Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Krautrock Space

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 64>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 16:35
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

I know that you're gonna say : "That duck is crazySmoke ", but I hear hints of Kraut in that James Brown's song.

I can hear hints of Kraut in Kraftwerk   LOLLOLLOL
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 17:28
Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 03:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 09:38
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 01:56
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 17:25
The return of the Krautrock space! 

Been spinning a lot of Krautrock lately especially during the weeeeeeeee hours of the night. Quite a few modern acts too such as Vespero and Lumerians, which both are bands that lie very close to the early German strain.
Another band I've completely fallen for is American act Grails. Man these guys are unique! The closest thing I can get sonically speaking, is perhaps calling them a modern take on Popol Vuh. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever come across anyone who's reminded me of Florian and the boys.... 
With Grails you get rock too - like in LOUD crashing sections showing tiny hints of the band's early post rock days. Now though, they've evolved into this beautiful meeting between east and west - not like you normally get when rock bands tend to merge these things and all you really get is a lukewarm sitar and some clumsily played tablas. Grails take their inspiration from the long breathing almost droning quality of reeds and harmoniums you hear in the far east. The guy playing the acoustic twelve string guitar does it through some kind of pedal coming off distinctively Indian in feel. Then again there's also blues in there - Hank Marvin The Shadows vibe rolling along in the more quiet electric guitar passages.

Judge for yourself, I found some rather crude live vids of them - I hope you get the gist of what I'm saying:

Here's two studio cuts, if you're interested in a better sound quality:

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 21:15
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 09:51

Strange to see how the french people have always be passionate by the avant garde in rock and in jazz too. Kevin ayers was the first to say that.

Nope ... it was already around during the days of Edith Piaf, Gilbert Becaud and whoever else was there.

I've always thought their jazz was off the wall! ... with no bricks!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
yes.2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yes.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 15:29
Being a musician,

The discovery of CAN moved mountains inside me.
If anything, CAN convinced me to try and be an artist rather than a pioneer.
There's no way I can outshine CAN. Not without going insane.
I drank what?
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 19:55

Austrian Kraut Question

Great album Pierre and it has that Krautrock spirit for sure.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 22:35
Yes. Excellent and very special, Thanks John for this one. Hug
Sequined_Tears View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sequined_Tears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 16:53
All I can say is MAGMA.

I love CAN, Guru Guru, Kraftwerk, Ash Ra Temple, Torok Adam and Mini, Neu!, Space Debris, Architectural Metaphor (especially when they had a chic playing drums).  But for me it all starts with Magma.
I threw five clocks down on my bed
The chimes danced out on golden threads
And turned to footprints on my wall
Sequined Tears began to fall...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 23:31
Kraut with a jazzy psych and even funky touch. 1976. I like it Heart

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 00:33
^ That is so good!  Thanks man
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 01:57
You re welcome. Try this one too, especially this long and trippy suite, 

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 11:14
So I just played my new 2007 version of Amon Düül ll's Wolf City, and it was as brilliant as ever. I know this album like the back of my hand, so I was pretty surprised when I suddenly got 3 bonus tracks to boot. 
First two tracks are out of this world! First one called Kindermörderlied(childkillersong if I'm not mistaken) is this beautiful Karrer lead symphonic piece. I had never heard this before, and it literally blew me out of my socks.This is without a doubt my new favourite song:

The next tune had me returning rather confused to my stereo, checking if it indeed still was the same band, and that my music hadn't suddenly developed a mind on its own and switched records on me. Mystic Blutsturz is the name - meaning mystic bloodrush, and mystic it certainly is. Call me crazy but this is Amon Düül ll gone proto IDM. Completely electronic piece that reeks of The Orb and FSOL. I thought it was a remix at first, some underground hipster dj who had come across this band and made some kind of dance version of it, but no. This is a piece credited to John and Renate - and it's a killer electronic trackShocked
Check out for yourselves, it's so bizarreLOL 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zravkapt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2013 at 08:13
^I hate to say it, but I really think that second track is some kind of a remix. The drum machine sounds like something from 1980 at the earliest. Some of the synth tones are a little too bright for the era the album was recorded in. Interesting track but I think somebody spiced up a demo.
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2013 at 09:46

Back in the late '70's & early '80's when record stores had an "Import" section I bought two records from that bin. I had no idea what the music or the artist was about. I was pleasantly surprised when I got home and played it on my turntable. I loved  both albums and was proud and happy I'd made a great discovery.  Anyway, the other night I was relocating my vinyl lp collection to another part of the room and came across those two particular albums.

Krautrock guitarist MICHAEL ROTHER (Of NEU, later a short stint with Kraftwerk & Cluster), two solo albums, "Flammande Herzen" ('77), and "Sterntaler," ('78) became a mainstay in my daily playlist. On both albums he teamed up with CAN drummer Jaki Liebezeit, Rother on guitar & keyboards. But Rother's style was very different from the manic psychedelic jazz & rock improv style of the other Krautrock bands. It was a softer, dream-like, and at times almost ambient-like melodic style which I found very enjoyable. Sterntaler is my favorite of the two. At the time I didn't know anything of his background, but did my best to find out more up to the late '80's. I'm glad I relocated my albums and rediscovered him. I hope he's still around and playing.

Smile

- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2013 at 10:45
please check out the German neo krautrock band Instant Drone Factory headed by guitarists Frank Gingeleit and Andrea Tabacco (in the back)

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_band/7394.jpg

they refer to the 1960/70s but are a modern and unique outfit. I just have posted a review of their current album from 2011, which really convinced me. A new one (Moving Into Darker Places) is nearly finished and will be released this year ...

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/7394/cover_187112672013_r.jpg

you can listen here
on soundcloud

Edited by Rivertree - August 03 2013 at 10:51

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2013 at 05:06
Haven't been to this forum for years so I apologize if this has been brought up before over the course of a 40-something page thread, but Krautrock and the related progressive electronic scene's basically the only kind of prog I still listen to regularly... and I've started wondering what it is with the Ancient Egyptian vibe much of that music gives off to me, more so than with other countries' prog/psych rock scenes.

In the cases of Agitation Free and Ash Ra Tempel it's obviously intentional, but I also get some of that vibe from the first Cosmic Jokers LP as well as quite a bit of Tangerine Dream's material: Phaedra, Rubycon, especially Ricochet as well as the Tangerine Tree recordings from Le Ponts de Cé 1973 and Adelaide 1975 concerts. Not sure how much of it's just me, though, going by the titles of those two TD studio albums it's probably more a Greek/Roman mythological atmosphere they were aiming for.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 64>