Deuter ... although he says he devotes the music to the Rajneesh and his people, in the end, it is excellent music and very well attuned to the internal trip.
His first album "D" (1971) is a masterpiece - the rest of his catalogue seems to me to be rather boring new age stuff. (not really that much into it - but what I've heard is very disappointing compared to the amazing "D")

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 13:48
Originally posted by Paravion Paravion wrote:

His first album "D" (1971) is a masterpiece - the rest of his catalogue seems to me to be rather boring new age stuff. (not really that much into it - but what I've heard is very disappointing compared to the amazing "D")

And this is the only album that could/should/would be described as "krautrock", or at least it has passages in it that fit the description really well.

Eberhard Schoenner ... is gonna be tough for this place ... because he is all over the place, and very good, although in my book his later stuff went down hill a bit for my tastes. I think, can not verify it, that he is responsible for helping The Police come together.  Bali Agung is great, but one of my all time favorite albums for meditation ... is .... you got it ... Tranceformation ... it was the first album to mix Gregorian Chants, Electric Guitar and Electronics, I think. And the guitar? ... Andy Summers! ... and in the next two or three albums ... you got Sting singing.  ... "Why Don't You Answer?" ...

I would like to add Eberhard to this group here, but writing about him is gonna be tough ... not sure I have seen a whole lot about him ... I'll see what I can do about this.

There are a lot of electronic and experimental folks in the mid 70's, that was really exciting, and I hope to make a small list of them and the things I have ... both German and French were massive in this area.
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 64>