Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Krautrock Space

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 64>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 00:24
^ Ooooh.............Quantum Physics
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 16:44
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Confused
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 00:08
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Confused
the last track on side 2 - one of my fave Can pieces......I once got an e-mail from Holger with an amusing account on how the track Quantum Physics was recorded. I printed out his response but I can't find it
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 22:49

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Confused
the last track on side 2 - one of my fave Can pieces......I once got an e-mail from Holger with an amusing account on how the track Quantum Physics was recorded. I printed out his response but I can't find it
Oh.....I'll have to re-listen to that album. I have tried to get into the more angular Krautrock bands over the years but I just can't seem to be moved by them. I do like Amon Duul 2 and Agitation Free.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 10:04
B.U.M.P. - the Peel Sessions
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 10:11
Can Unlimited Edition  album cover

Always liked that one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrK8RGNYljw

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 10:17
UE is one of my favorite Can albums, actually.  It has a weird flow to it that I like - pieces that don't really belong together, creating a strange world.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 11:02
I bought a remastered copy of Ege Bamyasi on vinyl, it sounds great.

They seem to have recently re-released the entire discography, I saw Monster Movie and Tago Mago for sale as well which I will probably pick up soon
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 07:00
Yeah the Brain label is responsible for me buying vinyl copies of Monster Movie, Ege Bamyasi, Soundtracks and Soon Over.. plus this strange thing called Doko E....which turned out to be a horrendous sounding "live" album with a great cover no less:

Heck last year I bought a ton of Krautrock on vinyl. My faves are without a doubt the see through NEU! 75, the baby blue with swirls I got of NEU! 2, the debut and follow up Kraftwerk in one release (red and green vinyl).
That's without mentioning Yeti, Tanz, Embryo's Opal, and about 7 TDs and 4 SchulzesEmbarrassed

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 02 2014 at 07:14
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 07:08
Oh and for the love of god - do go listen to the new Electric Orange album!!! 
It is nothing short of brilliant. Krautrock like it's supposed to sound - that real fumbling around in big caves with small flashlights - exploration is what it is. 

LISTEN TO THE SUITE BEEF - It's good for ya.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 10:13
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

It is nothing short of brilliant. Krautrock like it's supposed to sound - that real fumbling around in big caves with small flashlights - exploration is what it is. 

Amen, Brutha....One of the years best. Are we going to get a ravin' and droolin' review from you at some stage of it, Dave?

The CD is pretty much lodged in my car stereo, just playing and repeating over and over....pretty sure I superglued the front of the player as well so there's no way it can ever come out!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 08:50
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Amen, Brutha....One of the years best. Are we going to get a ravin' and droolin' review from you at some stage of it, Dave?

The CD is pretty much lodged in my car stereo, just playing and repeating over and over....pretty sure I superglued the front of the player as well so there's no way it can ever come out!

I am trying to get my head around that review actually, but it continues to steer in other directions: wants to read a book, watch a movie or walk long walks with electronic music accompanying.
Maybe I'll just wing it, I mean I already know what I want to say about it. Just a matter of persuading the ol fingers to partake in the endeavour.

Btw does anyone else know Herbert F. Bairey's Traumspiel? It's from 1979, but it rather sounds like an adventurous 1971 offering with nods to Indian music, avantguarde acoustic, tribal percussion and some eerie Schulze like synths. Hell there is even some majestic symph prog in there at one point! The only thing Jootoob has got from the album is the track Runnin' though, so you'll have to settle with one of the more percussion laden parts of the album, although it shifts for a more esoteric expression during the latter half of it's running (hoho) time.

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 09:26
Coming on a next 4 little gems. Excellent sutff, buddy. I adore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcYRDYQlFkA
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 09:53
Oooh, Pierre! Is that CD still easily (and affordably) available?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 10:13
Ha, just whipped up the `Volume 10' review eh Dave?!

Brilliant stuff, my friend! I knew you'd write a great one for it, as only you can!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - October 05 2014 at 10:14
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 10:20
Thanks KangarooSmile

Let's see if there are any Cherokee proggers out there!

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 11:59
Yes Kangoo, the Cd is available and cheap. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 13:14
Thoughts on these clips, fellas?

Thought I'd mention them in here....As much as I've always loved German band Krokodil's `An Invisible World Revealed, I've not given much time to their other frequently bluesy albums. But I bought the CD of their final album `Sweat and Swim' many years ago, barely listened to it and noticed it was on my Ipod at work tonight. Despite at least half the album being a little rubbish, there's pretty cool psychedelic stuff like the two tracks below that drift closer to Krautrock bands like Amon Duul, with a bit of the the West Coast psych bands. I definitely picked up more of a Kraut vibe on parts of this album, and Duul freaks would probably dig these clips?

Krokodil - Daybreak:

Krokodil - Linger:

I wouldnt exactly advise going out of your way to track the album down, though....Hardly essential.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 13:20
Delicious Krokodil 

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 14:10
The Russian posters here are so not going to find that funny, hellogoodbye...
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 64>